Why does the Switch has loading times?

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Why does the Switch has loading times?

Postby CaptainCruch » January 4th, 2021, 2:03 am

So, I like gaming but I do not know anything about the technical aspects. However, in the past I always read that the main advantage of cartridges in comparison to CD's are the shorter loading times. So, that was true for my Sega MegaDrive and mostly for my DS/3DS/Game Boy/GBA etc. But now I own a Switch and I feel the loading times are quite long.... So, can someone explain to me why some Switch games have such long loading times, despite being on cartridge?

ActRaiser

Re: Why does the Switch has loading times?

Postby ActRaiser » January 4th, 2021, 8:27 am

I would assume it's due to software compression.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 4th, 2021, 4:18 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:So, I like gaming but I do not know anything about the technical aspects. However, in the past I always read that the main advantage of cartridges in comparison to CD's are the shorter loading times. So, that was true for my Sega MegaDrive and mostly for my DS/3DS/Game Boy/GBA etc. But now I own a Switch and I feel the loading times are quite long.... So, can someone explain to me why some Switch games have such long loading times, despite being on cartridge?

Same reason the SNES had loading times. (Streetfighter Alpha 2, MickeyMania, Batman Forever, etc.) Developers try to fit as much as possible into as little space as possible.

Also, loading times on modern consoles will vary depending on the size and make of your memory card. My New 2DS frequently suffers from Sega CD worthy load times, but that's because it's not designed to handle what I'm asking it to read.

My Switch, by comparison, seems much more reasonable.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » January 5th, 2021, 8:04 am

The Animal Crossing load times are atrocious; especially in hand held mode. The system actually has gone to sleep on me it takes so long sometimes. Feels like i'm playing an old PS1 game or something.

Return to “Video Games General”