Different types of gamers

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Different types of gamers

Postby CaptainCruch » April 4th, 2021, 9:21 am

What type of gamer are you?
I changed in the 30 years I have been playing games. Now, I'm pretty impatient and look for the solution within 5 seconds (ah, the blessing of the internet...). Also, I like to play many different games. So I usually stuck to 'easy mode' and only complete the main quest, without paying any attention to the unlockables... because I feel I will never finish a game when I do (I'm looking at you, Nintendo).

On the other hand, my brother plays very few games, but he plays them very extensively. He spent hours collecting and searching for everything in Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, while I played 8-10 other Switch games in the meantime. Also, he likes to notice that I "never really finished those games". And I still won't - I think completing a main quest gives a good impression of a game.

What do you think / what kind of gamer are you? A completionist or a lazy-I-just-want-to-see-many-different-games-gamer (like me)?
Last edited by CaptainCruch on April 5th, 2021, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Different types of games

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2021, 9:31 am

I'm a lot like you I think. I think there's a certain mystique to games I haven't completely beaten. I like the idea that I can pull them off the shelf in the future and perhaps still see something new.

My friend Brent however will obsess over squeezing every last bit of gameplay out of a title, even if it means playing through it multiple times. He beats everything 110% even if doesn't care for the game.

Kids have the time to obsess. My nephew Luke recently bragged to me about spending over 300 hrs playing some kind of emblem collecting game on the Switch. The latest game he just discovered is Street Fighter II Turbo. Now there's a game I can get behind.

Buttermancan

Re: Different types of gamers

Postby Buttermancan » April 5th, 2021, 1:51 pm

I like switching things up to keep things from getting stale. I'll play a fighting game then switch to a platformer. After this I'll turn to a puzzler or first person shooter.
One of the great things about the Series X is that it makes it easier than ever to do this.

Completing a computer game is something I do often. It has to be really quite bad for me to not see the end of a title. However, I am not a completionist, I'll see the main quest/campaign through but I don't care for seeing everthing unless the game is constantly providing surprises and still fun.

Return to “Video Games General”