Games you can never beat?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Games you can never beat?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 11th, 2021, 8:52 pm

I'm not talking about difficulty here. Sometimes you like a game just fine, but you always quit somewhere in the middle of it. What are some of those games, and why can't you make it all the way through?

For me, its Bioshock. I've started that game probably a dozen times but can never beat it. Admittedly I've never been blown away by it like other people have, but I still think it's a perfectly good game. It's just that whenever I get a certain ways in (how far varies each time) I'll just start playing something else, tell myself I'll come back to it in a day or two, and then not touch it again for a year or more.

Zack Burner

Re: Games you can never beat?

Postby Zack Burner » July 11th, 2021, 9:20 pm

I know of one, fun but nearly impossible to beat, even with emulation: Spider-man/X-men Arcade's Revenge on SNES. I've only beaten 3 levels, the first of Spider-man, Storm, and Wolverine. The gameplay is a little stiff, and the lack of passwords and checkpoints, it just gets frustrating. Fun, but is it worth it today? Sometimes, I don't know how to answer that question.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 12th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Every single zelda game.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 12th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Star Tropics for NES. I think I may have gotten to the fourth level a few times. But that's about as far as I can get...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 12th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Ghouls and Ghosts for the Sega Genesis. Which is crazy because it's one of my all-time favorites.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 12th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Voor wrote:Every single zelda game.

I feel the same way, especially regarding the 3D entries in the series. To date, I have beaten A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. That's it. Never got too far in the NES games (I was more of a Mega Man / Contra / Tecmo Bowl kid) and never finished any of the 3D ones, either.

If I had to pick one for this discussion, it would be Wind Waker. I love the visual style! I love the nautical theme! I hate the dungeons. I hate being told that I can't sail to particular areas just because "you aren't supposed to go there yet." For seeming so open-ended, the game seems to be constantly forcing you along the straight and narrow. I have tried to play through it no less than four times, and though I get a little further with each attempt, I don't think I've even completed 1/3 of the game so far.

I still own it, so I may go back to it at some point... but I am in no rush.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 12th, 2021, 6:26 pm

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 12th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Matchstick wrote:

I feel the same way, especially regarding the 3D entries in the series. To date, I have beaten A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. That's it. Never got too far in the NES games (I was more of a Mega Man / Contra / Tecmo Bowl kid) and never finished any of the 3D ones, either.

If I had to pick one for this discussion, it would be Wind Waker. I love the visual style! I love the nautical theme! I hate the dungeons. I hate being told that I can't sail to particular areas just because "you aren't supposed to go there yet." For seeming so open-ended, the game seems to be constantly forcing you along the straight and narrow. I have tried to play through it no less than four times, and though I get a little further with each attempt, I don't think I've even completed 1/3 of the game so far.

I still own it, so I may go back to it at some point... but I am in no rush.

Haha, I set it aside for a couple of years when it first came out on the gamecube as well. The only thing that made it much easier going was the official primrose guide for it. I think I ordered it on eBay. It was highly worth it. You could give that a shot.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 12th, 2021, 7:15 pm

Black. PS2
That last level is beyond brutal. You run out of everything including all health packs and ammo. Rocket launchers and apparently five different places and they just keep firing. It doesn't matter how much you have saved up, they just kill you every time.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 12th, 2021, 7:20 pm

I always finish Zelda games first playthrough. But then after that usually I quit around the Water Temple.

Just finished 162 games of MLB The Show 21, unfortunately at 77-85, 8 games behind St. Louis, and in 4th place. Worst season I've ever had.

Ironically I tend to not finish 16 game seasons of Madden.

Somewhere on my Dreamcast VMU lies a half-finished file of Resident Evil. I really liked it but I got on a roll with women (Bout all that was on my mind when I was 18) and never got back to playing. I had to take what I could get because my hot streaks with women were fewer and farther between than I would have liked.

Which is why I finished Ocarina of Time so fast, I was in a slump.

I posted the other day about how I wish we had more time for gaming. It sure seemed like we had a lot more back then, but I actually didn't with what social life I did have, school, and a part time job.

Return to “Video Games General”