Video Game Characters Hall of SHAME

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Video Game Characters Hall of SHAME

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 9th, 2021, 11:09 pm

Got some pretty good responses with the Hall of Fame thread. Now, let's look at the other side of the coin.

Who are your top 10 candidates for the Hall of SHAME??

This should be good...

Matchstick

Re: Video Game Characters Hall of SHAME

Postby Matchstick » August 10th, 2021, 1:16 am

I feel like I've been living on these boards lately (what can I say, setting up the new game room has put me in the VCG mood) so I'll keep this short.

I'm not sure I can think of ten, but off the top of my head, James Pond, The Gianna Sisters, and the jester from Nights spring to mind. Bonus points for all those throwaway mascot games from the 16 Bit era, like Bubsy, Frantic Flea, and Super Putty. And I can't say I ever cared much for the Clockwork Knight guy, either.

And, oh yeah, Glover. And Buck Bumble. And whatever N64 platformer mascots you want to throw in there.

Oooooh, and that baby gorilla you were forced to play as in the third Donkey Kong Country. Hey, that's ten!!

I feel like this thread is going to be full of all those games I never ended up renting when I was younger, the ones where I saw the cover art at the video store and just thought to myself, "Nah - that looks whack."

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » August 10th, 2021, 2:52 am

Gonna base this on the quality of the character, how well written they are, and/or how morally lacking they are. Bonus if they somehow manage to fit all three...

Obvious pick would be Bubsy the Bobcat, throwing in Kane and Lynch together, Ellie from The Last of Us PART TWO because everyone sucked but she was particularly awful in the sequel, Custer from Custer's Revenge, maybe Ben from Telltale's Walking Dead, Princess Elise from Sonic 06, that putty guy from Clayfighter (the Blob I think?,) maybe Booger Man, and Ed from Tonic Trouble (the Rabbids are safe for now....) As for final pick? Uhhhhhh,.... every doppleganger character ever. That typically uninspired character that exists solely to act as the protagonist's double.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 10th, 2021, 3:33 am

Here's my list of inductees for the Video Game Characters Hall of Shame. No particular order from bad to worse, because let's face it, they're all equally terrible in their own way. And without further doo doo, here we go. But be forewarned, folks. you may have to wear a clothespin on your nose while perusing this list. It's gonna get a little ripe...

1) Awesome Possum: Probably the only time that it's acceptable to put a video game on mute. Or better yet, in a recycling bin. Or even better still, through a woodchipper. Easily one of the most annoying characters of all time imho...

2) Kid Kool: Nothing cool about him or the game he stars in.

3) The dude from Dark Castle: I'm sure he has a name. But I can't remember it right now. And going by the sheer amount of times this poor fella has fallen down, tripped up in his own feet or got hit by a bat in his game, I wouldn't be surprised if he can't remember it either...

4) Glass Joe: One win and ninety nine losses. If that's not Hall of Shame worthy, I don't know what is.

5) The Cheetahmen: You could also add every single character from the Action 52 cart to this list as well since they're all terrible beyond belief. But these three are a special kind of terrible. It is nearly impossible to believe that somebody was actually thinking of making a toy line based on these three jokers plus some of the other characters that were also in the game and in the comic book that came with the game. Simply unbelievable on so many levels.

6) The Medusa heads from the Castlevania series. I can't even begin to count the amount of times these little nuisances have cost me a life over the years. And I don't even want to attempt to count the sheer amount of times I've cursed them out after they've cost me a life. Those wavy patterns they travel in have haunted me for many a year now, and as soon as I think I've got their pattern figured out. BOOM!!! They knock me off yet another platform and into another bottomless pit. And thus begins the oaths and epithets directed towards them by yours truly. Most of which are of the four letter variety. And all of them cannot be repeated here. But I say you all kind of know what I'm getting at hehe..

So there you have if, my list of inductees for the Video Game Hall of Shame. I am sure there's plenty worse characters out there that should be added to this list. Or shot out of a cannon and into the sun. Either way. But these stinky six are the ones that immediately come to mind to this poster here. Maybe I'll think of a few more in the days ahead. But since it's getting late and I've taken enough of your time as it is, I feel it's best to wrap 'er up for now and come back a little later when my body and mind are a little more rested. Have a good one, all, and I hope you liked reading this little list of mine as much as I enjoyed witing it all down. Cheers...

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 10th, 2021, 9:16 am

I agree with Custer & Glass Joe. Great choices!

I think E.T. should definitely be there.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 10th, 2021, 11:19 am

lynchie137 wrote:Glass Joe: One win and ninety nine losses. If that's not Hall of Shame worthy, I don't know what is.

DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNAHHHH!!

Great choice, indeed. If Joe's not the undisputed heavyweight champ of shame, I don't know who is.

Bonus shout out to Dash Dingo for forcing Lisa to cheat on that reading test...

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 10th, 2021, 11:50 am

Bubsy, obviously.....E.T., Glass Joe, how about Shaq from Shaq Fu? All the characters in WarGods, Puggsey, Radical Rex, perhaps Bart Simpson in his own games, all three Pit Fighters, don't know what/who else.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 10th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Can we identify the turbo tunnel from NES Battletoads as a character? Cuz he sucks….

I also nominate Lester from Lester the Unlikely. Another character that looks dumb just moving around.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 10th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Whoever the heck is the pilot in the Sega Genesis game Sub Terrania:

Also, Heavy Nova.

Last edited by MSR1701 on August 10th, 2021, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 10th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Voor wrote:Can we identify the turbo tunnel from NES Battletoads as a character? Cuz he sucks….

I also nominate Lester from Lester the Unlikely. Another character that looks dumb just moving around.

I vote we create a "Video Game Level Hall of SHAME" for that one. ;-)

Return to “Video Games General”