Games you really wanted to like...

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: Games you really wanted to like...

Postby Breaker » June 29th, 2021, 1:15 pm

I would nominate any Madden game post Madden 99. I'm not even sure that one is good, but it is nostolgic for me.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 29th, 2021, 2:06 pm

mbd36 wrote:The enemies and stage designs are much more bland in DD3 as well. That's my biggest complaint. They didn't even bring back Abobo. The backgrounds change, but you basically keep fighting the same generic baddies over and over.

That's true. But you could also say that about the first two games in the series as well. Or for most beat 'em ups for that matter. To me, that's just standard operating procedure. Just keep beating up the different pallete swaps of the same guys till you either get to the end of the game or you die. The difference between those, however and DD3 is that in that in a good beat 'em up, it's fun beating up the bad guys up. Whereas in this game, it can be a real chore to do so. And that's because the enemy opponents are a lot tougher to take out. I mean, to me, it takes the same amount of hits to defeat the enemies on the first level as it does to defeat them on later levels. That shouldn't be the case, and that is my biggest gripe about this game. it is far too difficult out of the box..

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 29th, 2021, 4:34 pm

lynchie137 wrote:
mbd36 wrote:The enemies and stage designs are much more bland in DD3 as well. That's my biggest complaint. They didn't even bring back Abobo. The backgrounds change, but you basically keep fighting the same generic baddies over and over.

That's true. But you could also say that about the first two games in the series as well.

Not really, especially with regard to the second one. Like in DD2 you're on top of buildings in a city and then in a helicopter and then you go into an underground area with a low ceiling and then you're in an outdoor area and then a steam train and then there's a haunted area with disappearing platforms and then there's treadmills and a mechanical area with spinning gears. There are ladders and higher and lower areas. There are gaps to jump over. It also has a much better variety of enemies. DD3 doesn't really mix it up until the fourth level.

Even DD1 feels a lot more interesting and dynamic than DD3.

DD3 is the weakest of the three, IMO. I still don't think it's as bad as most people say. It's not horrible.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 29th, 2021, 6:49 pm

.[/quote]

DD3 is the weakest of the three, IMO. I still don't think it's as bad as most people say. It's not horrible.[/quote]

Oh, definitely. It's not a terrible game by any stretch. But the sheer difficulty of it right off the bat makes it far more frustrating than fun. And I think that's why a lot of people are critical of it. Myself included. I can only play it a few times before I get really annoyed with it and have to turn it off. otherwise, I'd be going all AVGN all over the place. Which wouldn't be a pretty sight...

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 29th, 2021, 7:01 pm

lynchie137 wrote:.

DD3 is the weakest of the three, IMO. I still don't think it's as bad as most people say. It's not horrible.[/quote]

Oh, definitely. It's not a terrible game by any stretch. But the sheer difficulty of it right off the bat makes it far more frustrating than fun. And I think that's why a lot of people are critical of it. Myself included. I can only play it a few times before I get really annoyed with it and have to turn it off. otherwise, I'd be going all AVGN all over the place. Which wouldn't be a pretty sight...[/quote]

I don't think the difficulty is even that bad until the last level. Hurricane kicks and jump kicks are usually effective against most enemies. It took me a few days to beat and a lot of that was trying to figure out the final boss.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 29th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Just how do you beat the final boss? I've gotten that far a few time, but never figured out how to defeat her. It seems like no matter what I do just dosen't seem to work.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » June 29th, 2021, 7:37 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Just how do you beat the final boss? I've gotten that far a few time, but never figured out how to defeat her. It seems like no matter what I do just dosen't seem to work.

She's really tough. I only beat her once. Billy's nunchucks and hurricane kick, Ranzou's sword, and Chin's iron claw are effective against her. You can also hit her with jump kicks.

When she disappears, you want to keep moving in order to avoid her when she re-appears. You can also used a well timed jump to get out of the way. Ranzou has that big flippy jump that is great for dodging her, and his sword is great against her. When I beat her I finished her off with Ranzou's sword.

Her pattern is quite hard though. She's a very difficult final boss.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 29th, 2021, 7:39 pm

mbd36 wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:Just how do you beat the final boss? I've gotten that far a few time, but never figured out how to defeat her. It seems like no matter what I do just dosen't seem to work.

She's really tough. I only beat her once. Billy's nunchucks and hurricane kick, Ranzou's sword, and Chin's iron claw are effective against her. You can also hit her with jump kicks.

When she disappears, you want to keep moving in order to avoid her when she re-appears. You can also used a well timed jump to get out of the way. Ranzou has that big flippy jump that is great for dodging her, and his sword is great against her. When I beat her I finished her off with Ranzou's sword.

Her pattern is quite hard though. She's a very difficult final boss.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tips..

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 19th, 2021, 9:17 pm

World Series Baseball 2K1. I couldn't wait to play baseball on the Dreamcast but that game was no fun.

I had a similar feeling when Triple Play came out on PS2.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 21st, 2021, 12:06 pm

Herschie wrote:

I had a similar feeling when Triple Play came out on PS2.

Heh. I had a similar feeling about Triple Play '96 when it came out for the Genesis. I seen the screen shots in all the video game magazines at the time, and I thought, "Wow. This looks great. I have to check this one out". Unfortunately, I could never find a copy on the store shelves anywhere, so I had to wait until I've discovered the joys of emulation many years later. Fast forward to that time. I downloaded the Fusion emulator on my PC and I'm looking for some Sega games to play on it. I find the ROM for this one on a retro gaming website, remembering how awesome the screenshots were for it, so I download it and then run it. Unfortunately, it just plays like a particularly dull dog to this gamer, and I could never get into it. A shame, since it looks so good. But as we all know, great graphics don't necessarily make for a great game.

Return to “Video Games General”