Possible Video Ad Campaign

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Possible Video Ad Campaign

Postby MSR1701 » September 8th, 2021, 9:12 pm

Cafeman wrote:If you need the ad revenue, I wouldn't axe it based on one or two voices. The popup ad is annoying but many sites have worse pop ups. Personally I'll get used to it.

True, not bad and I may (grudgingly) get used to it. I would be sad, as this has been one of the few sites I frequent with minimal/zero ads anymore. Though the ads are FAR better than the dreck on fan wikia pages...

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » September 8th, 2021, 10:10 pm

Breaker wrote:It's pretty intrusive on the mobile platform. Every new screen has an ad pop up that takes about 25% of the screen real estate. Yes, you can close it by simply clicking on the 'x'. The site's design (which I like) leads to lots of new screens... for example: main page, board index, video games general, possible video ad campaign, post reply, sign in, actually type my response, preview, submit. That's 9 pop up ads - too much in my mind.

I tried to attach a screenshot, but it kept telling me the file size was too large. I'll keep trying and if I succeed, I'll share.

This. The frequency on the mobile end is pretty bad with EVERY new screen popping up the ad.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 8th, 2021, 10:31 pm

Well I want to say first that you’ve been doing this for 20+ years - for no financial gain - so I can’t begrudge any efforts at finding a way to make the site break-even or better. You’ve also always prioritized site quality over ad revenue, so I think it’s fair that we give a fair shake to trial runs of any ad campaign you want to try.

With that said, I pretty much would echo everyone else here. I used the desktop site earlier today- no problems. I had one video pop-up when I opened the site.. no biggie, I closed it. It’s pretty small anyway, so I could have even left it open while browsing. Would it scare off a new user? Maybe. But I think long-term followers will get used to that one pop-up pretty easily.

The mobile site is a different story- it’s much less bearable. The pop-ups show up every time you change screens, and they take up 25% of the screen, meaning you have to close the same video 10+ times as you browse around. If I recall correctly, Critic, you don’t have a smartphone and maybe haven’t seen the mobile site with the ads yet. But, knowing your standards for the site, I think you’d be trying to change it asap if you saw it in action. And these days, I imagine mobile is a main way people use the site.

Me? I’ve been here so long that I’d suffer through the 10 pop-ups to use the mobile site. A new user? No chance they’d stick it out. I wonder if the mobile site could be changed to just one pop-up like the desktop site.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 8th, 2021, 11:07 pm

On my iPad I think I exited out of 6 vids to post this. That’s a lot, LOL.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 8th, 2021, 11:13 pm

Got an ad after I hit ‘submit’ with my above post, and after I went back to the main page, and after after after after after after. Yeah this is not optimal.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 8th, 2021, 11:33 pm

I'll pay you whatever they're paying to axe the things! You're just ensuring I never EVER use this site on mobile again.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » September 9th, 2021, 12:24 am

I'm using mobile on my tablet. The popup appears every new page, but I don't close it. I get to where I want to read, then close that screens popup. The popup window is like 1/10 the size of my screen.

djc

Postby djc » September 9th, 2021, 12:36 am

I'm sure I am in the minority here but my preferred device for viewing your site has a 1280 x 800 viewing resolution. The popup videos are OBNOXIOUSLY big and cover up a significant amount of screen realestate.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I perhaps try to embed the videos directly in the sidebar column where you post your updates.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 9th, 2021, 12:56 am

Yeah, it’s super annoying, but I understand if you want to make a little cash. We’ll survive.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 9th, 2021, 5:49 am

djc wrote:I'm sure I am in the minority here but my preferred device for viewing your site has a 1280 x 800 viewing resolution. The popup videos are OBNOXIOUSLY big and cover up a significant amount of screen realestate.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I perhaps try to embed the videos directly in the sidebar column where you post your updates.

Oh PLEASE don't embed the videos. One of the best thing about the site is the fact it can load even if you have crap internet (which I do...) without waiting for minutes per page.

Return to “Video Games General”