Upcoming Re-Reviews

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Upcoming Re-Reviews

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 22nd, 2021, 7:07 pm

I'm nearing the end of my time-consuming project of reformatting of all the reviews into paragraphs. It's be a bit exhausting but definitely worth it. In the process I've made a running list of reviews that need to be revisited.

One thing I noticed is that I reviewed a lot of the most common games in the early 2000's, and these tended to be very brief. Meanwhile as the years progressed my reviews got longer and the games got more obscure. So now I have very in-depth reviews about rare games and shallow reviews about the games that really mattered.

So you can expect to see a lot of "new" reviews for very common games from classic systems. Don't worry, I'll do my best to retain the best parts of the original review (if there are any)! The good news is, since I'm already familiar with the games, they don't require much effort, so I should be able to pump them out pretty easily.

As always, I'm open to suggestions.

goldenband

Re: Upcoming Re-Reviews

Postby goldenband » April 23rd, 2021, 12:32 pm

Sounds good! Just two thoughts: first, be sure not to fix what ain't broke (sounds like you already are thinking along those lines).

And second, the more you can pair these re-reviews with new reviews, the better, as I can't say I get as excited about seeing a front page update with all re-reviews as I do when at least one of the reviews is new.

My favorite thing about your site is the ambition to cover all the games from all the systems -- not just the greatest hits -- so seeing well-known games receive renewed coverage isn't really a priority for me, though I can appreciate that it would mean something to others.

(Of course I'm still eager to see a re-review of Destination Earthstar... :D Seriously, that's about the only review you've ever done that's made me think, "Hmmm, that one needs a re-do.")

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2021, 10:23 am

Looking forward to the "new" reviews! :-D

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 27th, 2021, 6:49 am

You can save time by skipping all the shovelware sports games.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 27th, 2021, 7:12 am

Gentlegamer wrote:You can save time by skipping all the shovelware sports games.

How do you define shovelware sports games?
For instance, in the 16-bit Madden games, there are enough differences each year (gameplay, controls, AI tendencies, etc.) to justify a look.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 27th, 2021, 7:12 am

MSR1701 wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:You can save time by skipping all the shovelware sports games.

How do you define shovelware sports games?
For instance, in the 16-bit Madden games, there are enough differences each year (gameplay, controls, AI tendencies, etc.) to justify a look.

Also, I do use this site's sport reviews to see what I want to sample, good and bad

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 27th, 2021, 3:52 pm

The sports sims reviews are my favorites. And I don't even play sports games.

Each sport represents decades of genre refinement, for better and for worse. And the struggles the development teams faced, against hardware limitations and publisher deadlines, as well as their priorities, are a time capsule of the industry as a whole.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on April 28th, 2021, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 27th, 2021, 5:29 pm

Do you need Dave to tell you that the majority of sports games are trash? Do you need more in depth reviews to go with their D to F scores?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 27th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Do you need Dave to tell you that the majority of sports games are trash? Do you need more in depth reviews to go with their D to F scores?

Actually, yes.

"Most" is a very big generalization, and the VGCs insight has resulted in me picking up more than a few sports games I otherwise would not have touched. Also, fairly certain there was a football game I picked up because of a rules quirk he brought up that made for a different game.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 28th, 2021, 11:43 am

Gentlegamer wrote:Do you need Dave to tell you that the majority of sports games are trash? Do you need more in depth reviews to go with their D to F scores?

I mean, the majority of all games in all genres are trash -- RPGs, shmups, dating sims, sports games, 3D platformers, whatever -- just like the majority of all entertainment products are trash (hence Sturgeon's law). Sports games aren't really worse in that department, just more self-similar as a category.

I don't think any of us "needs" Dave or any critic to tell us anything. Reviews are useful and entertaining, not a "need". The crucial thing is that the reviewer plays the games in question, rather than just parroting some received wisdom that "everyone knows".

Anyway, Dave likes sports games and doesn't seem to like RPGs -- makes sense, since sports games are basically RPGs for jocks and sports fans -- so he reviews the former and not the latter, and generally does a spot-on job with the sports titles.

I'd say that sports game reviews, specifically, are a big part of what he does -- a big part of his personality, his brand, as a reviewer. So if you resent seeing sports reviews or have contempt for the genre, this is a funny place to hang out! :mrgreen:

Return to “Video Games General”