Games you regret selling?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Games you regret selling?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 27th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Have you ever sold (or God forbid, thrown away) a game that you realized later that you should have kept? Or maybe a game you saw on a shelf but didn't buy, and are now kicking yourself for not grabbing it when you had the chance?

I had a copy of the Silent Hill Collection on PS3 once a couple years ago. Say what you want about it, I'd never played either game before and I enjoyed it just fine. Then I sold it, along with a ton of other games, when I was in some financial trouble, and I haven't been able to find another copy since.

Jascott72

Re: Games you regret selling?

Postby Jascott72 » June 28th, 2021, 8:19 am

Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Sega Saturn. I had it complete too. I traded it in for one of those dual NES and SNES systems.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » June 29th, 2021, 3:01 am

I used to have Castlevania symphony of the night and Legend of the Dragoon for PS1, but I traded both in my younger pre-understanding days.

I have since repurchased Legend of the Dragoon, but it's not in as good condition as the copy I traded.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 6th, 2021, 12:54 am

Cubivore! Just because of the rarity of it. I bought it in 2011 for $25. It didn't wow me in any way, so I sold it a few months later for $40. Now it's worth around $600. Oh well.

Another one I regretted was Steel Battalion on Xbox -- until I got it back! That incident is kinda funny.. Back in the Xbox days, I really wanted that game because of the unique controller setup. By the time I was looking, it was impossible to find, but I finally got lucky and found it used at a GameStop for $160 and bought it. A couple years later I was a flat broke college kid and didn't know what to do, when out of the blue a friend asks if I want to sell Steel Battalion. I didn't want to part with it, but needed to. Sold it to him for the same $160 and it really helped me out. ........ Flash forward like 12 years later to around 2017. Now I got my gameroom, I'm collecting for Xbox again, I'm interested in Steel Battalion but it's impossible to find and expensive when you do. So I message my friend.. Couldn't believe it- he still has the game and controller in storage, he doesn't game anymore, and he wants it gone. He refused to take ebay value for it.. just took his $160 back and we called it even. The controller and pedals still worked like a champ. That game has been through a lot!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 6th, 2021, 1:15 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Have you ever sold (or God forbid, thrown away) a game that you realized later that you should have kept?

Um, does intentionally destroying a game in a fit of rage count?? Because I absolutely snapped my original Silent Hill game disc in half back in my teenage years, then proceeded to smash the case with a hammer. I bought it used from EB games, complete, for about $12, so it was no great loss at the time. "Black label" copy, and everything... but oooooooooh, boy, did that game ever deserve it :twisted:

Jascott72 wrote:Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Sega Saturn

Here, here!! Though I never had a complete copy. Mine came used from FuncoLand, with all four game discs crammed into a single, standard paper sleeve with the FuncoLand logo on it. If you bought used games from them back in the day, you know the sleeves I'm talking about. The sleeve was orange, which at least matched the color of the discs. I believe I paid $80, circa 1999, right after the Dreamcast launched.

Sold it back when my ex and I were going our separate ways, and I think I cleared a little over $200 on eBay. This was in late 2012. I thought I did pretty well for myself, but when I see the prices nowadays... yeah, let's just say I'm never getting a legit copy back!

Honorable mention goes to Phantasy Star Online I & II Plus for the Gamecube. Remember, kids - this was a budget title, and retailed for $30, brand new! Nowadays... not so much. I sold it during the same purge as PD Saga, and I think I netted about $50.

Retro STrife wrote:Cubivore... Now it's worth around $600.

Now, now, you, me, and everyone else who's played it knows that game's only "worth" about $5. But as for what it's currently selling for, yeah man, it's insane. So-called Gamecube "collectors" are really something else!

On a related note, I'm amazed at how much Def Jam: Fight For New York has gone up in price. Had it for the Gamecube, bought it used, fully complete, and definitely didn't pay more than $10 for it. I sold it to a buddy of mine for about the same amount - he bought a few of my NES and Gamecube games as I was moving cross-country, and I gave him a "friend price" on the whole lot. I was halfway thinking about picking it up again a Summer or two ago, took one look at the eBay prices, and, um... changed my mind real fast :shock:

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 6th, 2021, 3:24 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Have you ever sold (or God forbid, thrown away) a game that you realized later that you should have kept? Or maybe a game you saw on a shelf but didn't buy, and are now kicking yourself for not grabbing it when you had the chance?

I had a copy of the Silent Hill Collection on PS3 once a couple years ago. Say what you want about it, I'd never played either game before and I enjoyed it just fine. Then I sold it, along with a ton of other games, when I was in some financial trouble, and I haven't been able to find another copy since.

yup in 1984 i bought Congo Bongo for the Intellivision at Toys R Us and played it like crazy then when i traded my Intellivision for a Vic 20 Congo Bongo went with it...and now Congo Bongo is worth a lot of money

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 7th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Mega Man V on Game Boy... I sold a copy back in the early 2000s to help pay for a GameStop Pre-Order of GBA Mega Man Mania...

brendand

Postby brendand » July 7th, 2021, 6:18 pm

Suikoden PAL PS1 and Animal Crossing Gamecube PAL traded them and a few much more common games towards a Saturn and some games back in around 2008 they weren't worth anywhere near what they are worth now so a bit of a retrospective mistake !

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 7th, 2021, 11:12 pm

Jascott72 wrote:Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Sega Saturn. I had it complete too. I traded it in for one of those dual NES and SNES systems.

Apparently being remade https://www.panzerdragoonlegacy.com/news/panzer-dragoon-remake-is-coming-to-playstation-5-and-xbox-series-x

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 7th, 2021, 11:16 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Have you ever sold (or God forbid, thrown away) a game that you realized later that you should have kept? Or maybe a game you saw on a shelf but didn't buy, and are now kicking yourself for not grabbing it when you had the chance?

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-HD-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXAIG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Silent+Hill+HD+-+Collection+%28PS3%29&qid=1625719000&sr=8-1

That is a good price for it in the US.

Return to “Video Games General”