Console and Portable Game "Attract" Screens

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Console and Portable Game "Attract" Screens

Postby MSR1701 » June 15th, 2021, 5:39 pm

When I was younger, I would boot up my games (usually a Game Boy game, sometimes an SNES) and just let the game load up the title screen, then watch as the game had a "demo" play of some of the game footage (I never knew the term "Attract" Mode until years and years later, and that it originated from the Arcades). More often than not, I found amusement in these modes, with some of the more memorable samplings below:

Donkey Kong Land 2 (Game Boy) - this was memorable because, as a kid, I could not, for the life of me, beat the blasted second world (darn Slime Climb), and the demo mode was the only way to see the roller coaster levels...

Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy) - several mechanics of the game were demoed, including the "!" Blocks (plus revealing that there was an ice world before I knew of the secret exit...)

Super Metroid (SNES) - demonstrating the scores of undocumented tricks, such as Crystal Flash and Charge Beam Combos...

Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis (GBA) - this was noteworthy because of the sloppy port job of the game and it's physics engine. The demo tries to follow the actions from the original Genesis/Mega Drive game, but due to the game engine/physics, everything that can go wrong does, and is usually different each time...

Any thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Console and Portable Game "Attract" Screens

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2021, 7:33 pm

To tell you the truth, I never thought much about it, but these are some great observations.

Especially while I'm trying in a review for a game, I'll look up and see something in attract mode that really gives me added insight! It'll show advanced stages and sometimes it even shows you how to get through a difficult spot.

Return to “Video Games General”