Anyone else feel they need to finish games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Crevalle

Postby Crevalle » February 10th, 2007, 10:05 pm

So do any of you feel like me--that you almost have an obligation to finish a game when you buy it? I realize it's a sunk cost, but regardless, I find myself playing through games that I don't even necessarily enjoy--just to finish them. It's like it bugs me if I don't.

For example, on the 360, I'm almost done with Lost Planet, but I don't really enjoy it. I'm over half done w/ GRAW, and I don't even like the game. I think they're both above average games, but I don't look forward to playing them--I look forward to finishing them.

Maybe it's a feeling of accomplishment, maybe it's OCD, maybe it's achievements. I'm just not sure.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » February 10th, 2007, 11:14 pm

I think, for real dedicated gamers, there is always an urge to finish up a game. It isn't necessary, however, and shouldn't hold anyone back from trying new things.

I'm not afraid to stop playing a game if I think it's terrible. No harm in that. But what sometimes happens if I like a game, is that stuff will come up, and I won't get back to it for a long while. What happens then is, having not played the game in question for ages, I begin to think, "is it even worth it, when there are X new games waiting to be tried?"

I usually break down, however, and finish up the game. I've never regretted doing that.

One game I've been making ever-so-slow progress on is the Zelda Minish Cap game for the GBA. I peck away, but the game's puzzles can be pretty fiendish (as noted in Dave's review). Of all the Zelda's I've played, it seems to have puzzles that are a little counterintuitive and hard to figure out.

-Rob

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » February 11th, 2007, 4:44 am

You don't like GRAW?! Heresy!

I didn't used to worry too much about it.  I mean I would complete games but not all of them and I wouldn't worry about replaying them on hard.  Since Achievements though I have to finish all my games, on all the settings.  I get so much more value for money that way.  Of course I would never play a game I don't enjoy but then I like most games.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » February 11th, 2007, 6:08 am

Not anymore. Back in my younger NES days, I felt a need to finish the games, and did...Contra, Metroid, all the Super Marios.. but I also collect games and enjoy doing OTHER things as well (like artwork, plus I like to read and bike/hike in the warm months)- there's just not enough time to play every game to the end.

I'll often get stuck in a game and might go back to it in awhile; I just did that with Super Mario Advance 2 -SMworld, after I got stuck on Super princess Peach.

It's nice to win once in a awhile, but the plays the thing. This is one reason I like older games where you DON'T win, just go for a higher score.

andrew

Postby andrew » February 11th, 2007, 3:33 pm

When I rent crappy games I try to finish them to make sure there was nothing I missed that potentially could have been good. I was never more happy to complete Showdown: Legends of Wrestling's horrible career mode. That game was really bad. They illegally brought in their tag team partners every 5 seconds. The only way I won those matches is by having the legal man knocked out outside the ring for a ten count. Not to mention the glitches galore for phantom punches and guys falling over for no reason. Don't bother with that game critic, it's an F worse than ECW: hardcore revolution.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » February 11th, 2007, 6:33 pm

only if youre having fun doing it

if a game isnt fun, then there is no need to finish it

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » February 11th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Great topic!

I used to feel guilty whenever I stopped playing a game.  Now, I'm lucky to finish anything.  The achievements on the 360 have certainly motivated me to complete more games that's for sure at least on that system.  I haven't finished anything on the DS or PS2 in ages.  I'm working my way through Wii Zelda now and am having a blast but that one's going to take several months to knock my way through.

Good times!

Steerforth

Postby Steerforth » February 12th, 2007, 6:28 pm

I finish most my games, the only times I fail is when I am just plain not good enough. I had a save file on the final boss on Metroid Prime but I never beat it and never will, since I sold the game. I only got halfway through MP Echos but I just got tired of it a didn't finish it. For shame! I sold that one as well. The sad part is I'll probably buy MP3 and not finish that too! I really appreciate the quality of Metroid games, but for some reason I struggle through them like I wouldn't on something like Mario.

Also, I have Smash Brothers Melee and will keep it forever, but their is NO CHANCE I will ever beat all 51 challenges.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » February 12th, 2007, 8:10 pm

I finish games I like. For example, I was playing Kill.Switch and got tired of getting near the end of a level just to die and have to start over. Forget it! I can't waste my free time with frustrating games!!!!!! So therefore I put it in my "trade in" file. On the other hand I just picked up Rogue Galaxy which I am really enjoying. That is a game I will play through the end for sure.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 12th, 2007, 10:29 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]One game I've been making ever-so-slow progress on is the Zelda Minish Cap game for the GBA. I peck away, but the game's puzzles can be pretty fiendish (as noted in Dave's review). Of all the Zelda's I've played, it seems to have puzzles that are a little counterintuitive and hard to figure out.[/QUOTE]

Really?  I didn't think so.  I didn't think the game was as intuitive as ALttP or similar, but I didn't think it was that complicated.

No arguments here though   I would be curious in knowing what puzzles confused you though in particular?  Might help me get a grasp on what specifically you are referring to.

Return to “Video Games General”