VGC games that are given an F

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

VGC games that are given an F

Postby matmico399 » November 26th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Of all the games the VCG has reviewed that got a letter grade of F, which ones do you think are worthy of much higher ratings? I agree with Dave on 80% of his reviews but I think he has been harsh on many of his reviews. What say you!

Crummylion

Re: VGC games that are given an F

Postby Crummylion » November 27th, 2021, 12:49 am

I'd say Sonic Unleashed, but the criticism is exclusively with the werehog stages (and the hub world that I like...) Sonic Generations fixed all the issues with that and the pc version can be modded to included the Unleashed stages, for a more definitive experience. That's out of the question, but a game I did like was Sonic Lost World. Or at least, I remembered liking it when I was 15. Replaying it several years later and it just isn't as fun or intuitive as I remember. I guess I was just desperate for an Adventure styled game. Wouldn't give it an F, but does deserve the E.T. award. Maybe a solid D.
I don't have a lot of ground on Frogger on ps1 as what I have is mostly nostalgia. I feel like there's more to criticize in that game, nevermind the fact that review was in his early days. I'm just dreading when he reviews the other game I had memories of, Tarzan on ps1, after his harsh review of the handheld version.
I'm not commenting on Drakengard 3 as I haven't played it, but I will say he's bound to piss off a lot of Nier/Drakengard fans. lol
He's entitled to his opinions, but I'm curious to know how he would have responded to Star Fox Adventures if he knew of the context surrounding its development shift or his feelings if the game stayed as Dinosaur Planet. There's still theories behind Nintendo's actual reasons to shift the game from Dinosaur Planet to Star Fox Adventures, like them trying to hold on to Rare a little bit longer by turning Rare's game into their own due to the incoming Microsoft buyout. The company was literally bought the day after the game's release after all. Then again, the game was in development since 1997 and the leaked n64 build showed Fox in the game, but he's called Sabre. But hey, it's just a theory. (Maybe the critic could review the beta and compare the two, if someone here took the time to put a rom of the beta in a cart.)
I find it hilarious the critic gave the original GTA an F though. You'd think the precursor to one of the biggest franchise should deserve some slack, but I guess GTA 3 did owe its existence to Body Harvest (the other Rockstar/DMA Design game.) But now I guess I'm waiting on a review on that and Space Station Sillicon Valley.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » November 27th, 2021, 7:48 am

Definately golveillius for sega master system. While it had its quirks, I loved it and its always on top 20 lists for master system. F indicates the worst on a system, and this always seemed wrong for this game

But, it's his opinion and that what's this site is all about!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 27th, 2021, 11:24 am

I have mixed feelings. There are many reviews the Critic was too generous towards, while many too harsh. This is just down to personal taste.

What do we want anyway? A genuine personal opinion of the games the Critic plays? Or do we want some political tradeoff, some middle ground where the Critic for sake of appearances uses other reviews to bias his own? I personally would not wish to read a review by the Critic wondering if this was his genuine opinion - i.e. questioning whether the review is fake or manufactured.

The Critic upgraded the grade for Goldeneye with me groaning about it and a few others. Since that day I have been slightly uncomfortable playing a role in making the Critic try to appease his audience. If he does not like a well loved game (or well hated as in the case of a title like Sonic Rise of Lyric), there is an alternative option in the sequel.

I do not think it is a bad idea if the Critic, on certain titles, posts up an alternative User Review like he did with Bloodborne. His original review ruffled many feathers, but an alternative review from a different talented writer would allow a different perspective. At the end of the day, most of the reviews from the well known sites have many journalists. It is not possible for a single person to love the entire spectrum of genre's out there. Not everyone likes ARPG's, Puzzlers, or Strategy turn based titles with die roll mechanics. One guy cannot possibly like it all.

My two cents, for alternative viewpoints - games like God of War 2018 PS4 and Witcher 3, hugely revered by millennials and some older gamers, could do with an alternative guest review for an alternative opinion. Similarly something like Sonic Rise of Lyric could get another review opinion. I am thinking more along the lines of someone new visiting the site and noting that Sonic Rise of Lyric is graded higher than Witcher 3. Again, this is down to personal taste, but folks can either be too self entitled or beguiled by public opinion something like that could be bad optics (many people would not realize that the purpose of this site is not to act as an all inclusive and authoritative source of video game reviews - since as we all know, nothing could possibly be canon or authoritative in this regard).

