VGC Book? Top 100 Reviews?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

VGC Book? Top 100 Reviews?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2021, 4:02 pm

Other threads have touched on the possibility of me compiling a set of my reviews into a real book. Not sure it would be worth the effort but I am exploring the idea.

Would the best 100 reviews be a good approach? I'm not sure if I could pick 100 out of my 5500 reviews! Are there any particular reviews that stick out in your mind? Please advise!

Mpls_Vato

Re: VGC Book? Top 100 Reviews?

Postby Mpls_Vato » January 13th, 2021, 4:19 pm

My vote is all 5500 reviews. I’m picturing something that would compare favorably while sitting beside a copy of War and Peace.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2021, 4:21 pm

Mpls_Vato wrote:My vote is all 5500 reviews. I’m picturing something that would compare favorably while sitting beside a copy of War and Peace.

That would really streamline the selection process! Why didn't I think of that?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » January 13th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Dave I like your your articles on these issues. I would combine the two for a book. Beat 50 and worst 50. Expand on the reviews a bit. I think your specials on these would be phenominal. It would certainly peak the interest of many gamers. Coming from the expert of course. I think a lot of peeps would LOL at your review of 2600 Karate. That still keeps me in stiches.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » January 14th, 2021, 4:35 am

What about making a "Top 50 Games Of All Time, By The VideoGameCritic". I think you have that on this site but it could make a nice book if you also had some nice images to go along with it. Alternatively it could be the best 50 games and the worst 50 games :mrgreen:

I copied and pasted this from my response in the other thread.
Thinking about this again perhaps having too many negative reviews could be a bit off putting to some. Having said this some of scathing low score reviews are entertaining stuff!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 14th, 2021, 5:36 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Mpls_Vato wrote:My vote is all 5500 reviews. I’m picturing something that would compare favorably while sitting beside a copy of War and Peace.

That would really streamline the selection process! Why didn't I think of that?

I concur, even if the book had multiple volumes. I'd buy them.

Previously Brett Weiss had been mentioned, I would also suggest Pat Contri's NES and SNES books as examples.

Alternatively, you could also publish based on Decades (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s), then subsequently as "update" volumes (2022 Edition) for any new/updated reviews.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 14th, 2021, 8:36 am

I agree with MSR1701's line of thinking. As you point out Critic, the first trouble with "VGC's 100 Best Reviews" is it's going to be really really hard to go through them and narrow them down. The second problem is it will mostly just appeal to fans of your site. We'd all be interested in seeing your 100 best reviews, but you want a broader appeal than that. You want a random gamer browsing Amazon to take interest. And if they've never heard of your site before, then they likely won't take interest in a selection of 100 diverse reviews. To reach that broader scope, I think your best bet would be review compilation books. Like MSR mentioned, Brett Weiss and Pat Contri are two good examples. It would be impossible to fit all 5500 reviews in one book, so you'd probably have to break it up.

For example, you have a ton of Atari 2600 reviews, so you might start by compiling all of them in one reference book. You might also include Intellivision, Colecovision, and other early systems if you have more room. These early systems are not as popular with retro gamers as the NES, SNES, etc. - but there's also less competition for you from other authors. You could also throw a few of your articles into the book as fun detours - like the story of receiving Atari games on Christmas. Now you've created a book that a random Amazon browser will take interest in, because you're appealing to his interest in Atari even if he doesn't know your site.

The nice thing about this, too, is that the content is mostly already there. You might make edits and pound out a few more reviews to fill in some gaps -- god forbid you get the complainers who are like "how do you do a 2600 compendium without reviewing so-and-so obscure game?" -- but mostly you have it all there.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 14th, 2021, 8:42 am

You might also use a place like AtariAge as a good source to improve and market the book. For example, while the book is in production, you could go there and ask for feedback. Doing that, you simultaneously get great ideas for the book, generate interest from future buyers anticipating its release, and might even interest new users in checking out the website here. It's similar to how homebrewers generate interest there. And perhaps they'd sell it on the site with you too.

jon

Postby jon » January 14th, 2021, 10:07 am

I think it would be interesting 50 or 100 best games of all time and more in depth, longer individual reviews than the game reviews are already.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 14th, 2021, 10:21 am

jon wrote:I think it would be interesting 50 or 100 best games of all time and more in depth, longer individual reviews than the game reviews are already.

I would suggest not changing the review format much, as keeping the reviews in the present format is part of their charm (that and the humor and honest thoughts). If books were to be processed as Volumes as detailed earlier in this thread, that would work well: Volume 1 - Atari and Golden Age Systems (Odyssey 2, Intellivision, etc.) plus relevant articles, Volume 2 - 80s and early 90s (NES, 7800, Genesis, TG16), Volume 3 - 32-Bit Transition (3DO, Jaguar, PSX, N64), Volume 4 - 128-Bit and Beyond (Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox/360), Volume 5 - Handheld and 202X Additions (new reviews, updated reviews, etc.).

I'm game. ;-)

Return to “Video Games General”