People hating on the VGC

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

People hating on the VGC

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 23rd, 2021, 3:39 pm

I stumbled upon this thread recently "Anyone like or hate The Video Game Critic?"

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... g/77561564

It's kind of interesting and I can relate to some of the criticism. My reviews are by no means comprehensive and some of them are of dubious quality. Still, I try to keep things light and entertaining. Also, try to keep the updates frequent.

When someone learns about the site the first thing they do is look for a game they loved as a kid. Problem is, there's about a 50% chance it's going to have a below average grade! I guess it's like going to a restaurant. If you order one meal and don't like it, you're probably not going back.

As one person pointed out in the thread, people get upset when their favorite games don't receive glowing praise. Perhaps THAT's the real reason why real video game reviews sites stick with those As and Bs.

The bottom line is, this site is just for fun. Even if you disagree with a review, it's fun to generate interest and awareness of fun games. I don't make any money off this site. I run it off my own dime. So of course it's all just for fun! Some people takes things far too seriously but the people on this forum tend to "get it" I think.

DrLitch

Re: People hating on the VGC

Postby DrLitch » July 23rd, 2021, 5:14 pm

Objectively VGC is a hard person to hate. You have maintained this site for years, you charge nothing, and mingle with folks here in a friendly manner when time permits. I never understand why some people get all tied up in knots over someone else's reviews. If one finds themselves triggered by a blog or Youtube channel, assuming one can control their keyboard strokes, it should not be too difficult to avoid typing in the offending URL.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 23rd, 2021, 6:26 pm

Actually this gamefaq thread may have clarified a few lingering questions.

Until about five years ago my site was pretty well represented on Wikipedia. It had its own page, and the site was referenced by a lot of super-old games no one else had reviewed. I thought it was cool (a friend had to bring it to my attention) but I certainly didn't request it.

Well one day one of the Wikipedia editors contacted me and asked me if I had any "enemies", which I thought was odd. I said "not that I know of" but he indicated someone was systematically removing all references to videogamecritic.com on wikipedia.

Sure enough soon after I was completely gone from Wikipedia some time around 2015. I didn't really care at the time because this site isn't my real job and I like to keep a low profile anyway. Heck I just figured they marked it "irrelevant" since I don't review many new games.

This gamefaq thread indicated the site was marked "controversial" so perhaps that was the basis of removing it from Wikipedia? It's chilling how a single person can make a site disappear from Wikipedia, just because they don't agree with it? I would not be surprised if my site is on a blacklist to this day!

I'm starting to think I was cancelled before being cancelled was even a thing! Thoughts?

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » July 23rd, 2021, 6:27 pm

Shocked it wasn't a thread by darkrage/vexer.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 23rd, 2021, 7:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm starting to think I was cancelled before being cancelled was even a thing! Thoughts?

No shortage of nutcases out there, one minor disagreement and....

Conversely,

https://awesomegames.miraheze.org/wiki/ ... ame_Critic

Someone liked you well enough to dedicate this entry.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 23rd, 2021, 7:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:...the people on this forum tend to "get it" I think.

This is such a relaxed environment compared to most other online gaming forums. Like, seriously.

I appreciate that you can take something positive away from the GameFAQs thread, but most of the times I browse the forums on that site, things seem to get out of hand between users reaaaaaal quick. Sometimes it can be fun to watch a topic break down and go South, but on that site especially, topics seem to go that way early and often.

I doubt anyone out there really "hates" you, or the job you're doing. If they do, well, that's on them! People are allowed to disagree and have opposite opinions, but when it's your site, you make the rules, and you issue the grades. Simple as that.

I'm always surprised at the reactions from people when they see that a game they like didn't get the score they want. Who cares?? If *you* genuinely like a game, what's it matter what anyone else says or thinks?

It can be fun to read the opinions of someone who had a different reaction than yourself. And, really, if you're taking a gaming site as anything more than entertainment, well... :roll:

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 23rd, 2021, 7:30 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I stumbled upon this thread recently "Anyone like or hate The Video Game Critic?"

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... g/77561564

It's kind of interesting and I can relate to some of the criticism. My reviews are by no means comprehensive and some of them are of dubious quality. Still, I try to keep things light and entertaining. Also, try to keep the updates frequent.

When someone learns about the site the first thing they do is look for a game they loved as a kid. Problem is, there's about a 50% chance it's going to have a below average grade! I guess it's like going to a restaurant. If you order one meal and don't like it, you're probably not going back.

As one person pointed out in the thread, people get upset when their favorite games don't receive glowing praise. Perhaps THAT's the real reason why real video game reviews sites stick with those As and Bs.

The bottom line is, this site is just for fun. Even if you disagree with a review, it's fun to generate interest and awareness of fun games. I don't make any money off this site. I run it off my own dime. So of course it's all just for fun! Some people takes things far too seriously but the people on this forum tend to "get it" I think.

there are haters for EVERYTHING and EVERYONE on the net..YOU by far have the best site out there and have the best reviews bar none

jon

Postby jon » July 23rd, 2021, 8:05 pm

I agree with a lot of sentiments that some people are just crazy. I'm not really that young by any means and like to think I have a pulse on what people are like. But when I go once in a while for some old Motown on youtube and put on some of my favorites like Stand by Me or This Magic Moment, there's like hundreds and even thousands of dislikes. Who are these people disliking This Magic Moment. You'd think it was a Marilyn Manson video or something.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 23rd, 2021, 8:14 pm

With all due respect, I didn’t think you were big enough to be hated. This isn’t IGN or Gamespot, lol.

Though there was one member who flipped out last year, and swore vengeance upon this site, so you never know. Lol

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 23rd, 2021, 8:55 pm

Voor wrote:Though there was one member who flipped out last year, and swore vengeance upon this site, so you never know. Lol

I actually was contacted by this member a while ago, he was remorseful and misses the people on this site. He had some issues corroborating his thoughts, not helped by hanging out in some of the most toxic videogame forums out there and considering some of the most odious video game reviewers as somehow canon. We were all respectful to him and I think he misses that companionship he found here. Heck this is the only videogame forum out there where if we bicker and argue, it is never nasty or personal.

Return to “Video Games General”