How old were you when you discovered this site, and how old are you now?

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: How old were you when you discovered this site, and how old are you now?

Postby MSR1701 » May 29th, 2021, 8:14 am

1999 in high school. And been visiting off and on over the years since...

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 29th, 2021, 8:37 am

This thread makes me feel like a relative newbie! I discovered the site around 2011 or so. I'm 42 now, and this site has played a huge role in my video game collection. It is literally my homepage on my phone.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 29th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Very new and nothing personal about it. Just found the site on google on the tail end of 2016. Was having a bit of a retro game craze at the time and seeing all the systems and the little short review style was nice. This is now one of my first sources for finding info about games, mods, conversions, imports, etc.

While I do have different tastes than the VGC, I very much value the sheer volume and styles of the reviews. From late 70's early 80's systems to modern stuff, he has it all. I appreciate that.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » May 29th, 2021, 11:58 pm

Yeah, so I found this site when I was pretty young too, except I was 15 when I found out about the site, not 13.
I'd frequent wikipedia articles for snappy "facts" and was browsing the reception subsection for Super Mario 3d World. Saw some of the game sites I was familiar with and saw the not spectacular but utmost simplistic "Video Game Critic." I was at a phase where I had interest in retro consoles (I mean, I still have a fascination but not exactly as much due to a number of reasons,) add to the fact that I surprisingly share certain annoyances the Critic on modern gaming, so I stuck around. So I guess I discovered the Critic when he was still considered a reliable games journalist, at least according to wikipedia. lol

Seven or so years later and I'm in my early 20's and I've come to embrace modern gaming, just a little. I mostly game on pc, but I still give modern console games and retro game a go out of respect, curiosity or just needing to finish my backlog. I mostly lurk the forums (because I got nothing to say,) but I'll skim a few reviews just to get a second opinion, remind myself of a game I'm getting into, or discover something new. But yeah, even though I stick out like a sore thumb here, it's pretty cool to see a site dedicated to retro and modern games while respecting the niche side of physical gaming.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 30th, 2021, 9:02 am

Crummylion wrote:I'd frequent wikipedia articles for snappy "facts" and was browsing the reception subsection for Super Mario 3d World. Saw some of the game sites I was familiar with and saw the not spectacular but utmost simplistic "Video Game Critic." I was at a phase where I had interest in retro consoles (I mean, I still have a fascination but not exactly as much due to a number of reasons,) add to the fact that I surprisingly share certain annoyances the Critic on modern gaming, so I stuck around. So I guess I discovered the Critic when he was still considered a reliable games journalist, at least according to wikipedia. lol

To provide some context, about 10 years back this site had a wikipedia page and a whole lot of wikipedia references to my site - especially with regards to retro games.

Then one day a Wikipedia editor asked if I "had any enemies". Sure enough, all references to this site were soon scrubbed. Perhaps my critical attitude towards modern gaming got me "cancelled"? (before it was even a thing)

Any way you look at it, it shows how those who run the internet have the power to marginalize those with unpopular views, and that's a problem.

On one hand you could argue this site isn't a real video game review site, because it's unconventional. On the other hand, you might say it is one of the only legitimate video game review sites, since I'm not getting paid so no one holds sway over me.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 30th, 2021, 9:29 am

I think I was maybe twelve or thirteen. I discovered it when I googled "Scary Video Games" and it brought up the Critic's Halloween list. I was dumb back then (some would argue I still am) so it took me a while to figure out there was a whole website attached to that list, and I've been reading his reviews ever since. That makes it roughly fifteen or sixteen years.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 30th, 2021, 11:53 am

2001 for me. I’m 40 now.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 31st, 2021, 11:04 am

I found the site sometime in the early 2000’s, in high school. I was pretty deep into modern gaming at the time, and was just starting to get hooked on retro gaming. My interest was buying dead 90’s systems, and the Zelda games on CD-i caught my interest. VGC was about the only place on earth to find a good set of CD-i reviews, so I ended up here and took his recommendations. After that, my growing collection and my interest in obscure systems (which only he was reviewing) kept me here, and so a lot of my retro game choices have been based on the reviews here. (So if I’ve missed out on any great games, I know who to blame..) These days my collecting has slowed wayyy down, but I still enjoy coming for the reviews and forum discussions that keep me tied into the hobby.

As for the forums, I don’t remember what inspired me to join. But the earliest post I could find was in a topic from 2007 about RPGs the VGC might like, and I chimed in to say he should play Final Fantasy Tactics because of his A+ review of the inferior Vandal Hearts. :lol: I had to laugh because 14 years later I still throw out this request once in awhile. And just to drive me to drink, I know he is going to review an Ogre Battle game first..

Steve

Postby Steve » May 31st, 2021, 5:16 pm

I always figured I was one of the oldest people here at 56 years old. Not sure when joined in order to post to forums (probably post Xbox 360) but I feel like I have been visiting for 20+ years

red_curry_paste

Postby red_curry_paste » June 1st, 2021, 8:57 am

Oh man... maybe 2003? 2004? I was in middle school. Used to post with a few other handles, then stopped for a while.

Return to “Video Games General”