Games you own but haven't played?

General and high profile video game topics.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Games you own but haven't played?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 26th, 2021, 10:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Every now and then I stumble upon a game I haven't played/reviewed. In my sprawling collection I bet there are at least 100 titles like that. I really need to track those down.

I do find it interesting how downloaded games are more likely to go unplayed. I know a few people who have a backlog of Steam games. Is it a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind? Are is there a perception those games are disposable?

For me, it's a case where many of the downloaded games were games I wouldn't have bought at full price. I'd like to give them a try, one day, but sometimes it's more a feeling of "should", rather than "actually want to."

Not that there's anything wrong with "should". Some of my most reluctantly played games, also became some of my favorites.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 27th, 2021, 11:47 pm

Yeah, I'm guilty of this for sure. For years, my desire to collect, and the pace that I bought bundles on Craigslist or hopped on ebay to snag a game that interested me, was way more than the time I had to play them. If I did an honest count, I've never played maybe around 70% of my collection. In some ways, that sounds kinda irresponsible.. and it is. But at the same time, I like knowing that the games are already there if I ever decide to play them. And like djc, I like seeing them on a shelf.. it's like art to me in a way. And hey, if nothing else, game values have shot up enough that I can claim it was a good investment.

Nowadays I'm pretty reasonable about the amount of games I buy -- although even with my PS4, the games I buy outpace the games I have time to play. I also have a massive digital backlog.. like C64 Critic, I buy many of them on sale thinking I'll play them eventually. But I actually think I'm more likely to never play the physical games. Why? It's easy to play digital games-- they're right there on my system, one click away, and they often feel like less time investment. Physical games requiring getting off the couch, and that sounds just plain terrible on a Friday night.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 28th, 2021, 9:42 am

Retro STrife wrote:If I did an honest count, I've never played maybe around 70% of my collection. In some ways, that sounds kinda irresponsible.. and it is. But at the same time, I like knowing that the games are already there if I ever decide to play them. And like djc, I like seeing them on a shelf.. it's like art to me in a way. And hey, if nothing else, game values have shot up enough that I can claim it was a good investment.

This is probably pretty accurate for me - I should do an honest count for myself. I, too, love seeing them on the shelf. And I have started seeking "complete" NTSC libraries for systems, so I've turned into a collector more than a gamer at this point. It is a blast to have buddies over and have them grab games at random off the shelf - could be a game they never heard of, or one that they always wanted as a kid and never played.

Return to “Video Games General”