Unforgivable mistakes in games...

General and high profile video game topics.
lynchie137

Re: Unforgivable mistakes in games...

Postby lynchie137 » January 2nd, 2021, 8:17 pm

Games that switch the action and jump buttons. With the vast majority of old NES titles, the B button is your action button and your A button is your jump button. And this is something that works really really well. But every so often you'd see some game programmer get a wild hair up their butt and for whatever reason flip this around and make the A button your action button and B the jump button. It's something I just can't get a handle on, and I really hate it. Why try to fix something that ain't broke??

strat

Postby strat » January 3rd, 2021, 12:01 am

Or better yet, the bass-ackwards Bart Vs. the Space Mutants where A is the jump and run button (B still handles actions).

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 3rd, 2021, 12:43 am

strat wrote:Or better yet, the bass-ackwards Bart Vs. the Space Mutants where A is the jump and run button (B still handles actions).

Yeah. That's as sloppy as all get out. Makes it really hard to hit your mark. Especially later on in the game where there's one section in whch you have to jump what seems like a billion little platforms. If the controls were tighter, that wouldn't be so tough. But because the controls are such a mess, it just makes that section an exercise in frustration.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 3rd, 2021, 12:51 am

Just thought of another one: Games that have only one life. I was playing Castle of Dragon for the NES earlier on today, and all I could think of after playing around with it was how in the world did anybody manage to beat that thing in just one go with no continues or checkpoints?? Seems darn near impossible, if you ask me. Now, this isn't a problem in RPG's because you can save your progress. But in a side scrolling action game or platformer or a beat 'em up, this just in creases the difficulty tenfold artificially, making getting through these games a real hassle. I guess they must have thought that by giving the player only one life they were extending the replay value. But for me, it does the exact opposite.

Tron

Postby Tron » January 3rd, 2021, 1:15 am

The illusion of choice.

Skyrim is notorious for this. The way the game is written it appears that the player will be able to make a choice only to find out that they have no choice.

For example when you get to Riften nearly all the townsfolk complain about the Thieves Guild. The game builds you up on the idea that you will want to destroy the Thieves Guild. Then you come to find out that after you attack them they are unkillable.

Unkillable NPCs is another unforgivable mistake. Build the story around the player’s choices, not forcing to follow scripted stories.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 3rd, 2021, 2:34 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Just thought of another one: Games that have only one life. I was playing Castle of Dragon for the NES earlier on today, and all I could think of after playing around with it was how in the world did anybody manage to beat that thing in just one go with no continues or checkpoints?? Seems darn near impossible, if you ask me. Now, this isn't a problem in RPG's because you can save your progress. But in a side scrolling action game or platformer or a beat 'em up, this just in creases the difficulty tenfold artificially, making getting through these games a real hassle. I guess they must have thought that by giving the player only one life they were extending the replay value. But for me, it does the exact opposite.

There's a twist in Castle of Dragon, though: when you start a new game after a GAME OVER, you actually keep some of what you had from the previous run (I think it's your max health but don't quote me on that).

Same thing with the sequel Sword Master, you actually keep the experience you gain from each failed attempt.

djc

Postby djc » January 4th, 2021, 12:18 am

My gripe is with button configuration and placement. Just because the controller has 28 buttons does not mean the game has to use all of them. Not too long ago, I tried playing a COD type game and couldn't even make it through the tutorial because of the finger theatrics needed. I'm a musician (keyboardist) and even with that I can't handle the dexterity of these newer console games. This pretty much ruins the games for me.

On the flip side, games that really need to use more than one or two buttons but for some reason map multiple functions to the same button.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 4th, 2021, 2:25 pm

^^^same here. I think that’s why I prefer my genres: racing and platformers. I just simply have a hard time remembering what all the buttons do, even in something like breath of the Wild.

But I don’t think I’m in the minority because many more games today have on-screen button prompts (that tell you which button and/or show you via a mini controller) than they did in the old days.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 4th, 2021, 5:32 pm

1. Broken/unfinished games sold at full price.

2. Games that require rapid fire, but don't include a rapid fire option to spare aging tendons.

3. Games which force the player to trick the widow, just so we can see how bad the developer's weird cuckold/rape fantasy looks on Dreamcast hardware.

4. Any game which confuses car alarm worthy PC speakers from the 80's with a full symphonic orchestra.

5. Psychic damage sponges that instantly punish you for retaining any sense of immersion. Especially if they're not a boss.

Return to “Video Games General”