Upcoming Re-Reviews

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Upcoming Re-Reviews

Postby MSR1701 » April 28th, 2021, 12:03 pm

goldenband wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:Do you need Dave to tell you that the majority of sports games are trash? Do you need more in depth reviews to go with their D to F scores?

I mean, the majority of all games in all genres are trash -- RPGs, shmups, dating sims, sports games, 3D platformers, whatever -- just like the majority of all entertainment products are trash (hence Sturgeon's law). Sports games aren't really worse in that department, just more self-similar as a category.

I don't think any of us "needs" Dave or any critic to tell us anything. Reviews are useful and entertaining, not a "need". The crucial thing is that the reviewer plays the games in question, rather than just parroting some received wisdom that "everyone knows".

Anyway, Dave likes sports games and doesn't seem to like RPGs -- makes sense, since sports games are basically RPGs for jocks and sports fans -- so he reviews the former and not the latter, and generally does a spot-on job with the sports titles.

I'd say that sports game reviews, specifically, are a big part of what he does -- a big part of his personality, his brand, as a reviewer. So if you resent seeing sports reviews or have contempt for the genre, this is a funny place to hang out! :mrgreen:

Well put!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2021, 3:04 pm

It's true to lean towards the sports side of the spectrum, but don't get me wrong - I like RPGs too! It's just that they require such a huge investment of time to properly review! I do review one on occasion, and hope that in the future I'll have more time to dedicate to the genre.

In the meantime, members of the RPG crew have done an excellent job of trying to fill in the gaps. In fact, their reviews seemed to have benefited most from the restructuring. Their reviews tend to pack a LOT of information, so breaking them into small paragraphs makes them MUCH easier to digest. Go back and read a few!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 28th, 2021, 4:00 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's true to lean towards the sports side of the spectrum, but don't get me wrong - I like RPGs too! It's just that they require such a huge investment of time to properly review! I do review one on occasion, and hope that in the future I'll have more time to dedicate to the genre.

Totally understood. The one that always surprises me is that you haven't touched the Ys series -- I would think you might like some of those games, since they're action RPGs and relatively short.

Some aren't available in English (though fan translations abound), but Ys I & II on the TurboGrafx-16 and Ys III (on all three consoles) are pretty easy to pick up and are well-regarded. Ys III was one of the first SNES games I ever beat!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 28th, 2021, 4:06 pm

goldenband wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:It's true to lean towards the sports side of the spectrum, but don't get me wrong - I like RPGs too! It's just that they require such a huge investment of time to properly review! I do review one on occasion, and hope that in the future I'll have more time to dedicate to the genre.

Totally understood. The one that always surprises me is that you haven't touched the Ys series -- I would think you might like some of those games, since they're action RPGs and relatively short.

Some aren't available in English (though fan translations abound), but Ys I & II on the TurboGrafx-16 and Ys III (on all three consoles) are pretty easy to pick up and are well-regarded. Ys III was one of the first SNES games I ever beat!

Blast, how'd I miss that VGC hadn't reviewed Ys? In addition to the 16-bit releases listed above (Ys III also on Genesis), there are scores across PSP, PSVita, Switch and DS (also PS4).

The PSP has some nice variety of physical released Ys games, including exclusive games (Ys 7), and both the PSP and DS versions of Ys Book I & II are nice versions.

Return to “Video Games General”