Happy birthday, Sega Dreamcast!

General and high profile video game topics.
djc

Re: Happy birthday, Sega Dreamcast!

Postby djc » September 11th, 2021, 1:44 am

The Dreamcast is by far one of my favorite systems. I will never forget going to EB with my cousin on launch day to pick up his pre-ordered console and NFL 2K. We played it all day/night and marveled at the graphics, gameplay, and presentation. I didn't know at the time but my girlfriend also pre-ordered one for me and I had my own soon after (and yes I married her).

I think a DVD drive would have kept it competitive with the PS2 and original XBox but I doubt it would have beaten them in the long haul. I do feel Sega gave up on it too quickly though.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 11th, 2021, 7:38 pm

I don't think a DVD would have helped, in fact the extra cost and license fee would have put Sega under even faster.

zetax

Postby zetax » September 9th, 2023, 5:50 pm

Almost missed it. Happy birthday, Dreamcast. 24 years, next year you can rent a car.

Miles Prower

Postby Miles Prower » September 9th, 2023, 7:02 pm

Lol! I saw the date 9/9 and thought of this too! Happy Birthday, Dreamcast! Most underappreciated console ever!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 9th, 2023, 7:35 pm

I never stopped loving this console. I think it was really the last arcade-oriented console, with games you could just pop in and go to town with.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 9th, 2023, 11:13 pm

Still two hours left here!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 10th, 2023, 5:06 am

Seaman was such an odd but excellent experience on the Dreamcast

here's Seaman talking about the internet back in 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nlpDdk5KXg

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » September 10th, 2023, 5:08 am

Never clicked with me. The best game to me was Resident Evil Code Veronica and it also came to PS2. The Sega games like most Sega games are respectable but not my thing. It's also a heavy and noisy console. Tried playing D2 but it just screamed at me the whole time, was unbearable.

Favorite game is Rent-a-Hero No.1, but that never left Japan. There's a translation now though...

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 10th, 2023, 2:52 pm

This brings back memories. I’ve stated this before but in 1999 I was working part-time in Tokyo. It was lunch-break in Shinjuku (part of Tokyo), I was reading in the Daily Yomiuri newspaper, and the Dreamcast was just about to come out. The newspaper interview was with the Sega CEO I believe and the question was something like “What if the Dreamcast doesn’t succeed?” and the reply was “This is it.” along with some other sober points. Not sure why but that article really left an impression on me.

I tried to find the article but no luck.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 10th, 2023, 7:09 pm

Samba de Amigo!

Man, I love the Dreamcast. Every genre and even wacky new ones were available for it.

It's a shame it never caught on with the masses.

As I was killing a few minutes in Best Buy on Friday, I picked up the new Samba game for the Switch. Tonight, we shake the maracas in salute to one of the best.

Return to “Video Games General”