Hardcore Gaming?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Hardcore Gaming?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 20th, 2021, 10:13 pm

Does anyone here enjoy hardcore gaming? IE, where you can only keep playing under certain conditions. Most people do it so that if you die once, its game over and you have to start again. Or there's Pokemon Nuzlockes, where you have to make a team out of the first Pokemon you catch and if they're KOed they're dead for good.

I've tried a couple Dark Souls hardcore runs. I never made it very far, but they were fun. I didn't have the patience to start a whole new game immediately after losing, though.

Crummylion

Re: Hardcore Gaming?

Postby Crummylion » September 20th, 2021, 11:04 pm

I usually prefer to play on normal difficulty, but I LOVE the concept and find it more compelling when a whole party is involved someway. I do pretty much play Subnautica in this mode only though. Technically my first introduction to permadeath was Fire Emblem on the GBA, but I discovered HC mode through a Minecraft LP from Peanut Butter Gamer. It's essentially survival mode set up to the nth degree and gets you on your toes when one after one is gone from the party. If I ever get the chance to do something like this for a game in a full party, I am absolutely down.
Friends of mine are grouping together to play Diablo 3 on the Nintendo Switch and I figured I'd drop in with a character set to Hardcore mode. Of course, I would be the only one doing HC mode. Never played any of the Diablo games despite being namekeeps for HC mode, so I'm absolutely down to start with 3 even if it's well despised by long time fans. Switch version seems to be a collector's item now though ever since it went on sale last week...

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 20th, 2021, 11:07 pm

Crummylion wrote:I discovered HC mode through a Minecraft LP from Peanut Butter Gamer.

Man, I used to love PBG. Those were simpler times.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 24th, 2021, 1:27 am

Not me, but this topic reminded me of the late 90s / early 2000s, when hardcore gaming was just lingo for being a serious gamer (vs. being a casual gamer). I wonder what terminology has replaced it since.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » September 24th, 2021, 2:28 pm

When I lived in Japan a few years ago I got to meet and talk to the designer of Gimmick(Mr Gimmick if you want) and he said Sunsoft forced him to add continues, he didn't want to put them in, he wanted people to "get good" more or less. I can't share that mentality, I think you can make hardcore games without being unfair and/or force people to redo levels just to get to the one you're having trouble on. Makes me wish more games implemented "save anywhere" systems like old PC games used to have.

Return to “Video Games General”