Things you will NEVER do?

General and high profile video game topics.
Cafeman

Re: Things you will NEVER do?

Postby Cafeman » September 7th, 2021, 4:21 pm

I will never again buy a console at launch. It is top dollar, there is usually little to play and you'll be waiting for new titles months and months. I like to wait a year and a half or more and then get the system, usually there are some pretty good deals on games by then.

Mind you, I do not regret getting the Dreamcast at launch on 9-9-99.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 7th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Never make a new gamer feel unwelcome, just because they haven't played as many games as I have.

It's fun to blow their minds, and see the best and worst games through a fresh set of eyes.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 7th, 2021, 7:18 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:What is something video game related that you will never, ever do? For me, it's pay a subscription to play a game. Paying for a service, like Playstation Plus or Gamepass, is fine because one fee is opening the door to a lot of different games and other services. But paying a fee just to play a single game? No. I'll pay to buy a game, and I'll pay Gamepass to get access to a whole bunch of games at once, but I'll never pay money to play a game I already bought.

I've said Never too many times for so many things (Never buying a PS3, never rebuying an OG XBox, never selling my (insert system/game here), never buy (insert paid service for games here). The one constant is that I learned never to say "I will never do X" again...

Haha, I was thinking this very thing. My gaming tastes have changed over time. What I wouldn't do before I'd play now and vice versa.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 7th, 2021, 7:44 pm

Oh, here's another one: micro-effing-transactions. Pretty much for the same reason as my first one. I mean, I wish I could say I was surprised that so many game developers have jumped on the chance to make even more money off the people who have already bought their product, but...*gestures vaguely at the industry*

I don't have anything against the ones that are purely cosmetic, where you spend a dollar or five to buy a costume for your character to wear. I won't buy them, but the fact that they're 100% optional makes them...tolerable, I guess. What I have absolutely no patience for is when they are necessary to beat the game, like in Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the newer one) or Middle Earth: Shadow of War. ESPECIALLYYYYYY when they hide the things you need to beat the game behind loot boxes, so that even when you pay for the crap there's still a chance you won't get whatever it is you need, forcing you to pay even more.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 7th, 2021, 8:24 pm

I will second the 'never doing micro transactions' thing. I honestly hate how games do this now. Buy Smash Bros on the Switch. But you don't get every character! You have to spend more money on a fighters pass to unlock it all!

Dragonball Fighterz does the same thing. At least with an online game like Heroes of the Storm or League of Legends there is in game currency you earn by playing to do things like buy more heroes...

But spend real money just to unlock more playable characters for a game I spent 50 bucks on? Yeah, not happening.

Don't even get me started how real money gives you an edge in a lot of these games. The items purchased with real money will have better abilities/stats than anything you can find in the game. There used to be a facebook marvel game that had this fault like crazy. I'd be literally double the level of another player but they spent real money on gear and it was so insanely overpowered compared to anything you'd find in the campaign. Pay to Win is complete crap.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 7th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Cafeman wrote:I will never again buy a console at launch.

Great point. To me, this is an easy one, and a rule I have followed exclusively since high-profile console launches became an industry norm. Not only are new release consoles hard to find, they are also usually prone to quality control issues that get ironed out in later revisions.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've *ever* bought a new console right at launch! As others have said, I refuse to wait in long lines, and I refuse to pay a premium on the secondhand market. If I can't walk into a store and walk out with the product at retail price, or on sale, I'll simply wait until the day comes that I can.

Personally, I think bigger companies view early adopters a guinea pigs of a sort, seeing just how much the general population is willing to spend, what kind of features they are looking for, what features they find lacking, etc, etc. It almost never fails that a newly-released console will get some sort of revision within the first year or two, with better features that probably should have been part of the launch in the first place.

And this is usually combined with some sort of price drop, or at least sold at the same price for a product with better features than the original release. It is rarely a bad thing to be a patient gamer, as I feel you are rewarded with a better product if you can wait. This also applies to the games, themselves, especially when "Ultimate Editions" or "Complete Editions" of popular games are often offered a year or so after release.

Return to “Video Games General”