VGC Console Count

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: VGC Console Count

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2021, 6:57 am

I'm counting 54 right now.

Here are the ones I count as two, despite grouping them together.
Turbografx-16 / Turbo Duo
Neo Geo / Neo Geo CD
Jaguar / Jaguar CD

and of course I'm counting all the systems in the portable section.

Make sense?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 1st, 2021, 9:20 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm counting 54 right now.

Neo Geo / Neo Geo CD
Jaguar / Jaguar CD

Make sense?

Since you can't play Jaguar CD games on the Jaguar itself (and that is true for all the examples), counting them each as two systems makes sense. Much like the Sega CD and Sega 32X - they require a Sega Genesis, but you can't play their games on the Genesis alone so they are each a system.

I don't think I have anything to add for system recommendations... I'm learning from this site about systems I didn't know existed!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 1st, 2021, 9:43 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:The ones I always wanted to play were like the Gizmondo but it is really expensive for something that had such a short life span. All the games on it are abandoned ware so you can download them from various places. 220 to 590 for a handheld console which cost about 129 new.
Action Max. It was some sort of awful vhs video game console. Sounds top trumps for have a terrible console to laugh at with beer and popcorn. Similarly it is too expensive. Though there is this link to it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193898200790?hash=item2d253bbed6:g:DYIAAOSwUJtgLUKz

I was going to also say the Mattel Hyperscan but it looks so awful it is not even worth getting as a joke.

I would not get any of them. 3 trash systems but they are out there.

djc

Postby djc » May 2nd, 2021, 12:17 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm counting 54 right now.

Neo Geo / Neo Geo CD
Jaguar / Jaguar CD

Make sense?

Yep - makes sense to me.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 10th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Changed my mind get that Action max and play it if you still have a vhs player. It could be a real cringeworthy laugh. If I could get one for £20 I would just for the sheer laugh value. Imagine beer, popcorn and atrocious video games for a laugh. Just trying to work out how to get my game (sh**) stick to work now the controller has died on me.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 26th, 2021, 11:38 pm

In all honesty, I would say more PC reviews. I've been a console and handheld gamer my whole life. I'd like to get more insight on the gaming scene I've missed out on from a site I trust.

I know you've already stated you'd rather focus on consoles and handhelds, but you've opened the floodgates when you decided the C64 was worthy of coverage. And you've been more open to collaborations over the years. Why not someone who intimately knows the '80s micro scene, the ZX Spectrum, Apple II, BBC Micro, Amiga, Atari ST scenes? If you can get ahold of him, Scotland is very knowledgeable about that scene. What about someone with a lot of love, knowledge, and information about classic DOS and old school Windows? Or someone who has an expensive setup today?

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 27th, 2021, 10:51 am

I don't know if you would consider any of these consoles, but I would like to see some reviews on some of the British home computers from the 80's. Like the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and the Acorn Electron, to name a few. You've covered other home computer like the C64 and some of the Atari home computers, so why not?

And if you just want to stick to consoles, how about covering the Amiga CD32, which came out in the UK and Europe in the early 90's and died a quick and painful death not long after. It'd be interesting to hear your take on it and possibly some of it's games as well...

Here's the link to the Wiki page for more info if interested in reading up on it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32

jon

Postby jon » May 27th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Logan, that's a great idea. Just for example, I'd love to see what the VGC thinks of the original Doom on the PC compared to the console versions. There's some great PC gaming from the 90's.

m0zart

Postby m0zart » June 3rd, 2021, 6:02 am

Retro STrife wrote:In terms of consoles, you really have that area very well covered.. How about the TI-99/4A idea we threw around awhile back? More of a computer, but I think it qualifies for retro gaming about as much as the C64.

Not changing the subject, but whenever someone brings up the TI-99/4a my heart kind of jumps. It wasn't the first computer I programmed on, but it was the first home computer that I actually owned. I spent huge amounts of time writing programs in TI-Basic, and then TI-Extended Basic, and ultimately UCSD Pascal.

And as you mentioned, it had a lot of terrific cart-based games and educational games. A lot of people I knew that had one just used it as a gaming system. But it's the excitement of programming for it I miss the most. I really miss those old days.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 3rd, 2021, 7:31 am

m0zart wrote:I really miss those old days.

Welcome back m0zart! It's been a long time.

+1 vote for the idea of PC reviews and would expand things quite a bit. Good Old Games would be an easy way to check out a whole string of classic games for really cheap. This sounds like a great idea to me.

Return to “Video Games General”