Possible Video Ad Campaign

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Possible Video Ad Campaign

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 28th, 2021, 5:44 pm

Well here I go again! Gonna try tossing my hat into the video ads arena. Was contacted by respectable company offering fair compensation. So I'm probably going to try it for a month.

I think the only thing you'll notice is a small video window on the lower right playing an ad. You can close it if you want to.
Here is a sample:
https://www.cleanmedia.net/publishers/demos/VideoFloat/

I would never clutter the site with ads (like last time) but I'm hoping this won't be too disruptive. It's really kind of a test run so we'll see how it goes. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up so you're not like "what the [expletive] is THIS?!" I will be looking forward to your feedback.

MSR1701

Re: Possible Video Ad Campaign

Postby MSR1701 » September 2nd, 2021, 8:38 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well here I go again! Gonna try tossing my hat into the video ads arena. Was contacted by respectable company offering fair compensation. So I'm probably going to try it for a month.

I think the only thing you'll notice is a small video window on the lower right playing an ad. You can close it if you want to.
Here is a sample:
https://www.cleanmedia.net/publishers/demos/VideoFloat/

I would never clutter the site with ads (like last time) but I'm hoping this won't be too disruptive. It's really kind of a test run so we'll see how it goes. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up so you're not like "what the [expletive] is THIS?!" I will be looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks for the heads up.

Not a fan of this change, as one VERY obnoxious thing that occurs for many pages with videos is the "close" button is either hard to discern or appears after yea so long (presumably to lock in the ad revenue for whatever settings were used), usually also clogging up loading the page while at it.

Best of luck this helps you out. Will ride along and see how it goes. :-)

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 8th, 2021, 4:56 am

Just noticed this tonight for the first time, myself. I think it's OK. I'm browsing on my desktop Mac Mini, under Safari, and the ad is small and stuffed in the lower right-hand corner. The "X" to close the ad is a little hard to find against the black background of the site, but I did find it, and the ad closed promptly when I clicked it.

As far as ads go on websites, it's about as non-obtrusive as it gets. Can't complain, especially if the ad revenue helps keep the site up and running.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » September 8th, 2021, 7:04 pm

It's pretty intrusive on the mobile platform. Every new screen has an ad pop up that takes about 25% of the screen real estate. Yes, you can close it by simply clicking on the 'x'. The site's design (which I like) leads to lots of new screens... for example: main page, board index, video games general, possible video ad campaign, post reply, sign in, actually type my response, preview, submit. That's 9 pop up ads - too much in my mind.

I tried to attach a screenshot, but it kept telling me the file size was too large. I'll keep trying and if I succeed, I'll share.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 8th, 2021, 7:07 pm

On pc browser, only one vid popped up.

On mobile, I've had two (total of three once this submits), and given how wonky touch screens can behave on phones (I've had a few occasions when I click on something and it selected something a significant amount of pixels away), not a fan.

If only one popup occurs on the main page and goes away (as it did earlier while I perused the NEOGEO section on PC), I'd be fine with it

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming.

I can request a change to the ad frequency, but since I have an agreement the ad company I might have to keep it this way for a month. After that I can negotiate the terms going forward.

Hang in there!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 8th, 2021, 7:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming.

I can request a change to the ad frequency, but since I have an agreement the ad company I might have to keep it this way for a month. After that I can negotiate the terms going forward.

Hang in there!

(+3 vids for the post)
Here's to more reviews! 8-)

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » September 8th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Do what you need to do my friend. You've essentially been doing this for all of us for free for over 20 years!

I APPRECIATE what you do!! Love this site!!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 8th, 2021, 8:19 pm

Sucks major balls. I mean major balls. We are talking the kind that can gag a horse.

This is on mobile. Every page and forum page has it appear. When clicking to post it appears. When clicking to preview the post it appears. When I click submit I'm sure it will appear. I cannot express how much I loathe this feature.

I'm happy to sign up for a subscription to avoid dealing with this. Name a fair price and I'll gladly pay. But this, no thank you. I'll see you in 30 days. I don't even want to try the desktop.

[edited]

I can confirm that when clicking submit on mobile the ad appears appears. On the desktop my pop-up blockers work and no video ad appears. So, aces on that front. Mobile, egad, it's awful. It's giant and annoying.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » September 8th, 2021, 9:09 pm

If you need the ad revenue, I wouldn't axe it based on one or two voices. The popup ad is annoying but many sites have worse pop ups. Personally I'll get used to it.

Return to “Video Games General”