Games you can never beat?

General and high profile video game topics.
Alucard1191

Re: Games you can never beat?

Postby Alucard1191 » July 12th, 2021, 7:38 pm

So I'll kind of echo zelda here. There are some I've powered through, but then will get stuck at.

I really enjoyed BOTW, and beat that one.

Ocarina of Time I've made it to the water temple and got stuck.

When I was young I loved the Gameboy one (Link's awakening?) and I have A Link to the Past, and I've beaten it, but I don't consider it an all time fave. I'd load up Chrono Trigger over it any day of the week.

So yeah, it isn't the difficulty, it's just the style of them for some reason. I mean, they're good games, but they don't often grab me like they do the masses.

Oh, and here's one with just pure raw difficulty. Battletoads. I love the style and the characters, but damnit the vehicle levels are insanely hard and I doubt I'll ever beat any entry into that series.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 12th, 2021, 11:29 pm

ActRaiser wrote:It was highly worth it. You could give that a shot.

I think I just might, 'Raiser. Truth be told, I set myself up for a bit of disappointment before I even played the game, as a buddy of mine had some sort of strategy guide with a world map included with it. Just looking at that vast ocean with all the islands scattered about made me positively giddy inside. Just look at all the places you can go! So much exploring! I'll be lost for weeks!

Then, of course, once you actually get the GD boat and set sail, you're immediately told to turn around any time you try to swerve off the route the game has laid out for you. Yes, I did get past the first few islands / dungeons, but even once I was able to sail around more, I was constantly met with islands surrounded by force fields, or some other barrier preventing me from exploring them. Come on, already!!

I have a hard time thinking of any modern first-party Nintendo game that is so determined to have you not play it, or at least not play it the way you want. But, with the right guide, I may just be able to see it through, someday. I'll keep you posted if I ever pick it back up.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 12th, 2021, 11:42 pm

If you have a Wii U, I recommend playing the remake of Windwaker for it. Not a lot was changed (at least I don't think so, since I never played the original) but one thing in particular makes it worthwhile: the special sail you can win at the auction that automatically changes the wind to match your course, rather than having to stop and fiddle with the windwaker every time you want to make a turn.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 13th, 2021, 6:12 am

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I like this game and tried several times to "beat" it. However, as soon as I get to the "other" (for lack of a better term) world I have no idea where to go or what to do. Frustrated, I just give up!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 13th, 2021, 6:59 am

A lot of Zelda Games.....I've beaten 3 of them the original NES game, A Link to the Past (one of my all-time favorites), and Ocarina of Time. The one I couldn't beat would be Adventure of Link, I think the format took some time to adjust to.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 13th, 2021, 10:28 am

Whew. I feel better now.

I’d argue that all the zelda games are great and should be played, but after 25-30% of the way through, I stop enjoying them. I think it’s the dungeon puzzles. I like puzzle games in general, but any game where you have to pull a lever on the 3rd floor to activate a switch on the 1st floor is too much for my brain.

I do like 2D platformers with puzzle elements and metroidvanias though.

I’m sure I’ll give Skyward Sword HD a try and fail when it comes out. Lol

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 13th, 2021, 11:13 am

Non-linear 3D platformers such as Mario 64, Banjo, Spyro, Ocarina of Time and Jak & Daxter. I always lose interest long before completing them.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 13th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Speakng of 3D platformers, Donkey Kong 64, even with emulation, the whole collect-a-thon thing is just annoying as all get-out. Don't get me wrong, the game is highly playable, and the worlds are vast, but some mini-games couldn't be done right on emulation, like the one where you have to feed melons to crocs.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 13th, 2021, 2:20 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:If you have a Wii U, I recommend playing the remake of Windwaker for it.

I did hear about this a while back, along with its "quality of life" improvements. The Wii U just passed me on by. I was barely even aware that it was on the market! If the Wii U version of Wind Waker ever makes its way on the Switch, I will probably check it out. It's nice to know that it's out there, all the same.

Zack Burner wrote:Donkey Kong 64

I was so burnt-out on platformers when this game released that I never even bothered to play it at the time. Same goes for Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie, and a bunch of other similar titles on the N64. I did play the latter two games on Rare Replay a few years back, and while I liked them and could definitely appreciate them for what they were, I just don't have the stomach for platformers or collect-a-thons, anymore. I think I played them both for about a half-hour, tops, and called it good.

I do remember Banjo being the more-enjoyable game of the two. I can see why it has the fanbase that it does.

I haven't even played Mario Galaxy or Odyssey, either, despite the rave reviews that they have garnered. Just the idea of pushing Mario around and collecting stars again doesn't sound appealing to me in the least. I like Mario 64 for the nostalgia trip, but as far as playing another game like it? No, thanks.

If I want Mario, I know I have Mario 2 waiting for me whenever I want to fire it up :D

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 14th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Rayman Legends... I really want to like this game but I hate the way it's structured. I pick Origins over this, simply because of the more lineair way levels are unlocked... Maybe I'm just old-fashioned...

Order classics that I never got into / never beat include Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed (but I also didn't like those games), Broken Sword and Grim Fandago.

However, I have beat BioShock 1 four times... I love that game :D

Return to “Video Games General”