PSP Batteries Expanding

General and high profile video game topics.
nesfan

PSP Batteries Expanding

Postby nesfan » September 1st, 2021, 5:10 am

I got a new PSP game the other day and went to play it. When I grabbed my PSP, the battery compartment door was loose and the reason why was that the battery inside was swollen. I've seen this happen once before when I sold used games a few years back and a customer tried to sell us a PSP with a massively engorged battery (which we didn't buy of course). So I looked it up after seeing mine and this is apparently happening to a lot of PSPs now. The batteries are getting old and expanding. Has anyone else experienced this? Got any recommendations for replacement batteries? I want to buy a new one but will the same thing happen to the new one shortly? I want to get some insight before I go shopping for a new battery.

MSR1701

Re: PSP Batteries Expanding

Postby MSR1701 » September 1st, 2021, 10:01 am

Oh yikes, first I've heard of this issue. I have a hacked PSPGo system, though half the time I run it I have to be plugged in to the wall due to the age on the battery.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 1st, 2021, 10:22 am

Yes, this happened to mine as well. I had gone a long time without using it and I went to grab it one day, only to discover that the battery cover had popped off from the enlarged battery. Like you, I had never seen it before but I learned it is a common problem once I googled it. For now, my solution was just to buy a new battery on ebay. But it wouldn't surprise me if this is a regular occurrence and I'm buying another in 5-10 years. I wonder if the problem is more likely to occur from the battery being constantly in place... i.e., if you just insert it when needed, maybe it lasts longer.

But retro handhelds in general always seem to be an ongoing headache. I had 3 Game Gears in storage for years -- all succumbed to screen deterioration from bad capacitors. Doing a capacitor kit seemed completely tedious, so I just bought another Game Gear. I turned on my Watara Supervision a few months ago, only to see that it has screen rot. And the Gizmondo is notorious for battery issues-- getting a Gizmondo working is almost impossible, because the rechargeable batteries almost never work anymore. You basically need a dead battery installed as a pass-through, with the right AC adapter plugged in. Long term, I think these portables with rechargeable batteries are going to present huge challenges for retro gamers trying to preserve their systems in working condition.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 1st, 2021, 10:29 am

Retro STrife wrote:Yes, this happened to mine as well. I had gone a long time without using it and I went to grab it one day, only to discover that the battery cover had popped off from the enlarged battery. Like you, I had never seen it before but I learned it is a common problem once I googled it. For now, my solution was just to buy a new battery on ebay. But it wouldn't surprise me if this is a regular occurrence and I'm buying another in 5-10 years. I wonder if the problem is more likely to occur from the battery being constantly in place... i.e., if you just insert it when needed, maybe it lasts longer.

But retro handhelds in general always seem to be an ongoing headache. I had 3 Game Gears in storage for years -- all succumbed to screen deterioration from bad capacitors. Doing a capacitor kit seemed completely tedious, so I just bought another Game Gear. I turned on my Watara Supervision a few months ago, only to see that it has screen rot. And the Gizmodo is notorious for battery issues-- getting a Gizmodo working is almost impossible, because the rechargeable batteries almost never work anymore. You basically need a dead battery installed as a pass-through, with the right AC adapter plugged in. Long term, I think these portables with rechargeable batteries are going to present huge challenges for retro gamers trying to preserve their systems in working condition.

Those are very good points. Sadly, screen rot killed my OG Game Boy, and given screen issues on Game Gear, Lynx and other aging portables, I wish more titles could be rereleased to keep access alive outside of emulation, such as the Evercade or the portable Analogue system

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 1st, 2021, 1:02 pm

Retro's suggestion is probably the most practical, nesfan - do some research, and buy a replacement battery from a reputable seller. eBay, Amazon, and even AliExpress have plenty of options for replacements. Look at feedback and user reviews to help you determine the best product to buy, and the best seller to buy from.

While the replacement battery will likely not be an original factory part, installing a replacement is a much, much better option than leaving the original faulty battery in place. That one of the positives of doing any sort of repair to older systems - there's no warranty to worry about voiding a decade-plus after the fact!

To be honest, this is part of a larger issue where, unfortunately, most things just aren't built to last. Each poster on this forum has mentioned their own issues with their devices failing over time, and I don't doubt that many of you kept them in pristine storage conditions, and subjected them to only normal use.

Retro STrife wrote:Long term, I think these portables with rechargeable batteries are going to present huge challenges for retro gamers trying to preserve their systems in working condition.

Well said. As you mentioned, Retro, it's not just handhelds, as older consoles and computers have issues with failing capacitors and batteries. The plus side is, these older consoles have held up great for the last 30 - 40 years, and even though nobody wants to see their electronics fail, several decades is a pretty good run for any sort of vintage tech!

How many of us have a refrigerator, water heater, TV, or even a car that's held up that long?? Sooner of later, these things just wear out. Everything has an expiration date. It's possible to breathe new life into older tech, though sometimes it involves pretty drastic, involved means to keep something up and running.

Thankfully, replacing a battery on a PSP isn't the most challenging endeavor, and I wish you luck in your search and repair, nesfan.

The important thing is for all of us to enjoy our toys while we can - but also be aware that nothing lasts forever.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 1st, 2021, 1:10 pm

Well said.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » September 19th, 2021, 8:49 am

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I guess this is a relatively new phenomenon so looks like Amazon reviews of the different batteries are my best bet. At least if the issue persists, the PSP will always work without a battery with the AC adaptor.

Return to “Video Games General”