Are there any Mega drive games that don't run on particular versions of the console?

General and high profile video game topics.
Verm3

Are there any Mega drive games that don't run on particular versions of the console?

Postby Verm3 » March 22nd, 2021, 6:42 am

Are there any PAL Mega drive games that don't run on particular versions of the console? If so, is there a list?

I ask because I purchased a Mega drive game from Ebay that doesn't work on my PAL MDii (it simply produces a black screen) and the seller claims it's because it's a game that is incompatible with the MDii.

goldenband

Re: Are there any Mega drive games that don't run on particular versions of the console?

Postby goldenband » March 25th, 2021, 9:05 am

Yes, there are a bunch of games that won't run on specific hardware revisions. The reasons vary: Onslaught, Populous, Budokan, Ishido, and Zany Golf won't boot on systems with TMSS, Gargoyles won't run on a Genesis 3, and so on.

What game is it?

Verm3

Re: Are there any Mega drive games that don't run on particular versions of the console?

Postby Verm3 » March 26th, 2021, 10:04 am

I found this list on Wikipedia for the Playstation 2. Is there a similar list somewhere for the Mega drive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_2

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 27th, 2021, 11:46 am

I bought a bootleg copy of Aladdin 2 from China. On my Sega MegaDrive model 1 the graphics are black and white. On my Sega CDX the screen stays black. So no more bootleg games for me, I guess.

strat

Postby strat » March 27th, 2021, 10:43 pm

X-Men can't be played on Nomad because of a puzzle that requires the reset button - which isn't on the Nomad.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 28th, 2021, 9:09 am

Virtua Racing will not run on some models of the Genesis/MD that lack the Z80 processor (the game is designed to use that to support the SVP chip). Of official hardware this means the Nomad and the Genesis III, although I think a sizeable amount of knock-off hardware is in the same boat.

There are not many games I recall other than VR that require the Z80 to function, though I seem to recall that there are others out there.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 28th, 2021, 1:51 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Virtua Racing will not run on some models of the Genesis/MD that lack the Z80 processor (the game is designed to use that to support the SVP chip). Of official hardware this means the Nomad and the Genesis III, although I think a sizeable amount of knock-off hardware is in the same boat.

There are not many games I recall other than VR that require the Z80 to function, though I seem to recall that there are others out there.

The Nomad definitely has a Z80 -- you can see it in some of the PCB shots in this thread:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthrea ... bility-mod

I think the Genesis 3 has a custom chip that duplicates the function of the Z80. You couldn't play much audio on the Genesis without either a Z80 or the equivalent, as it handles all the sound routines in most cases.

Not sure about Virtua Racing, but I know the issue with Master System games and the Nomad is that a certain line isn't connected to allow the console to run in SMS mode. There's a pretty simple mod in the thread above that restores SMS compatibility with one wire.

Ah, apparently there's also a one-wire fix for Virtua Racing and the Genesis 3.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » March 31st, 2021, 1:54 am

Thanks for the information.

The game was Dragon's revenge. Fortunately the seller was gracious enough to take the game back for a refund.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 31st, 2021, 11:13 am

Verm3 wrote:Thanks for the information.

The game was Dragon's revenge. Fortunately the seller was gracious enough to take the game back for a refund.

FWIW I think this is likely to be a Tengen problem, as their Mega Drive games are known for going bad because of poorly-manufactured PCBs. The ROMs are fine, so they can be transplanted onto a different board -- it's just the PCBs that fail.

The shmup Grind Stormer is the most famous case, since many copies of that pricy game have gone bad, but the issue also affects other carts. I've personally had a dead Pit Fighter (though that allegedly has a Sega-manufactured PCB so maybe it was a coincidence), and my copy of Davis Cup Tennis also went bad after a while. And I think Dragon's Revenge has been reported before.

It appears that many Tengen games for the Genesis/Mega Drive are, sadly, a ticking time bomb -- at least, the ones released in US and Europe are: the Japanese ones might be fine. Here's a list:

https://segaretro.org/Tengen

Return to “Video Games General”