My two cents.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 27th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Disney’s Tarzan for the GBC. I enjoyed it as a kid; while some of the problems he lists are legit, it also sounds like he expected a different sort of game & graded it based on his expectations instead of his experience.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 28th, 2021, 9:06 am

Two games:
Double Dragon (rated F by VGC) - I played this for hours when I was a kid. I liked the game a lot. Especially because it has a two player mode. Also, the graphics and music are rather nice. But yeah, a lot of flickering and maybe a little hard to control in comparison with the NES version. Still, I think it is a decent game. But maybe that's just nostalgia speaking. C+

Mad Dog McCree Gunslinger Pack (Wii) (rated F by VGC) - I agree the games in this package aren't anything amazing, but this title finally gave me the change to play this (infamous) titles, and I had a lot of fun with it (especially thanks to the over-the-top-acting). Despite the games not being great, I feel they work really well with the Wii motion-controls. D+

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » November 28th, 2021, 11:37 am

I too agree with 80% of VGC reviews, if I disagree I take it with a grain of salt and try to see his point of view.

The one that surprised me the most was the review of The Great American Cross Country Road Race for the Atari 8-bit. This game is a sequel to Enduro for the 2600 - only souped-up and strategic (outrunning cops & picking your route in a Cannonball Run type race across the country). I was surprised he flunked this game and gave Enduro a B+.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2021, 11:56 am

Interesting thread! I was actually thinking about starting one of these but you beat me to it.

I think the fact that my grades range from A+ to F- makes the grades seem very "extreme", at least compare to major game sites where the grades tend to range from A to C. They can't offend their sponsors!

Also, I really try to keep nostalgia out of the equation. I want to be objective. Most of the people reading these reviews have never heard of these games and probably weren't even alive when they were released. I want them to know what to expect if they pick up the game today, for the first time.

Nostalgia is great for enhancing enjoyment of old games but it's a case of "you had to be there". It's funny to see people saying "I played this game a million times when I was young". Well of course you did. Back in the day we got three or four games per year so you're going to make the most of them.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 28th, 2021, 2:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:...my grades... seem very "extreme", at least compare to major game sites...

I have certainly noticed this. In fact, I think it’s my favorite thing about the site!

I do feel that, even back in the magazine days, it was rare for GamePro to give a game a 1.5 or a 2 in Fun Factor, or rare for an EGM reviewer to go any lower than a 4 or 5. There’s always been some aspect of sponsorship involved - even back then - which made the bad scores stand out even more.

Nowadays, a game gets a 6 on Gamespot, and people say it’s “bad.” I don’t understand that logic. I remember back when Gamespot gave Superman for the N64 a 1.3. Now *that’s* a bad score! But a 6? Come on.

I think the lowest score I’ve seen on Gamespot lately is a 4, which was given to No More Heroes III. Oh, dear. I’ll still get the game when it’s $20, but at least I know to keep my expectations low.

It really is something to see people melt down when a game they like gets a low score. I’ve never understood that. Whether it’s on this site or any other, the reviewer’s opinion shouldn’t matter any more - or less - than your own. If you play a game and like it, great! If someone else plays it and hates it, so what?? It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. If you like it, that’s what really counts.

I also don’t get the “revenge tour” people will take to protest a low score. Even this site hasn’t been immune to review-bombing or people threatening some sort of boycott. Sheesh. It’s one thing to be unhappy with a review, but to feel the need to take some sort of action because of it? No, thanks - I brought my lunch today...

(Plus, the site has the Reader Score option for a reason. USE IT!!. Rarely do the reader grades match the score give by the Critic - which I believe is a very good thing.)

If anything, I’m happy to see a dissenting opinion on this site. Some of my favorite games - even current-gen ones - have gotten a F on here. While I don’t agree with the score, it does give me the opportunity to see the game from someone else’s point of view, and to look for the faults I may otherwise not have noticed. Rarely will it change how I feel about a game, but it does give me the chance to look at it a little differently.

It’s one thing to say you hate something. It’s another thing entirely to be able to explain why.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Also, I really try to keep nostalgia out of the equation... Back in the day we got three or four games per year so you're going to make the most of them.

Heh, ain’t that the truth?? I honestly try my best to limit my "major" game purchases to only two or three a year, even nowadays. I find I enjoy them much more when I do.

Also, nostalgia can really go both ways. I’m still upset about my Dad getting me the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game for the NES for my birthday. He basically bought the game to play it for himself. Not that I want to complain too much about getting a video game for my birthday, but as a kid, I think we've all been there, where parents will do something for themselves but "disguise" it as something for you.

(And they thought we wouldn't notice...)

I think I played it twice. Nostalgia be damned - that game was just no good. Not then. Not now. Not ever.

strat

Postby strat » November 28th, 2021, 9:46 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:Two games:
Double Dragon (rated F by VGC) - I played this for hours when I was a kid. I liked the game a lot. Especially because it has a two player mode. Also, the graphics and music are rather nice. But yeah, a lot of flickering and maybe a little hard to control in comparison with the NES version. Still, I think it is a decent game. But maybe that's just nostalgia speaking. C+

Is this the Master System version? He gave the VCS, 7800 and Genesis versions an "F" as well and they all have 2-player co-op.

Return to “Video Games General”