Game you NEVER want to play again

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Game you NEVER want to play again

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 25th, 2022, 12:48 pm

What game are you sure you never want to play again?

It might be because the game is so bad, you can't tolerate it. It might be the game was fine but you just got sick of it. Maybe it was too easy. Or many there's something random about the game that rubs you the wrong way.

I wish I could offer a personal example, but nothing comes to me as of this moment... so I'll let someone else get it started.

Zack Burner

Re: Game you NEVER want to play again

Postby Zack Burner » June 25th, 2022, 2:37 pm

Gee this is a tricky subject, but I guess sooner or later you have to get it off your chest right? I think I'll start:

Pit Fighter (SNES) - If the lousy graphics and sound weren't enough, you get creamed easily and you can't even throw a punch or kick.

Grand Theft Auto (PS1) - plain graphics, choppy sound, and awkward gameplay. Don't know why it was chosen for the PS Classic.

Persona (PS1) - I may be an RPG fan, but this one just doesn't cut it for me, I couldn't understand it.

Ghostbusters (NES) - I may be a big fan of the movie, but this movie is such a bore.

Kirby's Avalance (SNES) I used to like Kirby, now not so much, too saccharine for my tastes.

Kirby's Adventure (NES) Same reason like above.

Captain Comic (NES) a few playthroughs is good enough good game, but after you beat it nothing else.

Doom (SNES) there are better versions to play than this one.

Donkey Kong 64 (N64) gets way too convoluted and the whole collectathon gets overwhelming. I'll stick with the SNES versions.

Final Fight (SNES) - We've moved on and the first one hasn't held up well. Number 3 all the way.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 25th, 2022, 5:27 pm

The PS3 version of Tomb Raider: Underworld. Wretched frame rate, nasty bug in the Mexico level that forced me to start the whole game over. The 360 and PC versions, however, are excellent.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 25th, 2022, 7:03 pm

Taz-Genesis. I hated that game when I first played it, I hated that I actually bought it, I hated that I got lil money for it on resale. This one still sits in my crawl as a game I never wish to play again. Hell I'd rather play Bubsy then that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 25th, 2022, 7:12 pm

matmico399 wrote:Taz-Genesis. I hated that game when I first played it, I hated that I actually bought it, I hated that I got lil money for it on resale. This one still sits in my crawl as a game I never wish to play again. Hell I'd rather play Bubsy then that.

Funny story about this. My friend Eric and I were pretty gung ho about this game until we played it, and yeah, it was not so good.

So our first instinct was to run over Video Game Traders to see if we could recoup some of our hard-earned cash.

We got there and were mortified to see a long row of Taz games behind the counter. There must have been at least 25. We didn't think they'd even be willing to take ours.

Sure enough, they gave us like $30 each or something crazy like that. It was hard to maintain our "poker" faces. We took off from that place like a pair of bandits!

Den

Postby Den » June 25th, 2022, 7:52 pm

This is a different angle, but Breath of the Wild.

I bought this game when I was briefly unemployed, so I was playing it every day. I finished every shrine, did every sidequest, found every Korok seed, collected every single thing there is to collect. Then I got the DLC and completely finished everything in it, too. And when I finished the Trial of the Sword, I turned it off and never played it again. After spending 250 hours on it, the thought of starting over from scratch is just too overwhelming.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 25th, 2022, 8:19 pm

Den wrote:This is a different angle, but Breath of the Wild.

I bought this game when I was briefly unemployed, so I was playing it every day. I finished every shrine, did every sidequest, found every Korok seed, collected every single thing there is to collect. Then I got the DLC and completely finished everything in it, too. And when I finished the Trial of the Sword, I turned it off and never played it again. After spending 250 hours on it, the thought of starting over from scratch is just too overwhelming.

This will surprise you all, I like Legend of Zelda, but I'm not playing Ocarina of Time again, not because I didn't like it, it's awfully time consuming and at times frustrating, even on an emulator which was how I played it. The biggest area of the time consumption was the Water Temple, and I'm sure everyone reading this will agree with me. I'll forever stick with A Link to the Past.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 25th, 2022, 8:33 pm

Probably any of the NES "Black Box" sport titles. They always seemed rather slow and janky to me. And since there's far better sports games on the NES, there's no real need to even bother taking any of these out of the box.

Also, Action 52. Again for the NES. I'd hate to have been the kid who either saved up his or her money to buy this or received this as a Christmas or birthday present back in the day. There's not one remotely decent game on this thing. Not one!!! And worst of all, there's more than a few games that are just broken in one way or another. A total waste of $200 bucks, and if I was that unfortunate kid who bought this or got it as a gift, I'd been totally appalled...

strat

Postby strat » June 25th, 2022, 8:36 pm

The last time I played OOT all the way through was about 8 years ago in Master Quest. I timed the Water Temple - 1:45.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 25th, 2022, 10:48 pm

How about not going back to a game because you know you’ll get addicted again? I never played World of Warcraft, precisely because I heard it became life-consumingly addictive. I’m sure many WoW players also said “never again” once they broke free of its grasp. For me, the NBA 2K series can do that with me.. I get completely sucked into MyPlayer for weeks or months, competing online. I only buy NBA 2K once every 3 or 4 years, just to spread out the timesuck.

Return to “Video Games General”