50 years of Gaming History in one graphic

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

50 years of Gaming History in one graphic

Postby Retro STrife » January 8th, 2021, 2:27 pm

I just saw this graphic and found it really interesting and worth passing along. Any thoughts or interesting observations? To me, the biggest surprise was that mobile is over 50% of the market today -- with more revenue than all of the "traditional" gaming avenues combined. (And in that same regard, it's worth noting for retro gamers that over 50% of the current market is made up of ephemeral, mobile games that eventually vanish into thin air and might be almost impossible to preserve.)

I also was surprised to see that the PC regained its market lead over consoles, which it originally lost sometime around 2000. I didn't realize that it was growing so fast and that console revenue had stagnated a bit. Back in 2000, I figured consoles would never give up that lead. Similar to mobile, the period of this PC growth seems to speak to the popularity of Steam and other digital-download services.

If anything, these two observations show how out of touch I must be with current gaming trends. The older stuff, though, is more in-line with what I remember being popular at those times, but it's still interesting to see it in this graphic form.

For a closer look, here's the link: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-con ... -size.html

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 50 years of Gaming History in one graphic

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 8th, 2021, 7:25 pm

Very interesting...

Anybody else concerned about the proliferation of mobile games? The problem with that is, people aren't playing those game because they are good. They are playing them because they are cheap and convenient. Like other aspects of our life "cheap and convenient" seems to reign supreme (see: Amazon).

I am impressed the PC market has remained strong. I supposed it represents the opposite of mobile. PC gamers are will to put in the work, in addition to putting up the dough, to get the latest and greatest.

Consoles have remained remarkably consistent throughout the whole timeline, and I think for good reason. It always has been and always will provide the most bang for the buck when it comes to games.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » January 10th, 2021, 7:30 am

Great find and super interesting to see how trends changed. I never realised handheld gaming was such a tiny part of the market now. Are traditional handhelds now pretty much obsolete?

It does bug me that mobile games get grouped into the gaming industry. I suppose that opens up a whole new debate about where the line is drawn to classify something as a 'proper' game - for want of a better term. But plenty of 'proper' games have had mobile releases, even retro ones. But on the flipside, there's too many Freemium games or games that limit your freedom or require you to invite friends to progress, that are surely included in these figures.

Can candy crush really be classified as a proper game? I've played fun variants - the Futurama one was pretty good. But the levels were designed to be impossible to complete most of the time unless you spent money on power ups. I didn't, but it did mean I could only have 4 lives every 4 hours. That isn't a proper game to me. Why should Grandma's absent minded Candy Crush power up purchases be counted towards these figures?

To me, most mobile games feel like the modern day equivalent to Tiger Electronic style games (albeit very sophisticated and much more competent ones) - should they really count as video games? Hard to say when its all available on the same platform through app stores and anyone can make them. There's just too many that are akin to the web browser style games I remember from late 2000s, surely they're hardly a part of the proper industry.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2021, 8:10 am

Likewise it seems like the definition of "gamer" is changing. In the past it was a video game enthusiast, but now there's a connotation that you specialize in a certain game or genre - usually online.

I don't even know if I'm considered a gamer, and I've probably played more video games than anybody!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 10th, 2021, 12:49 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Very interesting...

Anybody else concerned about the proliferation of mobile games? The problem with that is, people aren't playing those game because they are good. They are playing them because they are cheap and convenient. Like other aspects of our life "cheap and convenient" seems to reign supreme (see: Amazon).

They're just 1982 all over again. There's plenty of quality gaming to be found, like Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders and Square's approach to controlling RPGs with a touch screen, but it's buried beneath a flood of bad faith efforts.

It seems like people want the illusion of free gaming rather than actual cheap gaming.

Even if it ends up costing them more to play the free game, and the experience is less enjoyable overall.

Also, the Switch should have been it's own color, blended between handheld and console.

And does this image count dedicated consoles?
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on January 10th, 2021, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 10th, 2021, 12:55 pm

I’d just ignore the mobile gaming category.

Return to “Video Games General”