Shadow Man ps1, DC N64

General and high profile video game topics.
BlasteroidAli

Shadow Man ps1, DC N64

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 13th, 2021, 4:28 pm

My fave game of that gen. Dark twisted but huge. Ultra playable. A joy is getting a re release I have it on pc and the control is iffy but shock horror it is getting an updated release and is out in 2 days on PC, Xbox1 and ps4.

What is amazing is the Critic has not reviewed it from what I can see.
It is based on a comic book. Also the Dreamcast was the best version.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/shadow-man-remastered-releases-april-with-never-before-seen-content-cut-from-the-original/
Shadow man is a voodoo soldier who walks between the worlds keep dead side away from the living. A lot of evil characters want dead side and live side to become one. Shadow man is the one person who is in the way of him. A familiar trope but back in the 90s there was nothing like it. Genre busting. Terrifically hard at the start as you got more powers and unlocked more of the game it became easier.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Shadow Man ps1, DC N64

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2021, 5:56 pm

I have tried to review it. I cannot get past the first screen.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 13th, 2021, 9:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have tried to review it. I cannot get past the first screen.

You get a couple of intro movies where the Voodoo priestess tells you the darkness is coming. You start in a swamp and you need to go forward until you reach the church. This part is pure tomb raider. So after a few really weak puzzles you get to the church, speak to Netty.
When you are in the church you talk to the Netty and she tells you, that you can go to dead side. Look in the inventory. You get out Mikey's teddy bear, Mikey is your little brother who was murdered, when you click on that it takes you to dead side the game begins. You will see two pictures and orange one, that is the church and a dark one. That is dark side. You select that option and press fire. Then the game takes you to deadside. This is where the game begins. equip your gun. Go and speak to Jaunty and he will tell you what the first mission is, though he just hints at it. This game does not hold your hand and you just need to get on with it. The more you play the more you understand.
It is a while since I played it but I just stuck it on PC to see what it was like. I still enjoyed it. I will play through some more later today and tell you some more guidance.

From the manual
GETTING STARTED Shadow Manis an immensely complex and non-linear adventure and, as such, itis inevitable that the less inquisitive might experience the odd hurdle. In order to keep the gameplay satisfying and fulfilling, for most of the adventure you’ll be completely on your own. Luckily, traversing the Louisiana Swamp will have taught you all the fundamental skills required to tackle the rest of the game.However, just in case the Swamp itself is proving just a little too lateral for your liking, here are a few tips and pointers to combat some of the more common problems, mistakes, and oversights.

WHERE IS MY GUN?Mike begins the adventure without any items in his possession, aside from Nettie’s File (which is a source of extremely valuable information and should be read through carefully). The first goal is to find Nettie who, as she says in the introductory sequence, is waiting for you in the church on the hill.I CAN’T FIND THE CHURCH!The church is situated on the top of the hill, overlooking the entire swamp. There is a distinct one-way route to the church, so keep running, climbing, and jumping and you’ll soon arrive.
I’VE SPOKEN TO NETTIE. NOW WHAT?At this point, you are free to explore the rest of the swamp to discover the remainder of its secrets and tackle the rest of its inhabitants. To progress with the adventure, however, you should use Luke’s Teddy Bear to go Deadside, as Nettie advises.

I’M DEEPER INTO THE ADVENTURE. NOW WHAT?Try speaking to Nettie or Jaunty first. If you’re still stuck, try visiting areas you’ve been to already, with any new items or powers you have attained, and study any documents for clues. If all else fails, the following sections will shed even more light on the various tasks and objects which lie ahead.
PROPHECY ITEMS THE PROPHECY Hidden within the Paths of Shadow, The Prophecy contains a letter from Maxim St. James (one of the previous Shadow Men), detailing an ancient prophecy of the apocalypse. This is portrayed as a series of tarot-like cards packed with background details. It can be ‘read’ from the Inventory Screen just like Nettie’s File and Jack’s Journal.
THE GADThe Gad are special markings (voodoo tattoos), which only appear on Shadow Man. There are three types, giving him certain special abilities which all allow access to previously inaccessible areas. Thegads are awarded on completion of specific trials within the Temples.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 14th, 2021, 7:19 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:My fave game of that gen. Dark twisted but huge. Ultra playable.

Add in enemy designs as well. In Playrooms there are dudes on all fours like dogs sporting bikinis.

I absolutely loved this game back in the day and still do today. Being one of the first games in the Metroidvania sub genre it has not aged like other titles. The only real flaw might be some of those jumps you need to make in the one temple while the end boss was ludicrously easy for me. For the time this game was huge, 40 hours plus to 100%.

You gotta love Jaunty and the main antagonist Legion was an interesting villain. A top 50 game of all time for me, easy. Best game on N64 by a mile.

The PC version is unplayable being too dark (and these sorts of 3D adventures are not keyboard mouse fodder) while the Dreamcast game was not really a huge step up on the N64 one. Just do not play N64 version without the expansion pack or on the PS1, it was terrible.

Return to “Video Games General”