really popular games that you just couldn't get into?

General and high profile video game topics.
ASalvaro

really popular games that you just couldn't get into?

Postby ASalvaro » February 19th, 2021, 1:18 pm

for me it's always been Sonic The Hedgehog...it's just a game that has always totally bored me
i remember it came with my Sega Genesis back in the day and i tried to like it because i only had 3
carts at the time and i still couldn't get into it..i tried AGAIN just the other day on my XBOX 360 and nope
switched games after 5 minutes

also i was never crazy about the original Pitfall...i bought it for my Inteliivision in 1983 and it was a game
that could never hold my interest and plus it always bugged me that it has a 20 minute time limit lol

Voor

Re: really popular games that you just couldn't get into?

Postby Voor » February 19th, 2021, 2:22 pm

Same with sonic. One issue I’ve always had with sonic games are the graphics. They’re too bright and colorful, and I have trouble telling the foreground from the background. I understand that momentum is the name of the game, but that doesn’t resonate with me. Much prefer Mario.

Another: Zelda games. I think they are great games, and I have the same dumb routine: play about 25% and decide that’s enough. Now sure why but my best guess is that I really suck at the dungeon puzzles.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 19th, 2021, 4:12 pm

Monster Hunter for the Wii U

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 19th, 2021, 6:38 pm

The entire Call of Duty series, once they stopped being about celebrating WW2 veterans, or taking real risks like exploring the dying moments of a soldier caught in a nuclear blast.

Or maybe I just miss the days when framing people for war crimes was something the villains in the story did, instead of the developers.

And I could talk about all the historical inaccuracies in the plot (or even just the trailer), without breaking the rules against talking about politics.

Seriously, if a story's going to insist on being that stupid and still take itself that seriously? I'd prefer to at least be fighting literal demons instead.

jon

Postby jon » February 19th, 2021, 8:03 pm

I don’t want to upset anyone, but I tried really hard and could never get into Sonic the Hedgehog. Maybe it’s because I really don’t like the character but also the action just isn’t my cup of tea or I’m not good at it.

I tried recently to play it on the Neo Geo Pocket Color and it was kind of fun but I quickly got bored. I really have a hard time relating to that character. In a way it’s kind of like Crash I just don’t like the character much.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » February 20th, 2021, 8:07 am

Hate to sound like a parrot but I never could get into Sonic either.
The game seems to play itself and I’m just along for the ride.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » February 20th, 2021, 9:20 am

Halo and Super Smash Bros ... no thank you.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » February 20th, 2021, 9:37 am

Call of Duty is more fun in multiplayer competitive action (if one likes that kind of thing). Single player, it along with most First Person Shooters, provide little in the way of engaging story or entertainment.

On this note...

I find many modern First Person Shooters very boring. Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are on the list of "I cannot be bothered to play more than an hour". Very much against the grain of common consensus for games considered contemporary classics.

Not that I have anything against First Person Shooters - S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat, System Shock 2, Halk Life 2, Bioshock, and Black Mesa are among my favorite games of all time.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » February 20th, 2021, 10:24 am

The Tekken games.

I have more fun playing Killing Zone (PS1).

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 20th, 2021, 12:57 pm

GeoX wrote:Hate to sound like a parrot but I never could get into Sonic either.
The game seems to play itself and I’m just along for the ride.

that's exactly how i feel it feels like i'm not really doing anything other than hitting jump lol

Return to “Video Games General”