Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo Once

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo Once

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 8th, 2021, 3:42 pm

I found this very interesting. Can you imagine what video games would be like if Microsoft actually did this? You can bet all your favorite Nintendo titles would be online only by now!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... f=10lNAhZ9

There's really something to be said for having a choice, and I guess we're lucky to have three choices right now.

Shapur

Re: Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo Once

Postby Shapur » January 9th, 2021, 10:47 pm

Thanks. Read the whole thing. Of course it seams a Nintendo acquisition was never going to happen.

I’m surprised, given the rumors at the time, that they didn’t consider acquiring Sega instead. Sega did have a lot of debt4 billion?) but given Microsoft’s ability to lose money that might have been do able. And certainly would have helped them build a better base in Japan.

I’m glad we have 3. But really, Nintendo has moved into its own niche and MS +Sony have acted as a duopoly since probably 2009. We’d all be better off with some real no holds bar competition ala 1990-1995 and 2000-2008

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Good point Shapur. Sony and Microsoft feels almost one in the same now, with basically the same set of games available for each platform. Outside of Halo and God of War, not a lot of blockbuster exclusives.

It's just a shame Sega didn't stick it out. Competition between four companies would have been awesome. Does anyone really care about Sega as a software company? I think they could go away and no one would notice.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 15th, 2021, 8:29 am

Shapur wrote:I’m surprised, given the rumors at the time, that they didn’t consider acquiring Sega instead. Sega did have a lot of debt4 billion?) but given Microsoft’s ability to lose money that might have been do able. And certainly would have helped them build a better base in Japan.

I doubt it would've helped much.

Except for the Saturn which had a very narrow lead in 2nd place over the Nintendo 64, Sega never had a huge console hit in Japan. Even the Megadrive got taken to the cleaners by the PC Engine by a huge margin in Japan. So it's hard to see Japanese gamers clamoring for a Sega Xbox.

Furthermore, Japan is a relatively small country and a small market. We tend to place more importance on Japan than is warranted commercially due to their traditionally very prominent role in the industry itself. Not to mention that it's a market that has been in a nose dive for many years now where dedicated console sales are concerned (It's mobile gaming that the Japanese market has drifted towards or in the case of the hybrid Switch platform, "mobile capable" gaming).

They may have paid big bucks for a Japanese cure (Last valuation of Sega that I saw was something like $6 billion), but even if it had worked, it would've meant maybe selling 5 million units a generation at best in Japan. A pretty steep price to pay for consoles that have sold as many as 90 million units a generation worldwide, essentially without Japanese customers.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 15th, 2021, 8:55 pm

luckily there are now four Choice with the Mighty Atari back with avengence. The new VCS is the next step in the evolution of games.
Check out this exclusive title. It is the killer app for the Atari.
https://www.thrustlander.com/

Amazing state of the Art graphics.. who needs Doom Eternal or COD when you have Thrustlander.. ?

Atari the fourth choice.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 16th, 2021, 8:16 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Good point Shapur. Sony and Microsoft feels almost one in the same now, with basically the same set of games available for each platform. Outside of Halo and God of War, not a lot of blockbuster exclusives.

It's just a shame Sega didn't stick it out. Competition between four companies would have been awesome. Does anyone really care about Sega as a software company? I think they could go away and no one would notice.

Not sure I would agree with that. Sony has plenty of exclusives (God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, Last of Us, etc.). I do agree however that Microsoft's exclusives leave something to be desired. I have not turned on my Xbox One in years and have no plans on buying the new Xbox. However, my PS4 gets plenty of use. I would highly recommend Ghost of Tsushima by the way.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » January 16th, 2021, 11:18 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Good point Shapur. Sony and Microsoft feels almost one in the same now, with basically the same set of games available for each platform. Outside of Halo and God of War, not a lot of blockbuster exclusives.

Ironically, Sega released two of the biggest RPGs of last year with Persona 5 Royal and Yakuza Like a Dragon. Phantasy Star Online 2 is doing great in the west, and the New Genesis game is coming soon to us as well.

The Panzer Dragoon Remake, Streets of Rage 4, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, the endless Hatsune Miku series... It wasn't an empty year for them.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » January 17th, 2021, 10:12 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I found this very interesting. Can you imagine what video games would be like if Microsoft actually did this? You can bet all your favorite Nintendo titles would be online only by now!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... f=10lNAhZ9

There's really something to be said for having a choice, and I guess we're lucky to have three choices right now.

It would have been just as interesting had Nintendo gone ahead and worked with Sony on releasing the Nintendo PlayStation. Or if Atari had been the distributor of the original NES back in the mid 1980s, when Nintendo approached them about it.

Return to “Video Games General”