Game you NEVER want to play again

General and high profile video game topics.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Game you NEVER want to play again

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 6th, 2022, 8:28 am

Blasteroids? Kidding. I love that game.

Doom Eternal. The trashing of the series. Doom raider or Doom youngblood as I call it. Any version of Doom, deep in the s*** but never out gunned. Doom raider. Jump around like crazy. Loads of boring cut scenes. Not scary. QTEs to get extra ammo as you are always running out of it. Superb graphics, Jaw dropping throughout and you will just look at the scenery and gasp. The game however is a complete departure from series.

I loved SNES Doom. One of my faves of the series that they managed to get it working. Oh, I also loved Starfox on the SNES.

Karateka on the Atari7800. A great game on all systems, then so badly programmed on the 7800. Shuffle shuffle die is the game play.

I am a huge SNES fan. Plus I loved the N64 and the Cube.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 6th, 2022, 9:00 am

I won't play Starfox 64 ever again, it just gets too easy, though don't get me wrong, I loved it's concept, yet ironically I prefer the SNES Starfox, why is that? I love a challenge, the harder it is the better as long as it does not border on impossible. I won't play Turtles in Time again either, I've played it to death and it has gotten too easy, I'll take Golden Axe instead.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 6th, 2022, 5:53 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:Doom Eternal. The trashing of the series.

Couldn't agree more.

I was pretty excited about Doom 2016 when I first heard about it. I knew none of the original id team was working on the game, but I liked the graphic, over-the-top direction it seemed to be taking.

Then, of course, I played it.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the game looked great and ran well, but... it just wasn't Doom. Set-piece battles? Enemies that re-spawn in waves when you enter certain rooms? Cutscenes, and a story? Jumping?

JUMPING??

I don't play many FPS games these days, just because I prefer my games of that kind to be true run-and-gun action, with little to no story. It seems like nearly every modern FPS is chock full of cutscenes and story sequences, as well as puzzle-solving parts that just drag the game down. I can handle a bit of jumping (Quake) or a lot of mapping (Turok) if I know that's what I'm getting into ahead of time. But for Doom? Naaaaaaaaah.

BlasteroidAli wrote:I loved SNES Doom. One of my faves of the series that they managed to get it working.

Nice to know I'm not alone!

A few years back, modders discovered you could disable the oscillator inside of FX game cartridges which controlled the clock speed, and replace it with a faster oscillator at a higher speed. This would make the 3D parts of the game run a bit faster and smoother, while still keeping things like music and timekeeping running at their original speed. For SNES Doom, the smoother gameplay really makes a world of difference.

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?23839-Guide-How-to-overclock-your-SNES-Super-FX-games

I have followed that guide, myself, for Doom, Star Fox, and Stunt Race FX. It kinda breaks Stunt Race, as the game engine runs so much faster - but the in-game clock doesn't - that you will obliterate your old lap records and times, and rarely have to worry about running out of time during the races.

For Doom, it makes the gameplay smoother and the controls much more responsive. However, it does speed up the monster animation cycles, and makes them react quicker, as well. Kinda turns SNES Doom into a sort of "expert challenge" - but if you already know the game inside and out, you may find that challenge welcome!

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » July 6th, 2022, 8:30 pm

So I just beat Doom Eternal, since we're talking about it, and like I said in the 'all the way through' thread, I didn't enjoy this one as much as Doom 2016.

Doom 2016 felt like a sort of modern redo of the series. The monster design was good, the gore and difficulty was good, and it had just enough of an amusing story to keep going. But of course, the combat and exploring (and finding the old levels) was really fun. I was really looking forward to Doom Eternal afterwards.

And jesus... what the heck happened? The gameplay is so incredibly platform heavy (in an FPS) and the storyline is genuinely garbage. They add all these factions and a damn floating castle and stuff. It's just not Doom. I honestly feel like I enjoyed Doom 3 more than Doom Eternal and Doom 3 many people consider to sort of be the bastard child of the earlier games. (And as there was a long gap between Doom 3 and Doom 2016, I probably wasn't alone in that assessment.)

The whole 'heaven and hell' thing in Doom Eternal makes sense on paper, I mean, with Diablo you have a war between heaven and hell, but just like in Diablo 3, once you get both sides of the conflict being shown it seems to lose the mystery and enjoyment of it. Doom 3 and Doom 2016 hinting at the Demons taking over other worlds was an enjoyable mystery. Like Hell was just conquering any planet that got advanced enough to start experimenting with teleportation.

