Most Creative Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Most Creative Games?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 17th, 2021, 11:57 pm

I'm pretty sure we've all said that the video game industry is stagnating at one point or another. Nobody wants to take risks when they already have a formula they know will make them money. That makes the games that are actually unique all the more enjoyable. What are some of the most creative games, in your opinion? They don't necessarily have to be games you enjoy, just ones that do something to break the mold a little.

Here are some of mine...

Undertale: even if you ignore the genuinely heartfelt story, Undertale's combat, which has you guiding a tiny pixelated heart around to avoid projectiles, was a welcome breath of fresh air in the (imo) stale genre of turn based rpgs.

Katamari Damaci: I'm not a big fan of these games, but I'll admit it's a pretty creative premise. Being able to base an entire game around such a small idea takes skill and, yes, creativity.

Death Stranding: I know a lot of people love this game, but I didn't — at all. Still, Hideo Kojima is a developer who isn't satisfied playing by somebody else's rules and is constantly trying to come up with new ideas and push the boundaries of what video games can be about. Sure he churns out a stinker now and then, but that's the thing about experiments: sometimes they fail. And that's okay, because learning what doesn't work is just as important as learning what does.

Minecraft: on the other side of the spectrum from Death Stranding, which was creative in its complexity, what makes Minecraft shine is its simplicity — at least on the surface. The game is easy to pick up and understand, but its players are still astounding people with what they've been able to put together (like a WORKING COMPUTER) and that really goes to show how the simplest things can often hide the most depth.

Five Nights at Freddy's: again, not a fan of this franchise. But you still have to admit, it took a simple concept with bare minimum resources and created a game that is able to raise tension and stress better than any other game I've ever played. Yeah, the sequels failed to add much to the formula, but in the first game at least it was a new and unique idea. Again proving that the simplest ideas are more than enough to make a memorable experience.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Most Creative Games?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 18th, 2021, 2:21 am

What remains of Edith Finch.

It's a game where none of the characters you play will survive. And it's not a secret that they'll die.

But you will never forget their last moments afterwards.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on June 18th, 2021, 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » June 18th, 2021, 9:45 am

Grim Fandango has undoubtedly the most creative plot in gaming history. Feels like a Tim Burton movie. I wish they'd make it a movie so more could experience it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 18th, 2021, 9:58 am

Here are a few off the top of my head.

ActRaiser - What other game combined such kick ass action with a 2D top down god sim mode?

Samba de Amigo - You looked like a fool shaking the maracas but it was great party fun.

Seaman - you talked into a microphone to a fish like creature voiced by Spock

Wii Sports - waggle those arms

Mario Galaxy - the whole thing about jumping around a sphere may have been done elsewhere but it certainly was unique and a lot of fun.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 18th, 2021, 10:17 am

Interesting topic! I think there are several ways of looking at creativity in games

1. mechanics - is the gameplay innovative?
2. story - is the premise interesting or inventive?
3. style - does this game have a unique look and feel

I think the first Bioshock (Xbox 360) might qualify for some of these.

Also, creativity is often not enough to make a good game. I've reviewed some game that were very creative but not particularly fun.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » June 18th, 2021, 6:47 pm

Wonderful 101
Bloodborne
Puzzle Quest

DocHix

Postby DocHix » June 19th, 2021, 9:50 am

Good topic and interesting responses! I think some of the most creative video games came from early on when developers had to wrestle with the often extreme performance limitations of the home consoles. It's always cool though (whatever the hardware generation) to play something and think to yourself "Okay...that's really different." Even better when the game is fun, too.

"Haunted House" Atari 2600
"Yars' Revenge" Atari 2600
"Herzog Zwei" Sega Genesis
"Jumping Flash" PS1
"Nights Into Dreams" Saturn
"Shadow of the Colossus" PS 2

Voor

Postby Voor » June 19th, 2021, 10:13 am

I think smash bros is pretty creative. Sure, the fighting genre was well established, but to create a fighter so different than the others starring Nintendo characters?! That was wild at the time.

I thought the first few Oddworld games were pretty creative in their design and gameplay

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » June 20th, 2021, 9:05 am

Lost Vikings combined Lemmings-like puzzles with a little action.

Really thought the Ecco games were really unique when they came out too.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 20th, 2021, 10:39 am

2600: Adventure
INTV: Utopia
CV: Miner 2049er
SNES: Earthworm Jim
N64: Mario 64

Dat is all da people need ta know.

Return to “Video Games General”