Games you'd buy if you had money to burn

General and high profile video game topics.
JohanOberg

Games you'd buy if you had money to burn

Postby JohanOberg » October 19th, 2021, 2:22 pm

This goes out to us collector types, because sometimes there are games that you can find ways to play but still would like to own and put in your shelf as well. I'll give you 4 of mine.

1. Gokinjo Boukentai - Super Famicom
An RPG in the vein of Earthbound in the way that it stars kids(pre-schoolers in this case) and the battles take place in first-person view so to speak. Released by Pioneer and goes for 200$ most of the time.

2. Love Quest - Super Famicom
Kind of if Leisure Suit Larry met Dragon Quest. Stupid and humorous but I like stupid games. 200$+

3. Yuuyami Doori Tankentai - Playstation
Made by ex-Human Entertainment virtuoso Keita Kimura, you play as three kids walking around investigating spooky rumors, looks like Clock Tower with digitized graphics but without the survival horror. If you know about Twilight Syndrome, it's kind of like that, which makes sense because Kimura did the legwork on that game before Suda 51 took over.

4. Rule of Rose - PS2
This one you should all be familiar with, right? It looks very intriguing to me, and I really want to play it.. but I'd also like to own it. I know where I can get the japanese version for as low a price as 220$, but.. what if it's not any good?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Games you'd buy if you had money to burn

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 20th, 2021, 6:22 pm

Herc's Adventure - Saturn

Snow Brothers - NES

Mighty Final Fight - NES

Power Drive - Game Gear

Adventure of Link (Philips Cdi)

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » October 20th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Arcade cabinets. Like Sega Super GT and Sega Rally 2 and Super Hang On. But also some 80s cabs like Zaxxon, Ms Pac-man, Reactor, Tron, and Donkey Kong.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 20th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Skyward Sword remake. Just can't justify spending the money when I have my perfectly good copy on the Wii.

strat

Postby strat » October 20th, 2021, 9:45 pm

I'm vaguely interested in collecting Famicom and FDS just to get the real experience of owning that system. At a glance they're not unreasonably expensive but I can't justify the funds or space.

Also PC-Engine and its various redesigns (PC-Engine Shuttle!).

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 20th, 2021, 9:55 pm

Herschie wrote:Skyward Sword remake. Just can't justify spending the money when I have my perfectly good copy on the Wii.

I hear ya. I feel the same way about my perfectly good copy of the original No More Heroes. It works fine, it's complete, and my Wii is still connected to my TV, so why would I bother with the recent re-release on Switch?

Come to think of it, three of the four Wii games I own have gotten the HD treatment in recent times - Sonic Colors, Sam & Max Save The World, and the aforementioned No More Heroes. Only Trauma Team hasn't gotten that HD facelift yet - but I wouldn't put it past Atlus to give it a revamp in the future.

I just can't bring myself to buy the same game twice, when I already have a perfectly good copy that works perfectly, as well. Fight the urge, Herschie! You can do it!!

Back on topic, let me give this discussion a slightly different spin. I *do* have money to burn. But in order to keep it that way, I am notoriously judicious in my spending. I don't get the urge to add to my collection much, as, at this age, I feel like I already have every game I could possibly want. And as much as I like the allure of arcade machines, they're big, they're heavy, and they are costly to repair.

There was a different thread a while ago about a user who made MAME cabinets that mimicked the original very well. I feel like I would go this route if I found a game I really wanted, but as someone who's bought several Arcade 1Up machines in recent years - and enjoyed them - I can say that the allure of owning a home arcade machine fades pretty quickly once you get it home. At least, in my experience.

I'll make one particular user on these boards happy by quoting Spock: "Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It may not be logical, but it is often true." As exciting as it is to make wishlists and daydream, I can tell you from my own experiences that, once you catch that wild goose or find that Holy Grail, a big part of the thrill goes right out the window.

We're all wired differently. I get that. But as someone that can afford practically anything they want, I've found that I get a bigger thrill by not caving in, and just learning to be happy with what I already have.

Though I will give you this, JohanOberg - If I didn't already have a Sega CD and Road Rash, I would absolutely go out of my way to track them both down. Few things put me in my happy place like that combo does 8-)

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » October 21st, 2021, 4:17 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Herc's Adventure - Saturn
Adventure of Link (Philips Cdi)

Are you talking about Zelda's Adventure? Surely you have Link the Faces of Evil already.

Sorry, didn't mean to call you Shirley there

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 22nd, 2021, 8:14 pm

Games, or systems? I could list a half-dozen rare, obscure systems I wouldn’t mind owing, or at least trying.

Restricted to just games… Maybe Quadrun for the 2600. Or a few other rare 2600 games.

More a affordable, but still impractical: Spyro, on the PS1. $39 to $40 is too much for a used game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 22nd, 2021, 9:36 pm

Yes I meant Zelda's Adventure.

Maybe I'd get Swordquest Waterworld. That would be a crown jewel of any collection.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » October 23rd, 2021, 2:34 am

I probably have a high bar to set since I paid 90 dollars for Skygunner before (usually goes for 140, so thank god for that store closing discount and the idiot who ruined the box's price value...,) so I guess I draw the line at the triple digits.

Haunting Grounds and its lesser but already mentioned sibling, Rule of Rose. Already got Clocktower 3, so I gotta finish the trio. Definitely want my hands on the Simpsons Arcade Game, can't even afford the Arcade1Up version. Oh, and owning the rare Futurama game would be nice I guess.
Definitely want Valkyrie Profile though, but six hundred dollars is out of my budget... Anyone know if the mobile port is any good?... Come on, I know it's a port of a not as expensive psp port, but I'm too lazy to get a psp or an emulator.

Return to “Video Games General”