Doom Eternal goes so far in with the Sentinels and the 'Makyrs' (angels) and the story is just... ugh. It's garbage. Now that I'm done with Doom Eternal I can say I'm happy to have played through the entire series. Doom 2016 I'll probably go through again at some point and get all the exploration things I missed. Doom Eternal? Don't see myself going through that one again any time soon.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 7th, 2022, 3:15 am

I like the game, but it does have way too much "epic" Warhammer 40K bullshit.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 7th, 2022, 6:13 am

Alucard1191 wrote:So I just beat Doom Eternal, since we're talking about it, and like I said in the 'all the way through' thread, I didn't enjoy this one as much as Doom 2016.

Doom 2016 felt like a sort of modern redo of the series. The monster design was good, the gore and difficulty was good, and it had just enough of an amusing story to keep going. But of course, the combat and exploring (and finding the old levels) was really fun. I was really looking forward to Doom Eternal afterwards.

And jesus... what the heck happened? The gameplay is so incredibly platform heavy (in an FPS) and the storyline is genuinely garbage. They add all these factions and a damn floating castle and stuff. It's just not Doom. I honestly feel like I enjoyed Doom 3 more than Doom Eternal and Doom 3 many people consider to sort of be the bastard child of the earlier games. (And as there was a long gap between Doom 3 and Doom 2016, I probably wasn't alone in that assessment.)

The whole 'heaven and hell' thing in Doom Eternal makes sense on paper, I mean, with Diablo you have a war between heaven and hell, but just like in Diablo 3, once you get both sides of the conflict being shown it seems to lose the mystery and enjoyment of it. Doom 3 and Doom 2016 hinting at the Demons taking over other worlds was an enjoyable mystery. Like Hell was just conquering any planet that got advanced enough to start experimenting with teleportation.

Doom Eternal goes so far in with the Sentinels and the 'Makyrs' (angels) and the story is just... ugh. It's garbage. Now that I'm done with Doom Eternal I can say I'm happy to have played through the entire series. Doom 2016 I'll probably go through again at some point and get all the exploration things I missed. Doom Eternal? Don't see myself going through that one again any time soon.

Yikes, thanks for the details. I had minimal interest in Doom Eternal, though I do enjoy breaking out Doom, Doom II and Doom 64 on my Switch every so often.

I'll stick to Metroid Prime for FPS Platforming, thank you very much...

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 7th, 2022, 12:48 pm

The RPG mode in Mortal Kombat: Deception. It desperately wants to be Shenmue, but it tells the story of the world's most gullible fanboy, and how he wasted his life playing an extended tutorial.

Message received.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » July 25th, 2022, 5:00 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:This one is a ‘be careful what you wish for’ game. Food Fight arcade, 1983. Played this a ton as a kid in the arcades and it was my holy grail to play it over the years. Then my son told me it was available for the X-Box (I think 360). We played it to death and had a great time. But then the magic was gone from the game. Pinball PA in Hopewell, PA has Food Fight arcade, but I never play it when visiting fam. The thrill has vanished.

My best friend loved that game and I liked it but man that is one of the hardest games ever made. Not Gravatar hard but too hard for me, I never could get good at it but it has that “just one more game” effect on me!

Mpls_Vato

Postby Mpls_Vato » September 15th, 2022, 10:26 pm

There are a lot of games I could probably list if I took the time to think about it and went through the libraries of every console. However there was a game that immediately came to mind and that is the 16 bit Madden games. They are so slow, clunky and unrefined they just make for a miserable gaming experience if I try to play them today. The 32/64 bit games are meh but still somewhat playable. I still enjoy playing the PS2 Madden games. They really rendered the earlier generation games obsolete in my opinion.

jon

Postby jon » September 18th, 2022, 6:41 pm

I never thought I'd say this but Twisted Metal 2 is really in my dog house right now. The exploration element has aged like milk. It's literally a waste of time with those graphics. And that was the best part. Maybe one day in the future my mind will change. But this in my opinion is one of the those games that was great in the 90's, but it was a totally different story as generations went by and graphics got better. And even beyond the graphics, some stages are just so annoying. Moscow if you get a bad draw and/or if Spectre is there, forget about it. You've just wasted at least 10-15 minutes getting the right weapons at the end of Los Angeles. Time to do it again. Paris the same as well as Holland and just about every level.

Return to “Video Games General”