The Power of Convenience

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Power of Convenience

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2021, 6:09 pm

I saw an interesting quote on the internet the other day "convenience is one of the most powerful forces in the universe". I don't think that's an overstatement!

We see it in all parts of our lives. Don't want to go out and rent a movie - we just bring up Netflix with the remote and veg for hours are a time. Don't want to go to the store - we just order from Amazon Prime without a second thought. People don't want to drive to work, so they just get on the computer in their PJs.

And yeah, most people would rather download a game than have to deal with physical media - even if it means not truly owning the game. They don't plan on playing it again anyway. At first I really didn't understand this, but I do now. I'm still sticking with physical media though! They'll pry it from my cold, dead hands!

I'm not sure the emphasis on convenience is really a good thing. My friend and I were at Popeye's the other day, and there was a line of food delivery people picking up orders. How lazy do you have to be to not even bother yourself to get your own fast food? We already had an obesity problem, and now our society seems to be encouraging people to be total couch potatoes!

Thoughts?

jon

Re: The Power of Convenience

Postby jon » June 3rd, 2021, 9:43 am

People are lazy and fat these days and it’s being reflected in what types of games are offered. Pickle Ball it seems is more popular than tennis lately. At the tennis center I go to they a few years ago changed some of their tennis courts to pickle ball courts. Pickle ball is basically half a tennis court and is a joke.

I’ve noticed in basketball the last few years they are building smaller courts because people are lazy. The courts I’ve played on the last few years are all basically maybe 60 feet long. A high school court is 84 feet and NBA and college 94 feet. It really hurt people that are really quick. The small courts really hurt my game and the out of bounds lines on some courts have barely a couple feet before the wall. The style of basketball on these courts sucks and it rewards people who aren’t athletic.

red_curry_paste

Postby red_curry_paste » June 3rd, 2021, 10:56 am

I don't think it's net better or worse - just different. I've spent most of my career working from home, and though it has its quirks and drawbacks, I love it. I don't really feel the need to go into a physical office - to me, it offers no benefit, and doesn't make me any more productive.

As for gaming, Critic, I'm with you. I like having the actual disk/cartridge. I've purchased more than a handful of games through the PS store, and I've noticed that I don't seem to play them as much. I think the ability to purchase them with a click makes it feel less special. I don't feel as compelled to make the most out of them.

Silly, I know. Had I purchased the physical copy, it would be the exact same game. Just some weird psychology...

Voor

Postby Voor » June 3rd, 2021, 11:03 am

Whoa. Lots of judgement here. Lots of people use food delivery services because they can’t physically leave their jobs to go out to get food, or the process is so time consuming that it’s rushed and stressful. And they get tired of bringing sandwiches from home.

I’ve played on a bunch of smaller courts that were built that way to accommodate more courts for more games. I used to play with older guys on a full court, but we stuck to half court “bringing it back” after a change of possession. Not because they were lazy, but the format allowed them to stay engaged more.

Working from home? Half of my company does it, and the large consensus is that the employees are happier, call in less, and are more productive. It’s just not about pajamas. Think about how many people would have been out of work during the pandemic if working from home wasn’t an option.

Digital games are aren’t only a matter of convenience. Unless you’re a collector, don’t like to buy storage cards, or are concerned about potentially reselling/trading the game, there’s no point to having a physical game. Some games are digital only—seems like you enjoyed Hollow Knight enough. 90% of us don’t have a dedicate game room—it’s just a goofy hobby to escape the grind and enjoy along with other hobbies. For those other 10%, enjoy collecting and filling up your game room to your heart’s content. But implying that we are less or lazy is aggravating to hear.

I have a few physical games that are played soooo often, that I’ve thought about trading them in for digital versions. So, convenience is a factor, but it’s not the only (or largest) one.

Sometimes the whole “physical vs digital” debate on here gets old. Judging other people is super gross and it’s disappointing that gamers can be just as bad about that.
Last edited by Voor on June 3rd, 2021, 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 3rd, 2021, 11:13 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:And yeah, most people would rather download a game than have to deal with physical media - even if it means not truly owning the game. They don't plan on playing it again anyway. At first I really didn't understand this, but I do now.
Thoughts?

You don't understand it at all. Not the way I experience it, anyways.

Sure, the convenience is great...a library in my hand? It's a great feeling. But also...

I collect digital downloads because they can't be resold.

My friends don't have a lot of money. I've lost many collections, because I will sell everything to help someone I care about, if they're in serious need.

It's not even a conscious decision. Save the day, regret it later.

Despite its many limitations, digital content feels more like I actually get to own something, just for myself. And I feel more for that digital library I can access anywhere, than I do for the physical libraries I'll never see again.

I also buy digital, because more of the money goes to my favorite developers.

And because many of the games I want aren't available in physical form.

And because Nintendo gives me free credits for buying digital, which allow me to try games I never would have purchased on my own. And that risk? Going in blind?

It's fun.

The second I stop having fun, is the second I quit this hobby.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 3rd, 2021, 11:28 am

Also, the PSP's physical media is garbage, and the system improves dramatically when you're not worried about dust and scratches or slow loading times.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » June 3rd, 2021, 11:46 am

For me, convenience is nothing to do with being lazy, but it's about giving me back more time in the day so I can do things I want to do.

I need clothes? Order online, and it's at my door. Need to run errands picking up various household items? Need groceries? Order online, don't need to leave the house. Now, the 2 hours needed to do that stuff is now free so that I can do other things that I want to do, not need to do.

We all complain about not having enough time to play video games because we're adults and don't have the free time we had as kids. Well, we're living in a age where a lot of things that would normally take hours can be done with a click of a button. And I love that!

Don't get me wrong, it's important to get out to the mall or grocery store to be part of society, etc. But, my free time is little and very precious. The conveniences of modern life make it easier for me to carve out free time for me, rather than be doing mundane stuff.

As far as the size of basketball courts, I think that has more to do with money, zoning, space than it has to do with lazy basketball players.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » June 3rd, 2021, 11:56 am

Also, about working from home, yes of course people don't want to drive to work! Why would you?? My commute is 2 hours each day (1 hour there, 1 hour back). I'm now working from home. I now have 10 hours back in my week for me. 10 hours! That's fantastic, why would you not want that? Plus, I can throw on a load of laundry every now and again, load the dish washer, etc. Again, saves me time from doing that on the weekend.

Again, all of this adds up to more free time for me and my family, and ultimately makes me much happier.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 3rd, 2021, 12:42 pm

@Voor and bluenote
I think I love you guys for those posts. Not to mention a lot of us have physically demanding jobs with long hours, not to mention various physical and mental health issues that makes it hard for us to always function like we'd like to. I personally work 12 hour shifts at a factory that I used to love but have grown to hate over the years, and I also have ADHD and clinically diagnosed major depression. And while sometimes I just want to do everything and have the energy to do so, I'll be honest, sometimes my days off just consist of me laying in bed all day getting drunk and high and isolating myself from people who genuinely care about me because I hate my life and myself. And in those times, I just have zero motivation to do a lot of things. I'm not trying to make excuses, but having legitimate mental illness makes life a struggle a lot of the time.

I just wanted to say thank you to both of you for being empathetic to others and not having a toxic attitude towards people's struggles.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » June 3rd, 2021, 1:47 pm

i don't drive so Doordash has been great for me

Return to “Video Games General”