What are your favorite video game generations?

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

What are your favorite video game generations?

Postby matmico399 » December 1st, 2021, 7:44 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while. There are now nine gens of consoles. If you could only pick two generations, which would you choose? For me I believe I would pick generation 4 and generation 6. Those are the two I definitely have played the most and enjoyed the most. What about you?

Zack Burner

Re: What are your favorite video game generations?

Postby Zack Burner » December 1st, 2021, 8:06 pm

This one's a no brainer for me: Generations 4 and 5. These two were the era of innovation, more control, improved graphics/effects, introduction to voiceovers and more cooperative play. What more could you ask?

Voor

Postby Voor » December 1st, 2021, 8:29 pm

What are the breakdown of generations?

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » December 2nd, 2021, 3:14 pm

Voor wrote:What are the breakdown of generations?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_vi ... enerations

Mine would definitely be 4th and 5th. 90% of what I play is from these eras. I do have a lot of nostalgia for 6th gen too, and I’m starting to wanna revisit a ton of PS2 stuff. So it would be close between 5th and 6th.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 2nd, 2021, 6:04 pm

I think the second generation was my favorite, just because everything was so new and exciting.

My second favorite was probably the 4th, with the Genesis and SNES going at it. This was when 2D game was at its peak, although in recent years it has made quite the comeback.

Still, I have fond memories of every generation.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 2nd, 2021, 6:59 pm

In all honesty, 8th generation evolving to 9th. Once you find your groove, there is plenty out there to amuse and engross oneself. Considering all genre's the 8th/9th is going to be weaker across the board since there is only so much novelty one can add to well known concepts. Conversely, in more niche corners, it has never been better than now. 8th gen for the win, 9th gen we shall find out 8-)

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 3rd, 2021, 5:25 pm

This is kind of difficult as a topic. Can we count things like backwards compatibility or compilations and the like? If that is the case I would actually rank the current generations really high. I can play NES and SNES games on my switch as well as great currentish games like Zelda BOTW and Hades. There are so many classic compilations like the Castlevania collection that I feel many of the current/newer generations can give you the best of both worlds.

If we are only counting original hardware though, than the question becomes much more difficult.

The problem with the older generations is the lack of saving ability and the general wear and tear on them. I have controllers that sometimes have issues on my SNES, my Saturn has discs that skip, my PS2 will sometimes not read something. So that would need to be taken into consideration.

Alright... so counting backwards compatibility I'm going to say 8th gen. The X-Box one has some limited backwards compatibility with original X-Box and 360 games, and the switch has all kinds of retro software. And obviously there is a ton of modern software out for all 3 of the current systems.

Not counting backwards compatibility I'll go with 6th Generation. (GC, PS2, Xbox and Dreamcast) Graphics start getting genuinely good at this point, production values go up without it being insanely ridiculous (like many of the EA titles of the last ... decade I guess.) and I feel that the spirit of the big companies was still in it. Things like Gears of War and Halo were just getting started, and were full of passion and hadn't warn out their welcome or turned into just blatant cash cows like they are now. (That isn't to say the later games in the series weren't decent, I'd just rather play Halo 1+2 or Gears of War 1+2 over the later entries into the series.)

Bit of a long answer there, but that's what I got.

djc

Postby djc » December 4th, 2021, 1:35 am

3 and 4 for me.

Third because I love the Master System. Fourth because of the variety in platforms and mediums.

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 4th, 2021, 8:21 am

It's weird that Wikipedia skips the Atari 5200 and Colecovision generation. It was brief, but definitely a step above the 2600/Intellivision.

For me, it will always be the 8 bit and 16 bit generations because they still hold up. The PS4 and XBOX One generation is my least favorite, because it didn't differentiate itself from PC, which is now far superior. Physical media is also not the same anymore, with updates and mandatory installs. The Switch has been the only bright spot this generation. The PS5 and XBOX Series X are also not instilling much excitement due to lack of availability, few exclusives, and PC superiority. However, if I didn't have a decent gaming PC, I might feel different.

tatzelbelm

Postby tatzelbelm » December 5th, 2021, 11:06 am

For me it would 4th and 6th generation.

I think those two were peaks of 2D and 3D gaming respectively.

Return to “Video Games General”