Time to change my review style?

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Time to change my review style?

Postby MSR1701 » April 2nd, 2021, 6:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Saturn is done! Man I was pretty tough on that system.

Next in line?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 2nd, 2021, 11:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Saturn is done! Man I was pretty tough on that system.

You did give 16 out of 140 reviews an F (your highest single grade for the system), but you gave more games A+ to B - than you gave D+ to F- (and more than all C's, too). I don't think you were overly tough!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 3rd, 2021, 8:14 am

As I continue to work my way backwards... Sega 32X and Jaguar are done.

Already did 3DO so Sega CD is coming up.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 4th, 2021, 11:45 am

I just looked at your Sega CD reviews...you thought you were hard on the Saturn?

Just in case you're curious, the reason they didn't include scaling on Samurai Shodown probably had something to do with the compromises on every CD game that includes scaling. Smaller windows, smaller color palettes, or smaller resolution...

Like you said in the 3DO review, it doesn't actually add that much to the game, anyways.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 4th, 2021, 11:53 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:I just looked at your Sega CD reviews...you thought you were hard on the Saturn?

Just in case you're curious, the reason they didn't include scaling on Samurai Shodown probably had something to do with the compromises on every CD game that includes scaling. Smaller windows, smaller color palettes, or smaller resolution...

Like you said in the 3DO review, it doesn't actually add that much to the game, anyways.

Sega CD is an interesting artifact of a transitioning market and limited technology. Everyone was trying to figure out what to do and what the limits were.
I find interviews fascinating on how programming the SCD was a pain due to the hardware of the Genesis/SCD processors.

Also of note is that TGCD/PCEngine CD games have typically aged better than the SCD games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2021, 1:50 pm

In case you're keeping score at home, I finished the 32X, Sega CD, Jaguar, and CD-i section. Currently working on the SNES. This is a big section but most of the reviews are fairly short.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 4th, 2021, 1:54 pm

After consoles, then Portables?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2021, 2:09 pm

That is correct!

My changes are automatically propagated to the "special" themed pages as well. I'm shooting to have this all done by the end of the month.

jon

Postby jon » April 6th, 2021, 9:57 am

What I think is that all of these reviews will have longevity in that for example 20 years from now they will be a great resource. I’m not looking forward to that lol but I think this site has unlimited staying power. For instance obviously I’m a huge Neo Geo fan. And the Neo Geo section here is amazing, and definitely will stand the test of time a long time into the future. I think there’s a lot of people that feel the same way about reviews from other systems.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2021, 8:17 pm

I appreciate those sentiments Jon! I guess it really is like a time capsule of sorts.

Return to “Video Games General”