TV-style commercials in games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

TV-style commercials in games

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 2nd, 2021, 4:16 pm

I think we could all see this coming; it was just a matter of time.
https://games.slashdot.org/story/21/07/ ... s#comments

It was bad enough when companies were holding back content so they could nickel-and-dime you with microtransactions. Now they want to take your TIME, which is arguably more valuable (depending on how old you are I guess!)

Thoughts?

LoganRuckman

Re: TV-style commercials in games

Postby LoganRuckman » July 2nd, 2021, 5:39 pm

So, I can't lie, I totally freaking love Trivia Crack. That game is my jam. But the ads make it a hassle to get into. You'll get 30 second unskippable ads at times, then sometimes they go even further and load up a second ad right after the first that you have to wait another 5 seconds to skip. I'll get incredibly absorbed in this game for a few weeks, then stop playing for months because of this.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 28th, 2021, 6:53 am

Ah, the reason I don't play "Freemium" Games; at least Pay-Walls like the ones used in Fire Emblem Heroes don't barrage you with ads for crap you don't want or like...usually... >_>;;

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » July 30th, 2021, 8:17 am

I don't play ANY games that require ads (that break from the game entirely, not billboard ads within the game), or micro transactions (mobile). I will pay for a game that doesn't have those, before getting a "free" game. If this is the future of PC/console gaming, then I will opt out. I have better things to do with my time.

Return to “Video Games General”