Limited Run Games - Castlevania Anniversary Collection

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Limited Run Games - Castlevania Anniversary Collection

Postby MSR1701 » May 3rd, 2021, 3:40 pm

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Limited Run Games - Castlevania Anniversary Collection

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2021, 5:46 pm

Man -
I already have most of these games but Limited Run makes it so hard to say no! Heck, just the inclusion of Kid Dracula makes it a great deal!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 3rd, 2021, 5:51 pm

This collection also includes Japanese versions of the games, which means different sound channels for NES III... :-D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2021, 8:15 pm

Huh?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 3rd, 2021, 8:18 pm

Due to differences in the Famicom and NES, the music for Castlevania III is different. If I recall, the Famicom had an extra chip in the carts to boost the music.

I downloaded the digital version and found myself playing the Japanese versions quite often for the heck of it. Not as big a thing as the Contra Collection (where Japanese Hard Corps had actual differences), but fun n flavorful.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 3rd, 2021, 10:18 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Due to differences in the Famicom and NES, the music for Castlevania III is different. If I recall, the Famicom had an extra chip in the carts to boost the music.

I downloaded the digital version and found myself playing the Japanese versions quite often for the heck of it. Not as big a thing as the Contra Collection (where Japanese Hard Corps had actual differences), but fun n flavorful.

The Japanese version's music is a dramatic upgrade - it's almost like playing an NES game with a SNES soundtrack. I don't know if I prefer it but it's worth playing through the game at least once to hear it.

One of the other major differences in the Japanese version of Castlevania III is that Grant's default weapon is a projectile - a throwing dagger instead of just a short-range stabbing one.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 4th, 2021, 12:34 am

I've become disappointed with LRG after ordering Hotline Miami 1 & 2 last August, and it still hasn't even shipped yet, nor do they give any updates. It's been like 9 months! They partnered with a similar company, Special Reserve, for the game, so maybe they're the cause of the problem. But either way, it's a mess.

Worth keeping in mind - most, if not all, LRG games are already released games, and available in digital form. For example, Castlevania Anniversary Collection was released 2 years ago in May 2019. I mention this for people who are interested, but are more cost-conscious. I bought the game for $7.99 last year when it went on sale on PS4. It recently was on sale for $4.99 too. So if $35 + shipping and a 4 month wait isn't your cup of tea, you might prefer the $5 option.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 4th, 2021, 6:46 am

Retro STrife wrote:I've become disappointed with LRG after ordering Hotline Miami 1 & 2 last August, and it still hasn't even shipped yet, nor do they give any updates. It's been like 9 months! They partnered with a similar company, Special Reserve, for the game, so maybe they're the cause of the problem. But either way, it's a mess.

Worth keeping in mind - most, if not all, LRG games are already released games, and available in digital form. For example, Castlevania Anniversary Collection was released 2 years ago in May 2019. I mention this for people who are interested, but are more cost-conscious. I bought the game for $7.99 last year when it went on sale on PS4. It recently was on sale for $4.99 too. So if $35 + shipping and a 4 month wait isn't your cup of tea, you might prefer the $5 option.

I had some delays with LRG, though most of the delays were due to Covid and supply chain disruptions (looking at you, Shantae Deluxe Pack...). I would have gotten the Castlevania Collection Physical had this come out sooner, I ended up getting it on digital because patience is something that comes and goes...

That said, I am tempted to get the physical of this, as some of the packs come with a soundtrack CD... Love me some 'Vania tunes, and I have begun preferring physical CDs to digital when able.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 4th, 2021, 4:57 pm

When I order from Limited Run I have no expectation of delivery date. It's sort of like order and forget. Then one day you head out to the mailbox, find a pink envelope, and think "I totally forgot I ever ordered this!"

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 4th, 2021, 7:32 pm

I own this on digital, but I'm still buying the $60 special edition. Talked myself out of the $175 mega version though!

Return to “Video Games General”