Will the Collecting Bubble ever pop??

General and high profile video game topics.
Lucifixion

Re: Will the Collecting Bubble ever pop??

Postby Lucifixion » May 21st, 2021, 6:05 pm

I think we're in a unique situation with how the world is changing. Physical media of all sorts is becoming less common as consumers are typically more interested in convenience than actually owning what they've paid for. It doesn't seem to factor in that you can often go to a brick and mortar store and buy the same game for less than the digital download. I bemoan that many games I'm interested in of modern era are not physical releases, and in almost every case I simply pass. If this continues in the future, and I have no reason to believe video game companies are going to continue to spend money creating something physical that requires manufacturing and shipping, we'll eventually hit a point where video game consoles are entirely digital...oh, right....this is happening now...

To the point, I don't think the bubble will burst based on the industry itself. Maybe in several decades there will be no interest in the primitive games we've all enjoyed since the late 70s to present, but until then, when demand disappears, we're looking at ever-increasing prices. But the way I'm seeing things with the state of the world, we're all in for some sweeping changes that may render such leisure activities a thing of the past. Just wait until Mr. Burns blocks out the sun....

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 24th, 2021, 8:33 am

Mega Man: The Wily Wars is getting a physical Genesis Cart release via Limited Run Games.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... rs-genesis

This was akin to Mario All Stars as it remakes the first 3 Mega Man games for the Genesis. I believe it was a PAL and Japan exclusive and in North America is was on the Sega Channel service. It also appeared on the Sega Genesis Mini console and that was really the first time I had a chance to experience it. And I was fine with that.

It's always been a super expensive cartridge and being able to get the game through Limited Run is perfectly fine for me. If more companies were willing to re-release older games or compilations on physical media I'd be happy. I'd happily stop chasing after stupid expensive original carts.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 24th, 2021, 10:06 am

I doubt it will go anywhere close to what it used to be for game values... With Repro game releases on the rise and as games get older and harder to find in general, original carts will keep going up generally over time.

Of note, even collection releases (digitally or physically) have done little to reduce prices for original releases. Mega Man X1, X2 and X3 are VERY big examples of this, as original carts of any of the non-Japanese SNES games go for absurd amounts of money, yet there have been multiple collections released over the years.

Another example is the Genesis/MegaDrive version of Castlevania Bloodlines, which goes for high dollar. Also Mega Man/Rockman Wily Wars goes for high dollar, even the Japanese version (runs at 60fps instead of PAL 50fps).

High dollar of carts is one of the reasons I am happy with the Evercade, as most of the games I have enjoyed on just the Piko 1 collection would cost quite a pretty penny these days... Yeesh...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 24th, 2021, 10:07 am

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Mega Man: The Wily Wars is getting a physical Genesis Cart release via Limited Run Games.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections ... rs-genesis

This was akin to Mario All Stars as it remakes the first 3 Mega Man games for the Genesis. I believe it was a PAL and Japan exclusive and in North America is was on the Sega Channel service. It also appeared on the Sega Genesis Mini console and that was really the first time I had a chance to experience it. And I was fine with that.

It's always been a super expensive cartridge and being able to get the game through Limited Run is perfectly fine for me. If more companies were willing to re-release older games or compilations on physical media I'd be happy. I'd happily stop chasing after stupid expensive original carts.

I concur, or at least release in physical form on the newer consoles, a la Turrican Flashback. I'd LOVE a Popful Mail release of some kind...

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 27th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Just remember, it is always morally correct to pirate Nintendo games.

Return to “Video Games General”