Battle of the As—Episode 4: Final Fantasy VII vs Chrono Trigger

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Battle of the As—Episode 4: Final Fantasy VII vs Chrono Trigger

Postby Voor » November 11th, 2021, 9:16 am

In light of the RPG threads, I figure we’d honor this cool genre. Not for everyone, but has its diehard fans. Today’s games are two of the highest regarded of all times. I have no idea how this will turn out.

MSR1701

Re: Battle of the As—Episode 4: Final Fantasy VII vs Chrono Trigger

Postby MSR1701 » November 15th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Chrono Trigger

Jokes aside, Chrono Trigger is one of a few RPGs that I have come back to multiple times over the years to play thru several times (partially thanks to the EXCELLENT DS release), thanks to the excellent soundtrack, great story, awesome art direction, great battle system, emotional moments, and characters that I usually have a reason to care about, with humor and drama mixed in.

Oh, and New Game + allows you to piddle around and realize that there are MANY hidden/alternate/joke endings within the game...

FFVIII is good insofar as 32-Bit RPGs go, though due to the fact this IS a 32-bit RPG, there are several issues with the game that have NOT aged well (load times on the old PSX version, pacing issues, graphic quirks, etc.), though several of these issues have been resolved in the digital rerelease on modern systems (such as the Switch). While some of the characters I like, some of them are just not interesting (Cloud is far from the worst protagonist in FF, though I really couldn't find myself liking him), and Sepharoth was far from an interesting foe other than his ability to control beings with his genes built in to them. As great as the soundtrack is, I would easily argue that overall Chrono Trigger is the better piece (oh, and One Wing Angel is good, though I would argue Dancing Mad is the better final boss theme for FF). Also, it must be noted that I was not phased by Areth's death, as I rarely used her in the game, and was (and still) shocked how many people were stunned that this occurred at all (having played Phantasy Star II, I knew what happened to Nei, and was more irritated for Nei's perma-death because A) I liked her, and B) she was VERY useful).

Voor

Postby Voor » November 16th, 2021, 7:07 am

I had a feeling CT would be looked at as the better game, but I remember how utterly blown away everyone was after FF7’s release.

Both are still immensely popular, and it’s interesting to me how an older system can actually age better than a more recent one. Guess the PS1 was the “Atari” of that type of technology—impressive at the time, but not so 20+ years later.

Still, both of these games end of on a LOT of top 25 games of all times lists.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 17th, 2021, 11:33 am

Final Fantasy VII. I did not play Chrono Trigger back in the day, but FF7 blew me away in the late 90s and had a huge impact on my gaming in the years after it. I know many PS1 gamers can say the same. But being a huge Squaresoft fan, I had to play Chrono Trigger, so I finally played through it around 2010 or so. I finished the game, but didn't love it and found myself just slogging through it to say I beat it. Plus, I hate games with multiple endings, where you have to consult a guide to make sure you get the good ending. Obviously I was not playing the game two times in 2010, so I didn't have the luxury of just winging it.

A few years back, I tried playing FF7 again for the first time in almost 20 years. I was expecting disappointment, having heard all the claims of how poorly it aged. What I found is that the game still holds up amazingly well and is still worth playing today. Yes, random turn-based battles are a lot more annoying in 2021 than in 1997. For that reason, I recommend the re-issue on modern consoles, which allows random battles to be turned off, speed walking, etc. But FF7 became a hit because of the characters, the world, and so many intangible factors that have kept fans attached to it for 20+ years, and those things never get old.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 17th, 2021, 11:48 am

Retro STrife wrote:Final Fantasy VII. I did not play Chrono Trigger back in the day, but FF7 blew me away in the late 90s and had a huge impact on my gaming in the years after it. I know many PS1 gamers can say the same. But being a huge Squaresoft fan, I had to play Chrono Trigger, so I finally played through it around 2010 or so. I finished the game, but didn't love it and found myself just slogging through it to say I beat it. Plus, I hate games with multiple endings, where you have to consult a guide to make sure you get the good ending. Obviously I was not playing the game two times in 2010, so I didn't have the luxury of just winging it.

