Unforgivable mistakes in games...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

Unforgivable mistakes in games...

Postby Paul Campbell » December 30th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Recently my kids wanted to start playing the New Super Mario Bros games on the Wii and Wii U with me in multi-player mode, and I have suddenly become aware that I absolutely hate and cannot play these games in multi-player mode for one GLARING reason: every time another player dies, all the other players freeze briefly. For some reason this CONSTANTLY kills my momentum or screws up a precision jump I was in the middle of. My kids don't seem that bothered by it, but I HATE it, all the more because this "feature" has completely ruined an otherwise excellent multi-player experience for me. And I can't fathom the reasoning behind it, nor can I comprehend that the game got through enough development and play testing without enough people pointing out what a massive deal breaker it is.

Am I the only one? Anyone else have any deal breakers in games?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Unforgivable mistakes in games...

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 31st, 2020, 10:38 am

One thing I hate is when a game allows your character to overlap with an enemy, and you can't hit him but you're taking damage the entire time!

Not sure if that's a mistake or just poor design.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 31st, 2020, 12:32 pm

I’ve played through the Wii and Wii U games with kids as well and died many times due to the pause issue you mentioned.

Between that and the no overlapping, it turns a pretty easy platformer into a tough game.

Often, after dying on a level a dozen times, I would say “why don’t we just let daddy play this one?” And change it to one player for that level. Lol.

I can’t remember if the DKC games had that same issue or not, but despite being designed harder, I remember liking those more (probably because players could overlap at least), although those “barrel riding” levels made me want to pull my hair out.

I look forward to playing 3D world when it comes out later this year.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 31st, 2020, 8:05 pm

Immortals: Fenyx Rising. The gameplay is decent, but the writing absolutely ruined it for me. A good story can make up for mediocre gameplay, and good gameplay can make up for a mediocre story. But the never ending parade of jokes that never once managed to make me smile turned what was admittedly a pretty good game (mechanics wise) into pure torture.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 31st, 2020, 10:54 pm

For me, the most common unforgiveable mistake is an insane difficulty. There are a few rare exceptions where the gameplay is based around extreme challenge, especially if there are infinite instant retries after death (Shovel Knight and Hotel Miami come to mind as examples). But for 99% of difficult games, especially older games, the difficulty kills the whole experience no matter how technically perfect it might be. Comix Zone (Genesis) comes to mind as one that had the chance to be an all-time favorite for me, if only I could beat more than one level..

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 1st, 2021, 9:50 am

Retro STrife wrote:For me, the most common unforgiveable mistake is an insane difficulty.

I don't mind high difficulty so much, but if that difficulty is RNG-dependent (i.e. you have to be lucky to win) or otherwise involves deliberately wasting the player's time, then I get very grumpy.

I think the most unforgivable mistake was probably the one in Impossible Mission for Atari 7800, since it literally can't be beaten. Way to waste the time of tens of thousands of players, Atari!

Hagane

Postby Hagane » January 1st, 2021, 10:16 am

- When there isn't any indicative of when a boss is dying, he doesn't blink, doesn't change color or doesn't have a lifebar, you feel somewhat lost.

- When an enemy takes lots and lots of hits to die, it becomes boring very quickly, even a boss should not take that long to die, much prefer interesting ways to kill a boss with only 3 hits than hitting a boss a thousand times to kill him.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 1st, 2021, 11:15 am

Retro STrife wrote:For me, the most common unforgiveable mistake is an insane difficulty.

There are different kinds of difficulty IMO. I do not mind too much if the difficulty spikes, say, on a boss. You die many many times but each time you learn something about the behavior. After many attempts you beat the boss and then nine times in ten on a replay you will emerge the victor. Games like Hollow Knight follow this beat. While it can be unfair in some respects (i.e. spawning you miles away from a boss making it tedious to learn the pattern) you can largely navigate your way through any boss or obstacle with patience (apart from perhaps the Path of Pain which is just a ridiculous and punishing segment resembling an obstacle course loaded with deathtraps).

What I loathe is the difficulty curve where even if you can dodge, time an attack, dodge again the enemy/boss is a punishment sponge and a half hour grind fest ensues. This frankly is not fun and sometimes I wonder why Dark Souls or Monster Hunter style games get so much love. Bosses or enemies that take too much damage are not fun particularly when their attack patterns are obvious and avoidable - the phrase mind numbingly boring comes to mind where often you die from a mistake because your mind drifts elsewhere.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 1st, 2021, 10:31 pm

@DrLitch, I agree with you about Hollow Knight. While there’s a couple boss fights I wish were slightly easier, overall I found the difficulty to be tough-but-fair and a good part of the experience. On the other end of the spectrum, Celeste is a recent indie that comes to mind as really testing my patience with its insane difficulty.

Mostly though, it’s 8-bit and 16-bit games that come to mind with this flaw. Growing up, it was more common that I found games impossible to beat, than that I found games I could beat. A Game Genie became a must-have accessory. And it wasn’t just my age, since I don’t do much better when I revisit them now. I never understood the theory behind that level of difficulty. It’s hard to like a game when you can’t get past Level 2 and it sends you right back to the beginning of the game when you lose your 3 lives.

strat

Postby strat » January 2nd, 2021, 5:26 pm

Megaman X5, the whole game.

Return to “Video Games General”