Video Game Critic - Print Edition

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Video Game Critic - Print Edition

Postby MSR1701 » December 29th, 2020, 8:13 am

Over recent years, I have seen a rise in the physical publication of multiple books featuring reviews of games, usually for SNES and NES games, with a few other system books published.

If the VGC were to release a print of his reviews, I would certainly buy a copy, as the reviews are informative, funny, and nostalgic (I have been reading the reviews from this site since 1999 when I was in high school, going so far as to print out hard copies of the site as new reviews were published).

Any one have any thoughts?

pacman000

Re: Video Game Critic - Print Edition

Postby pacman000 » December 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Might be best to release them as a series, one book for each major system, plus an extra volume for each decade's less-successful systems.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 29th, 2020, 1:29 pm

I was thinking 1980-2000 for “volume 1”.

That said, that seems like an awful lot of work, also because he’s constantly adding new reviews (even for old systems), it will be outdated as soon as it’s printed. The website helps it to be fluid, so to speak.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 29th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Ah, but a printed version would be more permanent, & you could access it offline. He could always produce an updated version, like Leonard Maltin's film guides.

I think '80-'00 would be too big; he already has ~180 pages of 2600 reviews. (Copied/pasted them into Word this afternoon, to see how long a book would be.)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 29th, 2020, 5:35 pm

pacman000 wrote:Ah, but a printed version would be more permanent, & you could access it offline. He could always produce an updated version, like Leonard Maltin's film guides.

I think '80-'00 would be too big; he already has ~180 pages of 2600 reviews. (Copied/pasted them into Word this afternoon, to see how long a book would be.)

That's bloody brilliant. There may be a kernel of a solution looking for a problem. How about self publishing as a Kindle book? When the Internet goes dark or Dave forgets to pay the bill we'll have a backup copy available for download.

(kidding)

Although, a coffee book with some of the more humorous reviews would be kind of cool.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 29th, 2020, 7:08 pm

You know, when I began my site my long term goal was to publish my review in book form (not e-book). However, as Voor mentioned, the content is so fluid that the web site is really ideal. Also, I wonder if I could make any money off of the book(s)? Would I need an editor?

I obviously have looked into it much, but would not rule it out. I know Brett Weiss has published a lot of these and could probably offer some advice.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » December 30th, 2020, 3:47 am

What about making a "Top 50 Games Of All Time, By The VideoGameCritic". I think you have that on this site but it could make a nice book if you also had some nice images to go along with it. Alternatively it could be the best 50 games and the worst 50 games :mrgreen:

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 30th, 2020, 11:36 am

Over the years, I've bought a lot of video game books that are review compilations, or "100 Best Games", etc. I have at least 20+ books in my collection that are like this, and there must be a growing market for them because they show up way more frequently on Amazon than they did 10+ years ago. Funding a VGC book would be a fairly low risk endeavor for a publisher -- the content is already made, you already know it's good content, you already know it has some established fanbase -- it's just a matter of editing, formatting, and printing. You have too much content for one book, so it'd be a matter of dividing it into systems, eras, or some other method.

I agree that Brett Weiss would be a good resource for figuring out the logistics and industry contacts for this process.

Perhaps a print edition would also drive new users to the site, enhancing the popularity of the site and content, which in turn enhances the ability to produce more printed books. Like a cycle.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 30th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Over the years, I've bought a lot of video game books that are review compilations, or "100 Best Games", etc. I have at least 20+ books in my collection that are like this, and there must be a growing market for them because they show up way more frequently on Amazon than they did 10+ years ago. Funding a VGC book would be a fairly low risk endeavor for a publisher -- the content is already made, you already know it's good content, you already know it has some established fanbase -- it's just a matter of editing, formatting, and printing. You have too much content for one book, so it'd be a matter of dividing it into systems, eras, or some other method.

I agree that Brett Weiss would be a good resource for figuring out the logistics and industry contacts for this process.

Perhaps a print edition would also drive new users to the site, enhancing the popularity of the site and content, which in turn enhances the ability to produce more printed books. Like a cycle.

Brett is a real nice guy and accessible on Atari Age i'm sure he would help out

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » January 10th, 2021, 2:27 pm

It’s definitely worth considering releasing some form of print version. ‘Coffee Table’ books for gaming, especially retro, crop up quite often on ‘Top Gifts for Gamers’ lists, especially around Christmas.

I’m not sure how difficult it would be to publish, but self publishing is always an option.

Return to “Video Games General”