Stories Overrated?

General and high profile video game topics.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Stories Overrated?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 16th, 2021, 12:50 am

Retro STrife wrote:A good example of a traditional walking simulator game would be Gone Home.

There's a game that hits way too close to home.

To the point where I thought an answering machine message in the game was a Skype call on my computer, and I had to stop playing for a while.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 18th, 2021, 12:59 pm

It occurred to me that stories provide a reason to keep a series going.

For example, the lastest Gears of War isn't much different from the others. There's really nowhere else to go with its core gameplay.

However, by incorporating a story it gives them an excuse to put out a new "chapter".

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 18th, 2021, 9:25 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What the heck is a walking simulator?

P.S. What Remains of Edith Finch just went on sale in the PS4 store for $8, down from the usual price of $20. It’s the gold standard for walking sims and one of the highest rated PS4 games (88 on Metacritic). Only takes about 3 hours to beat. I know you usually shun digital downloads, but it could be a good chance to try out the genre and add a review of one. And, quoting this topic, a chance to see if story is overrated.

(P.P.S. Since you’ll wonder- there was a limited run physical release, but it’s out of print and sells on ebay for ~$100. Just go with the $8 digital copy.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 18th, 2021, 10:01 pm

You have my attention!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 19th, 2021, 11:31 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:You have my attention!

Let us know if you end up getting it!

I was just reading up on it again today (and rewatched the excellent ending) and it reminded me of how great that game is. The basic premise: It's a story about the cursed Finch family, told through the exploration of the abandoned Finch home by 18-year-old Edith Finch (the last surviving Finch), and it presents a series of vignettes about how each member of the family met their tragic, untimely demise. Each vignette is like a mini-game of its own, so that keeps the game fresh as you work your way through the 2-3 hour narrative. Some parts are intentionally ambiguous and open to interpretation, so it's good to watch closely and try to finish it over a weekend. But the story is expertly told and can even evoke some emotions, and it's very thought-provoking when you're done (you might find yourself googling for other people's thoughts, like you might do after a good movie). My wife even enjoyed following along to see it play out. There's only like 2 or 3 games she's ever done that for, and Edith Finch was one.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 19th, 2021, 12:03 pm

I don't mind a thin story in short games in retro styles (beat-em-ups, platformers, bullet hells, run and guns, simple puzzle games) but either (A) the instant you put me in 3D or (B) if your game takes more than an hour or two to beat I'm going to need a story to justify it. It doesn't have to be complex or require constant interruptions - the first Portal game and Shadow of the Colossus both tell stories that do little to interfere with your actions as a player but both are fulfilling. If the writing and characters are interesting enough you can interrupt me all you want (Portal 2 and Metal Gear Solid). I don't know if Hollow Knight had the best story but it had a great "breadcrumb trail" - string me along, make me feel like I'm constantly discovering something new about the world I'm in, make me feel like there is something bigger going on even if it doesn't end up adding up to much in the end.

Retro STrife wrote:P.S. What Remains of Edith Finch just went on sale in the PS4 store for $8, down from the usual price of $20. It’s the gold standard for walking sims and one of the highest rated PS4 games (88 on Metacritic). Only takes about 3 hours to beat. I know you usually shun digital downloads, but it could be a good chance to try out the genre and add a review of one. And, quoting this topic, a chance to see if story is overrated.

Probably going to pick this up as well, thanks!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 19th, 2021, 1:24 pm

Gone Home, Dear Ester, etc.

aka non-games

Voor

Postby Voor » February 19th, 2021, 2:18 pm

I wonder if Gris is like this. It’s a short game, minimally challenging platformer with easy puzzles.

One thing it does have have going for it—very cool art style

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 20th, 2021, 9:08 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:

Gone Home, Dear Ester, etc.

aka non-games

Gone Home is an easter egg hunt.

You're constantly exploring, and there's a bit of clues and hidden secrets to manage.

It's not like the "games" where you literally walk down a path while someone reads an audio book at you.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 22nd, 2021, 10:05 pm

Kingdom Come Deliverance, while a choice driven RPG, has a story that could easily make a three part period piece. Extremely well done on this front while offering plenty of humor. When you get involved with a drunk priest I could not help laugh out loud. Things like that make a game memorable. I cannot remember any of the Tomb Raider or Uncharted storylines but I sure as heck will remember Kingdom Come Deliverance. We need more humor in games. Witcher 3, in mid game, three Witchers get together, down shots, get plastered, and end up in dressing in Yennifer's underwear. Classic stuff that makes a game very easy to recollect and thus split from the dross.

Voor wrote:I wonder if Gris is like this. It’s a short game, minimally challenging platformer with easy puzzles.

One thing it does have have going for it—very cool art style

I tried extremely hard to like this but like most things that focus heavily on AV to stir the emotional senses it got lost on me. Games like this have their own beauty and message but often the developer, in creating art, forgets to make a game that also doubles up as a playable video game.

velcrozombie wrote:I don't know if Hollow Knight had the best story but it had a great "breadcrumb trail" - string me along, make me feel like I'm constantly discovering something new about the world I'm in, make me feel like there is something bigger going on even if it doesn't end up adding up to much in the end.

I have absolutely no idea what this story is about. I have played it twice 100% through but the lore and story are told so intermittingly my short attention span has no hope of comprehending it. What I do know though - Nightmare Grimm in his dream form used up more continues than any game in my recent memory.

Return to “Video Games General”