Surprising Franchise Crossovers

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Surprising Franchise Crossovers

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 24th, 2021, 3:58 pm

I was just thinking about the game Robocop Vs Terminator (Genesis/SNES) and how surprising it is that the two big-name franchises were able to be combined in the same game. Then I did a little research and discovered they were both distributed by Orion. I guess that was enough to keep the lawyers at bay.

Same with Aliens Vs Predator (20th Century Fox). I suspect if these movies were released by separate companies there is no way these collaborations would have seen the light of day. Does stuff like this still happen?

Thoughts?

Zack Burner

Re: Surprising Franchise Crossovers

Postby Zack Burner » November 24th, 2021, 4:31 pm

I still love the Jaguar shooter Alien vs Predator, and I absolutely love Battletoads/Double Dragon, since it's easier to play and grasp than the regular games. Both are megaton awesome fun!

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 28th, 2021, 9:18 am

Marvel Super Heroes/X-Men/whatever Marvel franchises vs. Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat vs. Marvel Universe

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » November 28th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Bookmarking this thread for the day they finally make Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 28th, 2021, 2:55 pm

As CaptainCrunch already mentioned, Marvel vs. Capcom pretty much rules the day.

Such a strange mashup on paper, but with some downright excellent games as a result. I don't think any other gaming crossover even comes close for me.

(And, somehow, I doubt they have the same lawyers...)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 15th, 2021, 8:41 am

Mega Man/Sonic the Hedgehog comic cross-overs (they have had two events in the comics)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 15th, 2021, 9:03 am

1. Halo and Dead or Alive 3 - Technically, it wasn't Master Chief but some other Spartan that showed up as a playable character if I recall correctly.

2. And then in Halo 3 we had the crossover from Ninja Gaiden with the Hyubusa (sp?) armor if you got all the achievement points. (and I did for the record)

3. And then there was Soul Caliber with Star Wars. On the PS2 you got Darth Vader and Gamecube you had Yoda. And on the Xbox we got Spawn...Okay that one sort of made sense out of the three.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 15th, 2021, 9:39 am

ActRaiser wrote:1. Halo and Dead or Alive 3 - Technically, it wasn't Master Chief but some other Spartan that showed up as a playable character if I recall correctly.

2. And then in Halo 3 we had the crossover from Ninja Gaiden with the Hyubusa (sp?) armor if you got all the achievement points. (and I did for the record)

3. And then there was Soul Caliber with Star Wars. On the PS2 you got Darth Vader and Gamecube you had Yoda. And on the Xbox we got Spawn...Okay that one sort of made sense out of the three.

Link in Soul Caliber II GC...

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » December 15th, 2021, 11:21 am

MSR1701 wrote:Link in Soul Caliber II GC...

Oh, that reminds me. Negan in Tekken 7. Was legitimately expecting a Walking Dead character to be in Mortal Kombat, but he's in a game for adolescent to mature teenagers instead. Sounds like I'm degrading both Tekken and MK in a way; but to best put it, they put a malicious character who bludgeoned several characters to death and choked out friggin Trevor from GTAV in a game not known in any way for gore and intense violence.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 15th, 2021, 1:48 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:1. Halo and Dead or Alive 3 - Technically, it wasn't Master Chief but some other Spartan that showed up as a playable character if I recall correctly.

Link in Soul Caliber II GC...

Thanks for correcting me. My memory is clearly getting bad. It's good to grow old.

Return to “Video Games General”