Reviews you Hate

General and high profile video game topics.
k8track

Re: Reviews you Hate

Postby k8track » August 17th, 2022, 10:13 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm putting Pengo and 3D Tic Tac Toe on the re-review list. At least those shouldn't take long.

Outstanding, thanks! Thanks for giving it another shot. Perhaps a two-player experience might be more enjoyable? I still love the graphics, and it does exactly what it sets out to do. When I was a kid, I was fascinated at all the ways you could win using all four planes and the multi-pronged strategies involved. You could fool your opponent into focusing on just one plane and then BAM! Sneak attack.

And it was programmed by none other than Carol Shaw, to boot, of Polo and Video Checkers fame.

jon

Postby jon » August 17th, 2022, 8:21 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Your Real Bout 2 review confused it with being the end of the Fatal Fury series, and claims they just ran out of ideas.,

But the best game in the series, Mark of the Wolves - and a strong contender for best fighting game on the platform - was the very next game in the series.

There's plenty of reviews I disagree with - but this is the first time I've seen you just be completely wrong, and potentially misleading anyone who reads your reviews to learn a bit about console gaming history.

Go on. Tell me what I was completely wrong about. I will give the game another look.

You were just wrong about it being the end of the Fatal Fury series. And can they really be running out of ideas if their next game is widely regarded as the best one? It'd be like reviewing the Castlevania games, claiming Dracula X on SNES was the end of a tired franchise, and skipping Symphony.

Plus, there's a real story here.

Mark of the Wolves was SNK's dated tech and talented artists trying to keep up with the brand new CPS III hardware. Also, since the original Fatal Fury was Nishiyama Takashi's flawed spiritual sequel to the original Street Fighter, the question has to be asked - was the best game in SNK's alternate take ever as good as the Capcom fighters it competed with?

I agree with Pixelated. If more people knew about Garou it'd be great because they could then buy the game. Potential buyers from the U.S should get the U.S. version of course. It's only $10,000+. Japanese version is only $2,000, and the MVS is only $500. So that's nothing really. Although back to reality, I'm feeling a serious case of look who's talking because I'm an idiot and actually paid a healthy amount for a Senguku 3 MVS. But anyone who knows about the Real Bout Series knows about Garou. And literally no one cares about gobbling up these MVS cartridges. It's a case of through emulation and whatever, people know about Garou.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 17th, 2022, 9:28 pm

"Hate" is a strong word, but your Destination Earthstar review on the NES is so incomplete that it doesn't live up to your standards for the site. Someone reading the review would have no idea that every other stage was a side-scroller; you make it sound like it's just a Star Raiders clone, but half the gameplay is nothing of the sort!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 18th, 2022, 2:30 pm

jon wrote:I agree with Pixelated. If more people knew about Garou it'd be great because they could then buy the game.

Just $7.99 for a digital copy.

If you're going to price the physical releases, don't forget to count the Dreamcast and PS2,

Anyways, thanks for reminding me that anyone who only knows Fatal Fury from the anime and the Smash Bros reveal, should still have the common sense to learn all about SNK's third most iconic fighting game franchise of the 90's, to these dark corners of the internet.

But why take that knowledge for granted?

Even in 2020, a debate still wages over a flat Earth....somehow. Or whether the SNES had the raw cpu muscle needed to run games like Smash TV, Ninja Warriors, and Rendering Ranger?

If some people's religion still won't allow them to acknowledge a Die Hard Trilogy port, or an analysis of Sonic R and Sonic Jam's 3d engines? Then we shouldn't assume everyone's as knowledgeable about the 90's as those of us old enough to remember playing these games back when they were new.

jon

Postby jon » August 18th, 2022, 6:20 pm

When you say digital copy, is that for a specific system(s) like new ones?

And as for the PS2 compilations, those aren’t really arcade quality. I’d look into a PS2 fighting game joystick if going that route. The problem is how much do the graphics take a hit. Besides my actual Neo Geo’s and the “supposedly” arcade perfect Neo SD flash cart, it’s tough sledding trying to find a good alternative. I remember playing some of the compilations and couldn’t believe how bland Baseball Stars 2 looks compared to in the arcades. Not to get too off track, but I’d totally recommend doing that if you wanted to play them arcade perfect getting a Neo Geo. Maybe it’ll cost a few Grand but it’s worth it. Just get the flash cart and some games. I’m trying to agree my flash cart is arcade perfect.

The VGC reviewed Garou for the Dreamcast and I agree with the score. Granted it’s viewed by a lot of people as one of the Neo Geo’s best, The game isn’t unanimously thought of as the system’s best game. It’s not like a Genesis section leaving out NHL ‘94. Although there being no FF7 review was great lol.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 18th, 2022, 8:11 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm putting Pengo and 3D Tic Tac Toe on the re-review list. At least those shouldn't take long.

That Fighting Force 2 however is another story. I remember it being very bland. I will think about it...

Fighting force on ps1 was great. Admittedly the two player game had so much slow down it rendered the game unplayable. Part 2 had a novel take on that problem. On a superior system it was one player only. So the only way it could compete was by was by taking a retrograde step.
Next up the woeful game play. It was just play dull and it was extremely hard. One good thing was you could get your health back. You fight some more baddies then lose some health, time to go back for more health, no sorry the door has closed and you cannot get back to it. A cardinal sin in video game terms. Then there was the third level. One stray bullet fired for your gun blew up a missile and ended the game no matter how many lives you had in reserve. Dreadful game and nothing like the first one.
Giving it a f- is being generous. This game is fumbling the ball in the end zone, then the defense pick it up, then run 105 yards and score a touchdown at the other end. It is a complete own goal.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 18th, 2022, 10:47 pm

Hate is such a strong word. More like despise, loathe, abhor (I kid). The only review that made me say “aw man bah” was the INTV review of Tron Solar Sailor. Not only did you hate the game (which I always liked), but you also hated on the film (I loved the movie Tron growing up, had it on VHS, or was in Betamax, and saw it 1.2 million times). After reading your review, and sobbing for seven days and seven nights in a fetal position in our walk-in closet, I eventually got over it.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 20th, 2022, 5:14 am

jon wrote:The VGC reviewed Garou for the Dreamcast and I agree with the score. Granted it’s viewed by a lot of people as one of the Neo Geo’s best, The game isn’t unanimously thought of as the system’s best game. It’s not like a Genesis section leaving out NHL ‘94. Although there being no FF7 review was great lol.

His brief review mostly complains about the dated graphics. It's far from his best work, and it's no wonder he'd already forgotten it when returning to the franchise.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2022, 12:41 pm

What is this Garou review everyone is talking about? Never heard of a game with that name.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 20th, 2022, 12:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:What is this Garou review everyone is talking about? Never heard of a game with that name.

Garou Mark of the Wolves=Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves. I guess.
https://videogamecritic.com/dcff.htm#rev824

Return to “Video Games General”