Games you hate that everyone seems to love

General and high profile video game topics.
DialSforSam

Re: Games you hate that everyone seems to love

Postby DialSforSam » February 2nd, 2021, 8:39 pm

Never could get into Pokemon.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 2nd, 2021, 9:06 pm

Speaking of beloved games, this update may actually be released this year. If it has online multiplayer, I would be seriously tempted.

https://youtu.be/A0GinqO4lhU

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 3rd, 2021, 7:39 am

Voor wrote:Speaking of beloved games, this update may actually be released this year. If it has online multiplayer, I would be seriously tempted.

https://youtu.be/A0GinqO4lhU

My friends and I were texting about that game and a possible bootleg/release yesterday. I'd buy it without online multiplayer - that group of friends gets together about one a year for a long weekends of movies and gaming, and this would be in heavy rotation with split-screen multiplayer.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » February 3rd, 2021, 9:47 am

strat wrote:
JustLikeHeaven wrote:Mario 64 - It’s aged like a hunk of cheese sitting in the humid Florida sun.

Not everyone has to like Mario 64 (or anything, really) but this makes me wonder if you ever liked it. Apart from "Dire Dire Docks" (which always sucked) and some of "Rainbow Road" it still holds up.

Apart from the graphics which are very dated, the gameplay however aged really well, Mario moves fast, lots of acrobatic moves, tripple jumps, head butts, wall jumps..., and everything very acessible and easy to peform.

Mario 64 is a bit like the first Super Mario Bros on NES, ugly graphics but great gameplay.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » February 3rd, 2021, 12:54 pm

a bunch of popular games were not fun or appealing to me over the years.

COD and similar first-person games -- I hate these! No fun to me. I don't like the realistic depiction of killing human beings, to be honest. But the gameplay really bores me fast. I don't like Wolfenstein 3D either, its boring. Duke Nukem wasn't that great to me, not even on game-starved Sega Saturn. (in contrast, I did think Doom and Powerslave and Metroid Prime were great).

Various Nintendo games -- I get so bored playing the NES and SNES Super Mario games, or Donkey Kong Country. Smash Brothers ain't fun to me. Kirby games aren't fun to me. Now, I can see and admit the quality of these games. But I'd rather play almost any Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog game instead of these. I must truly be a 'Sega' gamer.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » February 3rd, 2021, 8:37 pm

Halo.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 4th, 2021, 10:44 am

Also...
Kid Chameleon (Genesis).... I don't enjoy that game at all.
Strider (Genesis)... well, I don't hate this game, I just find it very overrated. Massive slowdowns and crappy animations, slow awkward jumping... just mediocre for me.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 4th, 2021, 11:02 am

Conker's Bad Fur Day, sorry guys, but this type of game just isn't my cup of tea, since I'm not a fan of over-the-top raunchiness, South Park included, this doesn't click, and the gameplay is just to basic. The story makes no sense and the majority of the humor is pretty juvenile. The C grade the critic gave it is appropriate, I feel this game was pretty overrated. This got remade as Conker Live and Reloaded, nothing has changed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Conker's Bad Fur Day, sorry guys, but this type of game just isn't my cup of tea, since I'm not a fan of over-the-top raunchiness, South Park included, this doesn't click, and the gameplay is just to basic. The story makes no sense and the majority of the humor is pretty juvenile. The C grade the critic gave it is appropriate, I feel this game was pretty overrated. This got remade as Conker Live and Reloaded, nothing has changed.

I remember going into a Funcoland when this game came out. It was running on an N64 and some dude was playing it and laughing his ASS off. I mean, everything about this game was hilarious to this guy. Personally... I really didn't get it.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » February 4th, 2021, 5:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:Conker's Bad Fur Day, sorry guys, but this type of game just isn't my cup of tea, since I'm not a fan of over-the-top raunchiness, South Park included, this doesn't click, and the gameplay is just to basic. The story makes no sense and the majority of the humor is pretty juvenile. The C grade the critic gave it is appropriate, I feel this game was pretty overrated. This got remade as Conker Live and Reloaded, nothing has changed.

I remember going into a Funcoland when this game came out. It was running on an N64 and some dude was playing it and laughing his ASS off. I mean, everything about this game was hilarious to this guy. Personally... I really didn't get it.

Tell me about it, too much emphasis on humor and not enough on gameplay. Rare's most overrated. I like my games to have a purpose just like I generally like to have my entertainment to have a purpose, not just entertain, but give a good message one can apply to real life. Humor is good to have to ease the pain of life, but too much is like getting drunk, and then you don't take important matter seriously. The characters in any medium form either went on an adventure, were sworn to duty, or both, and in either scenario developed in character for an evocative tale. Here's one comparison:
Sly 2 vs Conker's Bad Fur Day
Sly Cooper is a thief who only steals from other criminals (think Robin Hood), and getting caught up in a web of espionage, friendship, love triangles, deception, and backstabbing, he has to consider what's important his friends, himself, the fate of the world. Later he turns himself into Carmelita to let his injured friends walk away. Conker on the other hand is a product of his own greed and selfishness, and it's not until the end (which is a depressing contrast to the comedic nature of the game), that he realizes where his life has gone and instead of dealing with it like a mature man, he drinks his sorrows away.

Return to “Video Games General”