The Power of Convenience

General and high profile video game topics.
jon

Re: The Power of Convenience

Postby jon » June 3rd, 2021, 8:14 pm

I understand that it saves money to have smaller basketball courts but back in the 90’s it seemed like every court was bigger than the ones these days. It seems like all these small courts sprung up over the last couple decades.

The part that really aggravates me is that they’re having rec leagues on these ridiculous 60 foot courts. A half court shot on these courts isn’t even that hard.

Unless you’re playing a ridiculously serious pickup game with great players you’ll find that at least half of the players in a pickup game are out of shape and would really have a hard time keeping up on an 84 foot court. A 94 foot court and that’s the real deal.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 4th, 2021, 11:23 am

I admit that I am quite lazy. I dont play games, just click around and watch others play them. Or write about them. What an effort to even bother typing this out. Nap time!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 4th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Didn't intend to be mean with this thread. It just seems that convenience is driving everything nowadays. All the new trends and successful business ventures are predicated on it.

Which makes me wonder if people are ever going to pack baseball stadiums again. Think about it. You have to drive through traffic. Park. Walk to the stadium. Wait in lines. Spend $10 for a hot dog. Or you could just kick back and watch it at home. I wonder how many die-hard fans are left to go through all the hassle.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 4th, 2021, 3:28 pm

It depends on how much you enjoy something. You like baseball casually, then you’re content to watch from home for $0. But if you really enjoy the in person baseball experience, then going to a game is a “labor of love”.

Convenience isn’t a bad thing. It often gives us back valuable time or helps us realize a more efficient method to doing something. And as we mention, sometimes it helps to make something available that was previously inaccessible. Or take something you just don’t like and makes it bearable. Doesn’t mean people who value convenience are lazy. If you’re a parent, employee, or anyone with a bunch of responsibilities, you take all the help you can get. Lol

I hate grocery shopping, so I love pick up options. My mom loves grocery shopping, and looks forward to it. Likewise, I would happily browse the aisles, wait in lines, and pay too much for a movie at Blockbuster again, but I really liked that experience.

You don’t mind all the old school methods of gaming because you’re “The Video Game Critic” and love investing time and energy into this hobby. If you were “Mr Casual Video Game Guy”, you’d probably be happy to download digital games like a lot of us. Lol.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 5th, 2021, 12:39 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Didn't intend to be mean with this thread. It just seems that convenience is driving everything nowadays. All the new trends and successful business ventures are predicated on it.

Which makes me wonder if people are ever going to pack baseball stadiums again. Think about it. You have to drive through traffic. Park. Walk to the stadium. Wait in lines. Spend $10 for a hot dog. Or you could just kick back and watch it at home. I wonder how many die-hard fans are left to go through all the hassle.

If COVID and years of nonsense troll booking couldn't keep Wrestlemania fans away, then baseball should recover.

Besides, if people only cared about convenience, then they'd never become parents.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » June 5th, 2021, 1:27 am

Voor wrote:It depends on how much you enjoy something. You like baseball casually, then you’re content to watch from home for $0. But if you really enjoy the in person baseball experience, then going to a game is a “labor of love".

I agree with this. I am this guy. I've been to 4 baseball games so far this season, and I have tickets to 4 more currently. There will probably be at least a few more that I haven't bought tickets to, yet.

Another example is the movie theater. I've been going to movies all during the pandemic. More than once my wife and I have had a theater to ourselves. Almost every time we've been 2 of less than 12 in the theater. I really hope movies come back, big time. And I have a home theater. I haven't binge watched anything, literally anything, ever. It just isn't my style.

To each their own - that is what makes life interesting!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 6th, 2021, 1:11 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Don't want to go out and rent a movie - we just bring up Netflix with the remote and veg for hours are a time. Don't want to go to the store - we just order from Amazon Prime without a second thought. People don't want to drive to work, so they just get on the computer in their PJs.

Definitely me. I HATE grocery shopping with a passion. The only problem is if they forget even one thing or get one thing wrong then it defeats the whole purpose of their business. I might as well have gone to the store myself! Also I love working from home. Some swear they love going to the office each day, but that's most certainly not me. Can't play video games while I work from the office! And who wants to sit in traffic, ever?

Return to “Video Games General”