Time to change my review style?

General and high profile video game topics.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Time to change my review style?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 7th, 2021, 8:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I appreciate those sentiments Jon! I guess it really is like a time capsule of sorts.

It's really an expansive work. Kudos to you for your passion - few critics update this often and for this long.

I've tried to do what you do, and discovered that I can't do it for very long. The second I get no reaction, is the second I delete everything, no matter how many good reviews of my writing I've had in the past. (Even a negative review is preferred, so long as it gives me something to work with.)

What keeps you motivated?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2021, 7:41 pm

What keeps me motivated? That's a good question! For the revamp, I think I've just invested so much time in these reviews over the years that I want to see them presented in the best possible light. I think I have a bit of an obsessive personality.

I just finished the Genesis system, and boy that was a bear. Lots of good reviews in their however.

The next section, Turbografx, should be much easier. The next big bump will be the NES.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 10th, 2021, 10:49 am

Just finished the Turbografx section! The 1990's is done! That was a tough decade. I don't think the 1980's will be as bad. The reviews tend to be a lot shorter.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 10th, 2021, 10:53 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just finished the Turbografx section! The 1990's is done! That was a tough decade. I don't think the 1980's will be as bad. The reviews tend to be a lot shorter.

How many 2600 titles have you reviewed?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 11th, 2021, 7:53 pm

If you scroll to the bottom of the Atari 2600 index it says 501. That's going to be a beast so I'm saving it for last.

Atari XE is done by the way...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2021, 6:37 pm

The Atari 7800 section is done. Just started the Sega Master System.

I noticed a problem in this section which I've noticed in a few others as well. There are four Alex Kidd games, but since they are listed in alphabetical order, you're not reading them from oldest to newest. This can be confusing - especially when one review refers to another further down.

If anybody has any suggestions of how I can get around this problem let me know!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 13th, 2021, 6:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The Atari 7800 section is done. Just started the Sega Master System.

I noticed a problem in this section which I've noticed in a few others as well. There are four Alex Kidd games, but since they are listed in alphabetical order, you're not reading them from oldest to newest. This can be confusing - especially when one review refers to another further down.

If anybody has any suggestions of how I can get around this problem let me know!

Good question, similar issue with Sonic games (read - Game Gear). I usually go by your Published Year for reference.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 13th, 2021, 11:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The Atari 7800 section is done. Just started the Sega Master System.

I don't think this is a problem, really. The date of release answers everything.

But it might be helpful to occasionally have bonus franchise review articles, where we can track the evolution of a series across multiple consoles? Especially since multiplats won't show up in every library.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Sega Master System is done. A lot of those reviews need updates however.

Next up is a big one: the NES! This might take a while...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 14th, 2021, 5:03 pm

acwZ9gX.jpg
Almost There...
acwZ9gX.jpg (6.35 KiB) Viewed 762 times

Return to “Video Games General”