Gaming and the Internet

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Gaming and the Internet

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2021, 10:50 pm

I was kind of shocked to see an article like this on Ars:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/08/ ... comments=1

I've long lamented how all the new systems and games are tethered to the internet whether it's necessary or not. I think we've all suffered from the consequences like unfinished games, gigantic updates, loss of ownership, etc.

The thing is, usually if you complain about anything internet-related you get a bunch of teenagers telling you that you're old and you need to get with the times. Like we're not supposed to believe our own eyes. They think just because they have great internet that their parents pay for, everyone else does too. But believe me when I say my internet is crap.

But looking at the comments for this article I feel like I'm not alone. A lot of people avoid playing online and there are many good reasons for it.

Thoughts?

Voor

Re: Gaming and the Internet

Postby Voor » August 30th, 2021, 2:48 am

My thought is that the subject has been beaten to death here. Lol.

jon

Postby jon » August 30th, 2021, 10:03 am

You know what I can’t stand, is things malfunctioning. I have all my movies now on Apple TV. I miss DVD’s and even VHS because sometimes my TV will lose internet connection and I can’t watch my movies.

Also, the ridiculous Apple Music let’s me down all the time. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to load the freaking thing. Then sometimes it takes up to a minute for the car to process and play music. How about the car comes with a CD player!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 30th, 2021, 11:07 am

Dude, it's a guy living on an island complaining about slow internet speeds.

Cry me a river...

Get https://www.starlink.com/ and sign up for the beta.

Problem solved.

Geesh, there are options out there you have to pick up the phone. You may have to spend more to upgrade your DSL or cable and have them run a second line. But, there are options to increasing both bandwidth and reducing latency.

I get that if you live in the middle of nowhere that it's next to impossible but, Dave, dude, you live in a major metropolitan city. I have zero empathy for you on this one. Upgrade your internet connections.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » August 30th, 2021, 12:09 pm

I don't mind online updates too much, I rarely get games as soon as they get out anyways so they're usually fixed/patched by the time I play them. When it comes to online gaming though I stay away. Not because of internet speeds, but because I just don't like it anymore. For me, games are so much more fun when I experience them by myself. I only ever do multiplayer games with my wife and close friends, which is in person anyways, and not that often.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » August 30th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Pros and cons. While I agree that the online interface of some systems and the loss of support (like Wii online stuff, just as an example.) is really a bummer, overall I feel the internet has been a boon for gaming.

Patches, while certain companies take advantage of and release unfinished products, also allow companies to fix stuff.

There are numerous 80's and 90's games with bad glitches, some of which can break the game, that can only be fixed if you patch a rom and put it on a flash cart. (Lufia 2 and Gradius 3 for the SNES for 2 examples.)

And the PS1 + Saturn era? Tons of garbage shovelware, only back then you were spending 50 dollars on it instead of 5 to 10 on steam/nintendo online/GOG/etc.

Also the internet has given me access to music that I would have never, ever found otherwise.

Of course, it's also given rise to FB and our current global situation... so you know, win some you lose some.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 30th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Good point, I bet if you poll gamers and lot of them will take the small annoyances if it means they get to experience the joys of playing online with others.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 30th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Some times it is really bad. My internet goes down and I cannot watch movies nor play music or games. Life in the internet age. Though this is me.
I have a blu rays, dvds, VHS. I have CDs. I have all of the players. Blu ray, cd, 3 vhs players. Books. So I can use whatever. Today I wanted to see Vigil. A thriller set on an Armageddon sub! So I turned to free view and I am watching it. No BB needed.

though I like watching new movies, Prime internet, playing new games, Steam Internet. I do still buy cds and paperbacks.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 30th, 2021, 4:51 pm

I think the best comment was from the guy who says he just doesn't "have time" for online gaming. I have to agree with this.
In the past when I've arranged to play a friend it was the most time-consuming thing, with all sorts of technical headaches.

My philosophy is that I'm trying to experience as many games as possible. Granted many other people focus on a single game and for them I guess online is a gift that keeps on giving. To each his own.

I pay over $230/mo for my internet (Comcast triple play) and there's really no other options besides FIOS (which has zero customer service). The problem is, you share the network with your neighbors, so if they are active enough it takes away from your bandwidth.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » August 30th, 2021, 7:44 pm

You might be referring to me. I've posted in separate threads about this:

"Breaker
Re: Modern Gaming Headaches
PostJuly 18th, 2015, 5:21 pm

You've hit on exactly the reason I play my classic consoles far more often than my PS3 or 360 - almost all of the times I play video games are in 60 minute or less increments, and the majority are less than that, maybe 40 minutes or less. The install and load times just kill me. I can turn on my Genesis and be playing in 40 seconds."

And...

"Breaker
Re: Why did you go back?
PostDecember 12th, 2016, 3:49 pm

You hit on the biggest ones for me. Most of my gaming is done in 30 minute chunks. Maybe an hour if I'm really lucky. I want games that are pick-up-and-play, quick developing, and have relatively short levels. I also despise being online, so that can limit things post-6th generation.

Plus, if I want to play video games with my buddies, we get together in the same room and play looking at the same screen. Way more fun than via a headset."

I have 300+mbps internet service, and I don't need any faster. If I have 30-40 minutes to play and a new gsme is going to take all of that to load? I'll pass. If a game I already have loaded needs 10-15 minutes to update? I'll pass. If my console needs to update? I'll pass. It just isn't worth my time. Your mileage may vary.

Return to “Video Games General”