VGC Console Count

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

VGC Console Count

Postby matmico399 » April 29th, 2021, 1:57 pm

I visit this page every day but something caught my eye today. The VGC has a console account of 50. But when I looked up his console reviews I saw only 41 or 42. I wonder what consoles Dave has that he hasn't reviewed or shared.

goldenband

Re: VGC Console Count

Postby goldenband » April 29th, 2021, 2:40 pm

He plays a lot of RCA Studio II, Casio Loopy, and Tiger R-Zone -- and I mean a lot -- but we're not supposed to talk about that publicly...

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 29th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Lol

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Well it says "system count". If portables count towards that the number should actually be well above 50!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 29th, 2021, 10:13 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well it says "system count". If portables count towards that the number should actually be well above 50!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Does this mean, that we can expect reviews of some of the more obscure systems?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 30th, 2021, 3:55 pm

What obscure consoles do you recommend?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 30th, 2021, 6:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What obscure consoles do you recommend?

Woah woah, VGC making a request for system recommendations? I won't pass this up.. I've long thought the "best" system you're missing is the Nokia N-Gage. Very underrated system - take one look at the game library and you'll agree. The Wonderswan Color is another good one, if you want to venture down that path.

In terms of consoles, you really have that area very well covered.. How about the TI-99/4A idea we threw around awhile back? More of a computer, but I think it qualifies for retro gaming about as much as the C64.

But if you're looking for less commitment, maybe for a one-off write up, it might be easier to find something. Off-the-cuff, the Action Max could be a good candidate, and it's pretty reasonable in price. It's a light gun "console" using VHS tapes with real video and actors. It has 5 "games". One of the games is called The Rescue of Pops Ghostly, shooting comical ghosts in a haunted house. It practically sells itself, right?

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 30th, 2021, 7:02 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What obscure consoles do you recommend?

I can't recommend any but -- besides the Studio II, which we've discussed (?) and isn't too obscure -- it'd be fun to see any of these added to your reviews:

• AdventureVision
  • APF MP-1000
  • Epoch Cassette Vision/Super Cassette Vision (Japan-only)
  • LaserActive
  • Mattel Hyperscan
  • N-Gage
  • Nuon
  • Tiger R-Zone
These cost anywhere from "not much" to "firstborn son". Someone's selling an APF on AtariAge but the games look...underwhelming to say the least! The biggest coup would be the AdventureVision -- I remember seeing ads for that one as a kid...

djc

Postby djc » April 30th, 2021, 7:36 pm

I would say variants of console should not count either towards the total unless they are meaningfully different.

For example, I have my six-switch 2600 on display at home with the rest of my consoles.

I do not display my:
- four-switch woodgrain
- four-switch vader
- junior (my favorite version of the 2600 actually)
- Sears Telegames
- Sears Video Arcade II

primarily because they would take up an entire shelf unit though :)

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 30th, 2021, 8:17 pm

The ones I always wanted to play were like the Gizmondo but it is really expensive for something that had such a short life span. All the games on it are abandoned ware so you can download them from various places. 220 to 590 for a handheld console which cost about 129 new.
Action Max. It was some sort of awful vhs video game console. Sounds top trumps for have a terrible console to laugh at with beer and popcorn. Similarly it is too expensive. Though there is this link to it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193898200790?hash=item2d253bbed6:g:DYIAAOSwUJtgLUKz

I was going to also say the Mattel Hyperscan but it looks so awful it is not even worth getting as a joke.

Return to “Video Games General”