A few years back, I tried playing FF7 again for the first time in almost 20 years. I was expecting disappointment, having heard all the claims of how poorly it aged. What I found is that the game still holds up amazingly well and is still worth playing today. Yes, random turn-based battles are a lot more annoying in 2021 than in 1997. For that reason, I recommend the re-issue on modern consoles, which allows random battles to be turned off, speed walking, etc. But FF7 became a hit because of the characters, the world, and so many intangible factors that have kept fans attached to it for 20+ years, and those things never get old.

I do have to stress that, for all that I think FFVII is one of the most overrated games ever, it IS a very strong and playable RPG.

Against Chrono Trigger, FFVII just is not the same caliber of fun (NG+ adds a HUGE element to the game, especially with the hidden quests, and the huge added elements from the DS release).

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 17th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Well... as someone with quite a bit of RPG experience from this era, let me say overall Chrono Trigger.

The game is fantastic. I actually like that it isn't as long as FF7 and I feel the characters are better. Especially in my relatively recentish play through of both. (CT in 2017 and FF7 in 2018)

I feel the sprites have aged better than the PS1 graphics, (though FF7 is genuinely one of the best looking games on that system... only outshined by FF8 and 9. Honestly those last two look better than some bad PS2 games.) and I feel the storyline is just better done, easier to follow, and more enjoyable.

One edge I will give FF7? And this is tough... but the music.

Oh my god both of these give MEGA nostalgia, but when I was listening to the FF7 soundtrack earlier this year, picking songs for a DnD game I was running at the time, it was fantastic. CT has AMAZING music, but damn, my whole body was tingling with FF7 music. Hell, just thinking about it now gives me the feels.

So overall, this is a matchup I view pretty close... and honestly, maybe 10 years ago, (when I had more time to pump into an RPG) I would have given the edge to FF7. Now though? The less than 30 hour story of Chrono Trigger, with battles that can be avoided, is preferred.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 18th, 2021, 10:33 am

Interesting that everyone makes comparisons on how the impact the games made on them in yesteryear versus how they have aged.

strat

Postby strat » November 18th, 2021, 11:38 am

MSR1701 wrote:Also, it must be noted that I was not phased by Areth's death, as I rarely used her in the game, and was (and still) shocked how many people were stunned that this occurred at all (having played Phantasy Star II, I knew what happened to Nei,
and was more irritated for Nei's perma-death because A) I liked her, and B) she was VERY useful).

One of the weirder things about that is how you can use the cloning lab to bring her back during normal gameplay, but when you go there after she dies, the lab... person says it's not possible to bring back demi-humans. Maybe that's because killing NeiFirst destroys all demi-human dna, but otherwise makes no sense.

CT > FFVII. It's a lot tougher with FFVI.

strat

Postby strat » November 18th, 2021, 11:43 am

MSR1701 wrote:Against Chrono Trigger, FFVII just is not the same caliber of fun (NG+ adds a HUGE element to the game, especially with the hidden quests, and the huge added elements from the DS release).

I didn't care for most of the extra content in the DS version. It came off like a glorified rom hack. Some of the new weapons were good, at least.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 18th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Fun, but very difficult as I like both games. Though I played FF7 before CT, I'd say both are top tier, I'd even say they're dead even rather than putting one over the other. Both have memorable characters, both have awesome music, gameplay, and storylines, thourh CT's graphics have definitely stood the test of time for sure, quite ironic that 2D stands the time test more than 3D, though that isn't always the case. I do admit FF7's graphics have aged poorly, except for the cutscenes and battle graphics, the blocky graphics do add a touch of quirk and humor though. FF7 for me, the man and the game meet, it impacted me more than any other, though I do like CT's time travel gimmick having grown up with time travel pop culture such as Bill and Ted and Back to the Future. Cloud and Tifa are my favorite VG hero and heroine; Cloud for his cool sword, spikey hair, mysterious character, and deep development from wimp with anxiety and self-doubt to selfless hero; and Tifa for her best appearance (long black hair, sweet smile, midriff-baring tank top), to her badass fighting ability second to none, and the biggest of all, acting as the heart of Cloud's group even helping Cloud find himself. As for Chrono, since he's a silence protagonist it's hard to connect to him at least for me that is, Marle has a lot of spunk which I like plus cool crossbow. Every other character from both games has memorable quirks, and that's what I love about both games. Even after I beat them, I keep coming back, that's how powerful the staying power of both is. FF7 might not have the New Game + feature, but in game there are other options such as dating, sub quests, etc.

Return to “Video Games General”